• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Longest time between bike purchase and first ride?
  • geoffj

Bought my first carbon road bike on 10 September last year.
    First proper ride on it today.

over 6 months due to various issues. 😕

It’s very nice though 😀
    Might do it again tomorrow if the weather holds!

boltonjon

I’ve got a mate with a brand new Soul frame in his attic – been there 3 years. All the bits sat next to it – even has two sets of new forks to fit

What’s worse is the Liteville 301 frame, bought last September and now placed next to the Soul frame

chiefgrooveguru

What’s worse is the Liteville 301 frame, bought last September and now placed next to the Soul frame

Aaarghhhhh!!! Do you think we could arrange some scheme where those that like buying bikes but not riding them team up with those that like riding bikes but would rather not have to spend lots of money on them?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Got a new road bike on 6th Feb this year, just road it (on rollers) today, for the first time.

Nowhere near as long as yours!

hora
    Free Member

Blur4X frame 2006. Built by me 2009.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I bought a 29er hardtail last June I have yet to give it a trail ride. I have ridden it on the road though…..

binners

In my experience this always reinforces the Llandegla car park theory. Where the amount spent on a bike is inversely proportional to how often it gets ridden

When I worked in the city centre I would ride into work every day. At the time on my SS or my Voodoo Wanga. I had one of the blokes in the office next door was blathering on about the spec on his new carbon nomad. Carbon this, XTR that blah, blah, blah….

So I asked the obvious question: “his does it ride?”

“Don’t know. Haven’t had chance to ride it properly yet”

“Oh… How long have you had it?”

“Erm…. It’s about 4 or 5 months now”

At that point the bell-end-o-meter went off the scale. And … Yes … In answer to the next obvious question. He did have an Audi 😀

If I buy a new bike, then that’s the day it gets ridden! I’m like a child, and I get too pant-wettingly excited not too!

binners

Double post

hora
    Free Member

If I get a frame Fri aft. Its built Fri night ready for Sat am.

Eeeeeeeee not had to do that in ages (thank ****).

Binners, ready for your shafting on a epic scale by 11 foreign men tonight?

wwaswas

I ordered a singular Puffin some time ago…

Otherwise I’m with hora – if I have to wait more than 2 days to ride a new frame I’m disappointed.

Northwind

I was building my 224 for about 4 months. I replaced some parts before I’d even ridden it, and ended up having to use my trailbike for an uplift holiday because I’d got distracted into painting the fork lowers 😆

philbert31
    Free Member

Im picking the new Nic in a few weeks time off Dipper, Im booking four days off for the occasion, on the way back down I’ll be sampling the delights of Aviemore, Laggan, Glentress and Inners. Happy Days! 😀

shortcut

About a month. Ordered bike, broke elbow, picked bike up, sulked – kinda recovered rode it.

Usually it is less than 24hours though. Including build time.

GJP
    Free Member

Over 4 years. Whyte 19c ordered Dec 2008, arrived May 2009 first ridden July 2013. Partly down to illness but I then bought a scott scale 35 and rode that for a couple of years. I had an accident last June, knackered one of the brakes on ths scott. If that hadn’t happened I expect the whyte would remain unridden!

I had a cove handjob that I never rode and sold before I got around to riding it, but I am not sure if that counts.

wiggles
    Free Member

Pr-ordered my alipine frame in July and only rode it last week after getting it finished.

Gary_C

hora – Member

If I get a frame Fri aft. Its built Fri night ready for Sat am.

And stripped down on Sunday, & on the classifieds by Monday? 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

My time trial wheels arrived in february.

Its now the end of march they are still in wheel bag.

No point riding them if its not a time trial…. They are tubular,carbon and 82mm deep

Sam

wwaswas – Member
    I ordered a singular Puffin some time ago…

Not really – you backed a project to allow for production of the frames, as and when they get here you will receive one as thanks for your investment.

oliverracing

longest time would be after purchasing my road bike – got it on the wednesday at about 4pm and rode it thursday at about 6am – so about 14 hours, as for shortest I have ridden a mates bike for a ride before, to get back to find it’s for sale for such a low price it would be rude not too buy it 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

I built a Cervelo S1 and never rode it. It sat in my bedroom fully built for a year then I sold it.

spawnofyorkshire

not technically my bike, but my mate has been waiting for me to build up his retro bike for about 8 months now
    it’s finally on my workstand but i CBA to do it now

Mister-P
    Free Member

Conversely I bought a Genesis Equilibrium in the morning, stripped and rebuilt it in the afternoon and rode it home that evening.

wwaswas

Sam – sorry, it really wasn’t a dig and I fully understand the process and the reason why I don’t have it yet. Apologies if it came across as me being upset by the delay and bad mouthing singular, it really wasn’t my intention – just trying to highlight the difference between this process and my usual approach.

hooli

I think the next day was the longest I have waited and that was only because it was belting it down at the time!

andytherocketeer

approximately May to September, between frame arriving and first ride.
    just laziness.

Northwind

My Onza arrived last night, I pulled it out of the box, fitted the bars, tested the brakes and rode off. Time from opening the box to crashing- 10 minutes.

Yak

I get irritated if it all takes longer than about a couple of days from frame arrival to build and 1st ride. A nice evening’s build on the frame arrival day is a pleasure. Finding that I don’t have the right bit/adaptor/something crucial at midnight winds me up and usually results in an awful bodge, just so I can ride it immediately.

Bodges then corrected in the following weeks.

mrmo
    Free Member

I struggle to understand how anyone can takes weeks let alone months from buying to riding. Last bike I acquired? (warranty replacement frame) was out and about within hours of getting the frame, and it was pissing it down.

D0NK

Got a warranty replacement last november, finally got it out for a ride couple weeks ago. Basically wasn’t sure whether I was going to keep it or sell it as it’s very similar to another frame I already have, plus there was a couple of parts I needed to get it built. “Ooh shiny new stuff” syndrome won in the end but as nice as it is I can’t justify keeping it, now for sale 1 ride old!

/hijack (all be it, completely on topic hijack)

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Bought my Cannondale at lunchtime and had to wait 4 hours to finish work before i could ride it, that was the longest i have waited.

when i bought the Nicolai i drove 30mins to the trail center and rode it, i’m with Binners, far too much of a child to wait

tomhoward

Bought a racey BMX cruiser in November that I havent ridden anywhere other than to the shop and back.

Bought a summer road bike in August that I’ve done less than 30 miles on thanks to cack weather. Have spent £lots upgrading it though 😕

kcal

The first bike I’d call a proper bike – steel Stumpjumper, c. 1988?

Drove up from Edinburgh to the LBS in Forres (!), collected just before shop shut. Saturday, took of round estate tracks round back of Tomintoul, Glen Avon.. Sunday, met up with a mate and headed up Loch Ericht, round of Ben Alder Munros, home to Edinburgh. Knackered, and the bike was rather bedded in..

rob2
    Free Member

I bought a liteville. Built but only ridden round the garden. 3 months now. Largely as it’s rained so much in Oxfordshire it’s only now half decent trails out there so been on my hardtail and cx.

(I don’t have an Audi or BMW)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Longest time between bike purchase and first ride?’ is closed to new replies.