Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • London to Brussels – Has anyone done it?
  • belgianwaffle1

Thinking of doing London to Brussels this summer around July and I was wondering if anyone has routes / hotel recommendations.

I was initially going to go along the coastline to Bruges and then head south, but the idea of using EuroVelo route 5 instead seems like a safer option.

Looking for either road or gravel routes as bike should be able to handle both.

TIA.

AdamT

A little bump as my bruv lives in Brussels and I’ve considered this in the past.

dknwhy

When it comes to cycling in that part of Europe, you can’t really go wrong.
    I’ve cycled to Bruges and back from Calais and have done a bit around Belgium.
    Just load a route into Komoot for your bike of choice and off you go. You’ll probably end up cycling on canal towpaths that put our roads to shame.
    Gravel bike is probably the comfier choice but depends on speed vs comfort and how pushed you are for time.
    As soon as I get a bit of time, I’m going to load up the bike and mooch around for a bit.

the00
    Free Member

I’ve not done it, but I have use the Fietsroute system for planning routes with low traffic. Some of the paths are not very direct though. A route further south near Kortreik or Roubaix could include some proper classic roads and cycling history.

hofnar
    Free Member

Many canal towpaths are tarmacced an trafic free for most bits.

Between Bruges and Gent there are two good options(done thme not too long ago). There is a canal beteen OOstende and Bruges and another one beteen Zeebrugge and Bruges that most likely offer the same.

From Gent you could include some legendary cycling grounds and cobblestones if you first got to Oudenaarde and from there to Brussels. Belgian especially flemish climbsare just bumps in the road and the cobblestones are not like those from Paris-Roubaix

belgianwaffle1

Ok thanks all. In terms of taking the ferry, how did you present your documents? Is there a booth or someone who comes round and inspects them?

Also any recommendations for cycling friendly hotel chains in Belgium/France?

Thanks.

Pierre

I’ve cycled from London to Brussels a couple of times with organised groups on road bikes. We’ve gone via the Dover-Calais ferry, which is usually pretty straightforward, the port staff will direct where you need to go, and you get the weird experience of riding your bike on and off the ferry. From Calais to Bruges is a nice ride, especially if you have the wind behind you, fairly flat and pretty. And Bruges is ace.

I can’t remember a lot about the ride from Bruges to Brussels. Well, that is, I can’t remember much positive. I recall endless miles of obligatory bike paths (where there’s a blue sign, you’re compelled to use the bike paths and aren’t allowed to ride on the road), which were safe but boring, hours of b’donk b’donk b’donk riding on the concrete slabs with tarmac expansion ridges between them. And Brussels itself was underwhelming to arrive into, from what I recall, but then most cities are if you have to ride through the outskirts for an hour or two.

Sorry not to sound more positive! My enduring memories of riding in Belgium are hard, dull, grey, windy and wet… it’s probably quite nice if you get good weather!

belgianwaffle1

@Pierre

haha thanks for the note. I agree that Brussels isn’t the most inspiring looking city when you are entering it, compared to something like Paris. The reason for going there is I have a lot of family there so I would have somewhere to stay.

Sounds like getting through the port isn’t too hard.

It’s also true that Belgium has some shocking cycling infrastructure. I guess I will have to look at the route quite carefully beforehand.

slowoldman

It’s also true that Belgium has some shocking cycling infrastructure.

Yeah but look at the stuff they race on!

Joe

I’d avoid belgium for cycle touring. The insane cycle path laws make it a total pain in the arse and drivers are worse than in the UK.

Do London to Paris – it’s charming and wonderful.

belgianwaffle1

@Joe

As mentioned above, although I admit that it is not the nicest route, I do have a lot of family in Belgium hence the choice.

plumber
    Free Member

I did manchester to mons in 2006 with a continental road map 🙂

Visited lots of areas in belgium including brugges and ghent

All lovely – highly recommended

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I think it was Belgium, might have been the Netherlands, but MANY Wild Roosters…

Wild Rooster sign

chaos

I’d avoid belgium for cycle touring.

That’s a shame, what if you’re going for a long weekend to loop round some of the Spring Classics routes?

I was thinking of a base in/near Oudenaarde and then finding some loops taking in the Koppenberg, Kwaremont, etc.

dovebiker

There’s some great cycling in Belgium, both the Flemish Ardennes and the Ardennes. Oudenaarde is a great spot, pick up a map from the RVV Centrum and fill yer boots – Koppenberg, Paterberg, Oude Kwaremont and all the little roads in between.

belgianwaffle1

Does anyone know a good bike friendly hotel near halfway between Calais and Brussels? Would be appreciated.

tjagain

I found cycling in belgium a delight and car drivers unfailingly courteous

HansRey

Mr waffle, did you do it in the end?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.