Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Log burners… again
  • Harry_the_Spider

I fitted mine ages ago when nobody gave a chooch (new word i’ve invented to avoid setting off the swear alarm).

My brother in law is getting one. Can he fit it himself or does it have to be done by a registered installer?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

IIRC, if he does it himself he SHOULD get it signed off by building inspector. If done by a HETAS man their certificate is good enough. I have been told that some insurers will want to see some form of (valid!) certification, but mine doesn’t/didn’t….

Wharfedale
    Free Member

depending on how easy the install might be? it could be just as cost effective to have a HETAS install? I seem to remember seeing a figure of £300 for a building regs check. We were quoted between £350-£450 for a basic install.

Ours ended up costing £1k due to us wanting the flue to run out the top, as below

BobaFatt
    Free Member

now the question I have is can you have a wood burner without a chimney – ie can the flu go up the wall and out the wall at an angle?

organic355
    Free Member

now the question I have is can you have a wood burner without a chimney – ie can the flu go up the wall and out the wall at an angle?

Yes but only 2 No. 45 degree angles allowed, and it will actually be the stainless steel double skin bit if the flue that needs to penetrate the wall, as per the very top of the picture above. To conceal the ugly transition (IMO) We constructed a “fake” chimney breast, as our lounge was just a square box, so all the flue bends and wall penetration are hidden being a fake plasterboard chimney. You wouldn’t know any different unless you went upstairs and saw the chimney didn’t continue up through the house.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

The biggest problem going through a wall etc is that can’t have a horizontal run of more than 6″ in the whole system. Going through the wall diagonally elminates the problem but means a much bigger hole to start with.

We also don’t have a chimney (as above) so had the flue run straight up through the loft floor and will box it in once the loft is converted into a bedroom. It’s also a good way af getting some additional heat in to the room above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Log burners… again’ is closed to new replies.