Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Locked up Nexus hub gear
  • majk

Anybody had experience with Nexus 8-speed hub gears breaking?

My commuter bike failed me this morning – half way up a hill, the drivetrain locked up; it was completely impossible to transfer power from the pedals. I thought the wheel had locked up at first, but then realised that it was only the sprocket that would not turn (I didn't push too hard since I didn't want to do any more internal damage).

Freewheel fortunately worked fine, so I was able to limp the 5km or so back home via a combination of scooting along plus a sneaky bus ride (the bike's a folder).

I've got a horrible "this is going to be expensive" feeling – anybody run into the same problem, and if so what was the cause and how did you fix it?

Cheers,
    Mike

epicyclo

Hub gear problems usually turn out to be adjustment, but if you have been riding it out of adjustment for a while, you could have broken something.

Check your adjustment marks line up properly and if that doesn't fix it, then you're going to have to take it to a proper bike shop.

StirlingCrispin

They are reasonably easy to service – if you're a capable mechanic.

That said – Are you sure the bottom bracket hasn't seized on you?

(I've got an old Nexus 4-speed hub sitting doing nothing. If your hub has died drop me an email and I'll do you a deal on my 4-speed hub (£20 plus postage). You could then get it built into a new wheel)

majk

Yes – the BB definitely hasn't seized, since I can back-pedal quite happily (the freewheel is still working, and the sprocket will rotate backwards – it's the forward direction that is locked solid).

I checked the adjustment of the gears just last weekend – the adjustment marks were close to alignment, I gave them a small nip to get them bang on. I hadn't had shifting problems before, and up to the total failure the bike was shifting beautifully (I'd taken it a few times through all gears on the street outside my house after doing the adjusment).

I'm going to leave this one for a bike shop – was just wondering if anybody had seen a similar case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Locked up Nexus hub gear’ is closed to new replies.