• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

I went out for a road ride yesterday (alone) around Biggin Hill/Downe/Knockholt.
    I saw loads of other cyclists out including big groups of both Roadies and Mountain bikers all of whom were breaking the 2m rule. I also saw loads of big family groups out walking doing the same, some of the woodland car parks were overflowing out onto the roads.

Interestingly i also saw a convoy of Supercars (Porsche 918, Lexus LFA, Porsche GT2, etc) who were obviously out on a social event.

The message isn’t getting through.

chakaping
    Free Member

The UK response is worrying…

You are just seeing the media and social media representation of it.

nicko74

chakaping
    Subscriber

The UK response is worrying…

You are just seeing the media and social media representation of it.

Oh right. So the photos of Richmond Park, Bridlington and various other places packed to the gunwales, and confirmed reports of Snowdon having its busiest day since records began are… fake, I guess? And Boris Johnson’s inability to wrap his head around the potential need for police to enforce stricter isolation rules is… misrepresentation?

scotroutes

So the photos of Richmond Park, Bridlington and various other places packed to the gunwales, and confirmed reports of Snowdon having its busiest day since records began are… fake, I guess?

Not fake, but not representative of the majority of the UK.

weeksy

Oh right. So the photos of Richmond Park, Bridlington and various other places packed to the gunwales, and confirmed reports of Snowdon having its busiest day since records began are… fake, I guess? And Boris Johnson’s inability to wrap his head around the potential need for police to enforce stricter isolation rules is… misrepresentation?

No, but it’s not ‘everyone’ as some forms of media would make you think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well when someone says ‘everyone’ they usually don’t mean every single person. But fact is, it was far busier than it should have been in these places, and it was very widespread.

chakaping
    Free Member

it was very widespread.

Was it? Really?

What does “very widespread” mean in relation to the typical amount of human interaction in more normal times? What percentage?

I don’t know, you don’t know, some people could perhaps take an educated guess and I bet it would be staggeringly smaller than usual.

I’m a bit disturbed by how quickly people are trying to point the finger.

DezB
    Free Member

I saw more people walking on a short section of the South Downs Way yesterday morning than I’ve ever seen in decades. Mostly families though, so I guess if they live together.. and they stay away from other walkers (and cyclists)… Plus 2 quad bikers, never seen that before. 3 ebikers passed us earlier on (without saying hello) and went into the pub!

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m a bit disturbed by how quickly people are trying to point the finger.

This is the bit that gets me. Loads of shaming going on on social media. Lots of collective tutting. I suspect over all social interaction was way down with pubs, theatres, restaurants, etc shut. The clip of a park that seems to have been on the news every bulletin looked busy but it was a long lens shot and people seemed mostly 2m apart. Not a perfect situation but not nearly as doom and gloom as reported.

oldnpastit

Wimpole Hall was shut yesterday. No one there apart from some people in hiviz. Roads around there were pretty quiet for a Sunday afternoon.

stevedoc
    Free Member

QUOTE”and Boris Johnson’s inability to wrap his head around the potential need for police to enforce stricter isolation”

Would that be possible with the amount of Police the UK has at the moment due to Tory cuts ?

nicko74

What does “very widespread” mean in relation to the typical amount of human interaction in more normal times? What percentage?

Ah, I see now why this has run to 12 pages.
    I had some analogy of how infectious disease is like Alien – either everyone plays by the rules and lives; or one person lets it into the ship and it runs rampant and kills everyone (bar Ripley and the cat). But it seems like it might not make much difference

nickc

Just back from my “commute”. took it easy, waved at a couple of folk from a safe distance. I don’t think you can blame folk for getting out yesterday, they weren’t to know the rest of the world had the same idea as them, and I think most folk are 1. following instructions to go out and get some exercise, and 2. realising that it may be the last chance they get for a while.

Folk need to chill a bit.

scotroutes

I don’t think you can blame folk for getting out yesterday, they weren’t to know the rest of the world had the same idea as them, and I think most folk are 1. following instructions to go out and get some exercise, and 2. realising that it may be the last chance they get for a while.

The potential positive of this is that it shows how many folk are thinking there will be a lock-down and that they will be prepared to abide by it when it comes and were therefore just making the best of an opportunity.

Sui
    Free Member

My personal view was that this weekend was just an unforntunate occurance, of towns being out of bounds and normal lifestyle being interuppted, coupled with the FIRST weekend for god knows how long of sun actually coming out! I think this just gave everyone who would not normally have a reason to go out, to do just that.

With the FC, NT and other park and landowners shutting carparks and cafes it will drop right off, however there will be an inevitable shift of parking on side streets/curbs. Some of us are very lucky to live where we ride, but even then we need to be sensible, even my normal riding buddies are limiting group sizes just so thee’s no bunching up. me, im off out on my own, will “bump” into a mate or two, perhaps ride down 2 or 3 trails together but thats it – no beer stops, no sitting/standing around chatting anymore.

joebristol

Common sense says though if you get somewhere and it’s already rammed with other cars – don’t go in whilst trying to keep your distance from others.

Any observation in one small part of suburban Bristol is that people aren’t taking it seriously. So far I’ve only gone out for short local walks with the dog / toddler to get some air and go nowhere near anyone outside of our little family of 3 (plus dog), and to get food. People aren’t queuing apart from each other in the shops and teenagers are all still hanging around with each in one quite large groups. That’s without all the social media stuff.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

coupled with the FIRST weekend for god knows how long of sun actually coming out!

I get the feeling we’re going to have a glorious summer of perfect weather for being out in the real world, the best since we were kids and summers lasted forever.

And we’ll all be watching it from our windows.

supernova

^ This.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just back from my “commute”. took it easy, waved at a couple of folk from a safe distance. I don’t think you can blame folk for getting out yesterday, they weren’t to know the rest of the world had the same idea as them, and I think most folk are 1. following instructions to go out and get some exercise, and 2. realising that it may be the last chance they get for a while.

Folk need to chill a bit.

Quite clearly you and they can not understand simple guidance then. Quite clearly the guidance stated days ago that all non essential travel was to stop. Travelling to the countryside/ sea side is not essential.

Why is that so difficult to compute ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

People aren’t queuing apart from each other in the shops

Conversely I was just in Lidl at lunchtime getting fresh stuff and everyone was stood a very generous 2m appart in the ques, only one person with their shopping on the belt at a time, all very civilized. And not a single sign saying to do it.

I think a few long lens photos of some busy places and a bit of public shaming might be a blessing in disguise, even the traffic seemed to have dropped another notch.

Car drivers still can’t work out what 2m is though.

Quite clearly you and they can not understand simple guidance then. Quite clearly the guidance stated days ago that all non essential travel was to stop. Travelling to the countryside/ sea side is not essential.

Going for a ride locally isn’t travel, you’re not going anywhere and spreading the virus to new people/places. And it’s within the guidance as long as it’s only with your household, 2m from anyone else etc.

If you’re going to lay into people over their inability to understand something, at least be correct yourself.

droodling
    Free Member

I live on a National Trust estate, Saturday was nuts. Crazy busy, sunny bank holiday busy with crowds ignoring distancing and car parks overflowing. Fortunately, Sunday was a lot quieter largely in part to the NT shutting car parks and facilities.

It really doesn’t seem like people are grasping the situation, I wonder if we’ll look back at this weekend and realise all the people getting out in the sun were what finally tipped us over the edge. If only it had stayed pissing down and blowing a gale (never thought I’d say that!)

MoreCashThanDash

And we’ll all be watching it from our windows.

Was hoping to sit in the garden…

Media distortion is a big part of this. Undoubtedly some people were dickheads at the weekend. Maybe some pubs were packed Friday night. All the local ones in villages round here closed straight away, or only offered food delivery.

Loads of cyclists on the A6 at the weekend, but none in big groups that I saw.

What happens in hotspots and cities that the press concentrate on is not representative of attitudes and behaviour of the majority of people. Many are being even more cautious than the guidance suggests, and most are expecting imminent stricter rules – though I’m loathe to call it lockdown as way to many people seem to think that involves complete house arrest which it hasn’t done in most European countries so far

Understandable anxiety is causing some people to over react on social media, though I’ve seen a few posts today trying to defuse emotions. We’re all getting more worried and prone to lashing out

stanfree
    Free Member

We went to the Golfie yesterday after being told Adrenaline had quite rightly cancelled the uplift. There were 7 of us 3 adults and 4 teenagers. the Golfie was fine and we bumped into a few groups here and there. We decided to go to GT just to session the new trail in case it does actually get torn down.
    When we parked we were pretty shocked to see the top car park full and big groups of young kids effectively having picnics with their parents. This really didnt feel right and Im presuming with the cancelation of Vallelujah and the warm weather everyone and their dog was in the Peebles area. I think that will be the last trip to bike anywhere for a while and just do little solo rides in the local woods which are pretty out of the way until told not to.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

When we parked we were pretty shocked to see the top car park full and

I think this is what we call double standards.

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re going to lay into people over their inability to understand something, at least be correct yourself

Gets in the way of the tutting though.

Other weird thing I saw – these people walking on the SDW, some had actually parked their cars on the SDW! Now that, caused a proper tut from me I can tell ya.

kelvin

There were 7 of us 3 adults and 4 teenagers

Rio

Some sensible advice from the BMC that is also relevant to MTB – https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-and-hill-walking-its-time-to-put-it-on-hold

Let’s hope it’s not too late.

I’ve just been for a run in the countryside (from home, I hasten to add). Total people seen 1 other runner and 1 person on a bike; we passed on opposite sides of the road.

cookeaa

We deliberately sought out less popular, local places to take our kids for a walk this weekend, and managed to avoid most other humans, we saw a couple of dog walkers who we politely maintained a ~2m separation from, otherwise we managed to meet the social isolation requirement. Had we arrived at a stuffed carpark, we’d have turned round and left immediately…

I’m also OK going for gentle road rides (from my door) on quieter roads only, the odds of coming into closer contact with other cyclists/walkers is minimal for this sort of activity…

I feel like I/we’re complying with the request to socially isolate with the above activities, but am I wrong?

Bunnyhop

Johnny foreigner has indeed only seen the bad side of Brits. My auntie who lives in Switzerland was saying how dreadful we all are. After telling her that the media will be doing their best to taint us all with the same brush and that millions of us didn’t flock to the seaside, parks and outdoor spaces. The the majority did cycle, walk, skip, and jump on their own.
    It was bad timing: Mothering Sunday, great weather and possibly the last chance to get out turned this weekend into a mass breakout for thousands. But then some of those same people are probably the one’s who panic buy, don’t wash their hands and think ‘I’m not going to catch CV, its rubbish’.
    Hubby and I went out on the tandem (yes we live together) for a ride in the countryside and saw very few people. We did not see hoards clambering all over the hills. So once again the few have probably wrecked it for the many.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just back from a couple of hours getting dizzy in Richmond Park.

Nearly everyone I saw was respecting the 2m instructions – the couple of groups I did see who weren’t were mostly younger men (say 25-35ish) in groups of 3-4..

But to those of you who are ignoring the advice……

Stop being so fing selfish. You might not get it or you might. You might get it mildly or you might not. But you’ll almost certainly pass it on to someone else then to someone else then to someone else then to someone else then to someone else. Etc fing etc..

Don’t make the next few months it any harder than it’s already going to be by being selfish 🛎 ends. If such behaviour continues then we’ll be in complete lockdown & you’ll be doing laps of your living room – if your other half let’s you that is..

Who knows, aside from the obvious benefits of reducing spread, it might teach some of you selfish ****tz some new appreciation of what you’ve got!

Personally, I’ll be very surprised if we aren’t totally locked down by the end of the week….& those of with little or no self-control or respect & concern for your fellow man will have to bare some of the blame! I’m ready for a lockdown as I’ve a gym & a great garden. Ask yourselves if your so lucky & how you’ll fare if stuck in your home for the next 3 months?

There’s some great work being done by those who are putting their lives on the line FOR YOU – follow their example, be selfless, don’t be a c0k & make things harder. Obey the rules. The trails, parks, open spaces & roads aren’t going anywhere.

Remember we lost Swinley at the W/E because some pillock couldn’t tow the line. I also hear that Coed Y Brenin & Cwmcarn are shutting too..

Don’t be that guy – 1st rule of life: DON’T BE A DICK.
    (I’m giving myself 6/10 on the rant-o-meter… which is probably generous I know…)

anagallis_arvensis

There were 7 of us 3 adults and 4 teenagers.

My what a big household you have, either that or you a a complete and utter small village in Worcestershire near Belbroughton.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Remember we lost Swinley at the W/E because some pillock couldn’t tow the line.

What happened? I heard the car park was closed but was planning a ride over from Reading later tonight?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just the trails shut originally – fireroads were still open. Then an incident later in the day requiring an ambulance & paramedic to be called out. The CE then decided to ban all cycling in the forest till things calm down a bit.

Check the bike hubs FB page for more detail.

reluctantjumper

My new turbo trainer has arrived so I can at least get some miles in regardless of what happens. If I do venture out it will definitely be just local stuff and as far away from the crowds as possible. I could do the local woods but they’re completely the other side of the city, don’t want to ride across it on my MTB really so I usually drive to an industrial estate and ride from there. Don’t want to be one of the people who cause a complete shutdown of those woods so I’ll stay away for the time being.

Really wanted to keep the momentum form my winter rides going but it’s obvious others are spoiling it by being dicks so I’ll just concentrate on base fitness in the hope we get to go play sometime this summer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Effsticks.

That means I can’t get down to Deepcut either.

nicknameless
    Free Member

Let’s hope this this thing doesn’t mutate. Spanish Flu anyone? You would think that 100 years later we’d have been much better prepared, collectively and individually.

Staggered by some of the responses in this thread. Presumably those going on group rides haven’t seen the news in the last few weeks?

slowoldman

My what a big household you have

Sounds like a perfectly normal Mormon family to me.

pennine
    Free Member

The difference a day makes! Yorkshire Dales was rammed over the weekend but today I saw 1 mtber, 1 walker & 1 dales warden. Pic shows a deserted Mastiles Lane.

ta11pau1

Went out for a solo run after work today and it was definitely quieter than normal, running along a wide towpath most people were being sensible and walking on one side to let me pass on the other.

Saw maybe 15 people in 4.5km, not including a bunch of teenagers (5 or 6) cuddling up on a bench together, plus the odd adult with child, with the child seemingly oblivious to keeping a few feet away from a sweaty, heavily breathing runner… 🙄

A definite reduction though, on the cool down walk it was almost eerily quiet, just bird song and some motorway noise.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well there you go, Borris just came on TV and said it’s OK to go cycling.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM