• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • SaxonRider

Well there you go, Borris just came on TV and said it’s OK to go cycling.

I thought it was interesting that he explicitly mentioned cycling as a permissible activity.

hardtailonly

Well there you go, Borris just came on TV and said it’s OK to go cycling.

Yep. But only once a day. Alone, or with your immediate household.

ta11pau1

Lockdown, but crucially exercise is OK.

one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle, alone or with members of their household

theotherjonv

Only once a day though.

If I load my pockets up, I reckon I could do 6 hours?

w00dster

Solo rides. Not as restrictive as I was expecting.

rOcKeTdOg

I ride a day, 7 x 100 mile rides? 🤔

Is this in addition to the two rides a day I do going and coming back from work?

RustyNissanPrairie

I dont think he meant get your full face on and shred the gnarr on your enduropoon, i think its meant as go and have a mellow trundle on your own and dont spanner yourself and tie up NHS resources.

el_boufador

I dont think he meant get your full face on and shred the gnarr on your enduropoon, i think its meant as go and have a mellow trundle on your own and dont spanner yourself and tie up NHS resources.

That’s sensible, and I’ll be complying with it.
    But I think they’re (understandably) far more bothered about big groups of runners and riders getting together, hence why it was continually stressed: solo activity, or with household.

Seems fair enough!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ride a day, 7 x 100 mile rides? 🤔

Seems legit.

Slightly restricts me as I currently ride into work, and home again and had planned to “commute” whilst working from home from Wednesday (work has been dragging their feet over this for weeks, there’s no reasnoble reason to make us come into the office other than a lack of investment in hardware and reluctance on their part to trust people).

Simon

I’ll be riding to and from work tomorrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

Silver lining for cyclists – the road cycling will be brilliant without all the cars.

ajantom

Maybe Boris is a lurker on here, this thread probably swayed him.

Jordan

On the bright side, if I do one ride per day it will be one more than I do on most days 🙂

chrisdb
    Free Member

Strava should do a lockdown challenge.

I went out this evening thinking it would be the last ride for a while. Looking forward to some nice quiet roads now.

ta11pau1

Silver lining – we may actually see a 3 week increase in activity and fitness as people make use of their one government-sanctioned walk/cycle/run per day 😀

I bet there’s been a model done on no exercise for anyone for 3 weeks, with the inevitable comfort eating and netflix binging and strain on the NHS in 5/10 years time…

cynic-al
    Free Member

But trailwagger and the others who know better might be out policing the roads when we are doing our legal solo rides?

colournoise

Dunno, suspect the next announcement, after the usual 2 or 3 day delay for the last one to sink in, will be no exercise.

imnotverygood

It will be just that ^ judging by some of the attitudes on display here

tuboflard

Pretty sure cycling is banned in France now after a minority taking the piss (may have been mentioned elsewhere on here just not read the full thread).

stevedoc
    Free Member

If people dont take the piss,this might work. But in hindsight were f$£ked as most of the populous will push, shops at 8am tomorrow will be rammed,families will still go to the park in groups, and you will still see people taking the pi**. Friday a full grounding.

dazh

I know everyone’s getting very excited about multi-hour rides on empty roads and trails, but I’m pretty sure that’s not what they’re talking about. The advice is clear, stay in and only go out infrequently, when you have to. Good luck explaining to the plod why you absolutely had to go on a 5 hour bike ride 40 miles from home. It’s pretty obvious that If everyone piles out on to the roads and trails (especially at the weekend) you’re not going to be on your own.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here we go…

FFS

reluctantjumper

I’ll be only cycling to and from work like I normally do. Any other cycling will be on the turbo I thankfully picked up this afternoon! Only if I start to go properly mad stuck indoors will I go for a ride along the coast path near home, can easily do 20 miles with plenty of room to avoid people along that. Will be hard but for the sake of people like my parents I will fully comply, no way could I live knowing my actions could have helped contribute to someone dying.

As is all over my Facebook news feed, Shit Just Got Real.

MoreCashThanDash

If I still need to go to work, I’ll cycle in. If I don’t go to work, I’ll find myself a couple of 10 mile local loops on quiet roads or easy trails.

Jamze

Walking the dog will be my daily exercise, so no biking for me for the foreseeable. TBH I probably wouldn’t bugger off on my bike for an hour on my own anyway, would rather walk with the family.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Check your privacy settings on Strava, and change your rides so only you can see them.
    Just saying

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Check your privacy settings on Strava, and change your rides so only you can see them.
    Just saying

Or alternatively, don’t be a cock.

I’m not even cycling to work, for the first time in history, I think driving is the right thing to do.

BadlyWiredDog

Just saying

You know that you’ve still ridden your bike right. The whole ‘if it’s not on Strava, it didn’t happen thing’ isn’t literally true. Just saying 😉

el_boufador

I’m not even cycling to work, for the first time in history, I think driving is the right thing to do.

Why do you think it’s the right thing to do? Nobody’s said that it is off limits.

Edit: Being at work with other people is much more damaging surely??

scotroutes

While it might be fun to play the hypothetical exception game on here, let’s just be reasonable and responsible eh?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Walking the dog will be my daily exercise, so no biking for me for the foreseeable.

My allowance will also be taken up with the dog, doesn’t provide any exercise for me however so I’m not looking forward to the foreseable..like a few other folks on here cycling is how I keep my mental health in check. If i spend the next couple of months without cycling outdoors I will be in a very dark place very quickly..

On the other hand, at least I hopefully won’t be lyimg in a hospital coridoor awaiting a ventilator…so thats a plus side i suppose

Bez

were f$£ked as … families will still go to the park in groups

According to BBC news, that’s explicitly allowed, no?

“From tonight, people will be allowed to leave their homes for …
    one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle, alone or with members of their household”

vincienup
    Free Member

Yep. As with many things, the current situation has plenty of chance to get worse, and it’s worth bearing in mind that if there ever are any ‘unfortunate consequences’ of a given ride, the rider is almost certainly not going to know about it.

When/if we get universal testing then it’ll be different because we’ll *know* if there’s a chance of hurting others or not, but right now basically no one knows for sure if they’re carrying or not.

ta11pau1

I started the couch to 5k running plan in December, completed it 2 weeks ago and have continued doing 3 solo runs from my house a week, so that won’t be changing thank god. I’m currently the fittest I’ve ever been so really don’t want to lose that. I try and avoid people on my runs regardless of social distancing anyway!

Riding will be gravel bike/mtb pootles along local bridleways/towpaths, again from my house.

So 3x runs between 5k and 10k, plus maybe one cycle ride a week.

slowoldman

Yep. But only once a day. Alone, or with your immediate household.

That’ll work nicely for me and Mrs. Slow. But yes, let’s not take the piss or we may lose our trips out altogether.

sirromj

I guess pump tracks and bmx tracks are out of bounds as they encourage congregation.

I won’t miss my daily cycle commutes because a) I’m just grateful I can work from home and reduce my social contact (which isn’t much anyway), and b) I’ll have more energy to go out on my trials bike more often (I’m shit so not doing anything risky).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

While it might be fun to play the hypothetical exception game on here, let’s just be reasonable and responsible eh?

&

From tonight, people will be allowed to leave their homes for …
    one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle, alone or with members of their household

It’s not rocket science.

el_boufador

From the other thread

There is also a clarification to ‘minimise the amount of time spent outside’. Clearly that’s subjective, but would seem to rule out excessively long rides.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Clearly that’s subjective, but would seem to rule out excessively long rides.

Does that mean I can’t sit out in my garden for excessively long periods too?

I see nothing on that link that says how long one is or isn’t allowed to be outside for.

Am I not allowed to do laps of my estate for 3 hours where at no time I am more than 1 mile from home.

Reasonable & responsible – but remember what’s reasonable & responsible for you might not be applicable for another.

A one size fits all solution has not been prescribed for all – yet.

el_boufador

Dunno, but if you are miles and miles away from home when you get stopped it’s probably enforceable that you’re outside the rules. Less so in the garden!

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.