• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • DezB
    Free Member

QECP are offering free parking to encourage people into the park too, I can understand the sentiment but-really?

I don’t see why not.. just ride safely and sensibly.
    However, just seen on the news –
    National Trust have closed all parks and gardens, so QE will be closed now.

DezB
    Free Member

(double post)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Would that National Trust shutdown include the gated field(s) with various paths around the Butser Hill trig point?

tjmoore

NT shutdown is their parks and gardens but open spaces, coastal areas etc are open. Plus parking charges suspended.

velocipede
    Free Member

Delamere Forest yestreday (on my doorstep) – WTF! – I have never seen so many people, in al my 54 years – absolutely mad with car parks overflowing, large groups of walkers (and cyclists) – crazy

slowoldman

With scenes like this Coronavirus: ‘Unprecedented scenes’ on Welsh hills maybe it’s time for a rethink. If you’ve got somewhere you know will be pretty empty then fair enough, but avoid the usual honey pots.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’m quite lucky and I’ve got the Quantocks and 2 or 3 other decent riding spots that I can ride to from my front door so no car use needed, there’s also a fairly disused but rideable pump track a mile away too.

I can get to all of these by backroads and bridleways where even before all this you’d be lucky to see another person. Hopefully the idiots won’t ruin things for the people being sensible.

My view is that sensible exercise must be better than the long term effects on the NHS of a load of people sat inactive for months?

slowoldman

My view is that sensible exercise must be better than the long term effects on the NHS of a load of people sat inactive for months?

I agree but “sensible” and “people” don’t necessarily seem to be in alignment at the moment.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Those 2 things seem to be getting more and more out of alignment too, it’s like somebody introduced a new strain of stupidity a few years ago which is gradually spreading through the population 😡

scrabble

It is like a bank holiday weekend in Northumberland this weekend. Have to say that people are starting to get annoyed with the numbers of people emptying the local co op/butchers of everything on the shelves. Went for a ride with the wife and dog (reduces the need to take our energetic collie on two separate walks) yesterday and this morning and decided to go to our local trails rather than a local increasingly busy forest but still loads of large groups of walkers and riders out there.

Not long until a full lockdown is coming I think.

scotroutes

It’s becoming obvious that too many people can’t be sensible. That means that everyone will suffer the consequences, whether that means contracting the virus or simply being restricted from activity.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let’s cut the general public a little bit of slack here.

OK, I’m sure nobody here was daft enough to head up Snowdon yesterday, but there are millions of people who suddenly can’t go and do their usual indoors weekend leisure activities, at the same time as the weather’s suddenly not all stormy.

They probably didn’t realise everyone else was gonna be heading to the same place as them.

So hopefully any change in guidance/policy around outdoor activity will be carefully considered – rather than a knee-jerk reaction to a few widely circulated photos on Facebook.

I’m trying to refrain from judging others in the present situation, but people might want to reconsider the wisdom of planning group rides with six people. Hashtagging #socialdistancing doesn’t make anyone immune.

Houns

I work on an estate with two well used bridlepaths going through it, in the brief time I was out and about at work today I saw two groups of bikers riding through riding close in a bunch, I also saw two groups of families walking together.

Get the hint and isolate!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ran a mile in my garden this morning! Was actually good fun, the money I’ve saved on Easter hols also more than covers the treadmill and turbo that are on their way.

I went out for a run yesterday, too many folk about, I’m not gonna be one of them.

On my time I’ll leave confines of the house now is 1 day a week at the office, and for food.

lunge

OK, I’m sure nobody here was daft enough to head up Snowdon yesterday, but there are millions of people who suddenly can’t go and do their usual indoors weekend leisure activities, at the same time as the weather’s suddenly not all stormy.

There’s some truth in this.
    It felt like the first good day of the year yesterday, guidance is that going outside is fine in small, family groups. NT said the grounds were open and so people went out.
    We did just this, we thought places would be quiet and were wrong so changed plans, but if you’ve just got somewhere with a family it’s not that simple.

I think things will quieten down this week, people who WFH will do just that and the message of stay at home will kick in.

singlespeedstu

I work on an estate with two well used bridlepaths going through it,

Saw your little truck when we* went through but couldn’t see you.
    We also saw a few large group of walkers and riders who didn’t seem to get it.
    We gave everyone a very wide birth…

Think we might stick to night rides from now on.
    *Mrsstu and me.

Houns

I was skiving, erm I mean self isolating (picking up litter) in the woods

twistedpencil

I was concerned about riding around the Roman Lakes this morning but whilst there were more folks out and about it wasn’t as chaotic as I was expecting. I’d already decided not to straaaaava! any of the downs so it was a relaxed ride. The weather being as it is will have dragged a lot of people out.

Today’s ride felt like a reward for riding in the rain all winter, I just hope that today wasn’t the last ride for spring / summer.

kcr
    Free Member

The weather has definitely encouraged people to go out, which is understandable, but it’s hard to understand why so many people just seem to be ignoring the social distancing advice.
    I had a nice sunny solo ride today, but saw a number of small groups of cyclists riding together. I came back over the Forth Bridge, which was as busy as usual with groups of pedestrians, who didn’t particularly appear to be trying to keep their distance from each other.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I just hope that today wasn’t the last ride for spring / summer.

I’m hoping it is, really hoping this government will grow a pair and do the right thing asap.

It’s a sacrifice I’m happy to make. 😔

sirromj

Hoping for the shit weather to return ASAP!

MoreCashThanDash

Went on a sunny solo road ride today – ended up briefly helping a rider hit by a car. Watched the ambulance heading up to him and wondered if I should be out.

Then I saw several people up ladders with electric hedge trimmers.

I suspect isolation at home will put more strain on the NHS than us riders.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I posted at the start I would still go out riding, and Yesterday went over Rosset gill+ Esk Hause its been a ride ive wanted to do for ages, Langdale looked very quiet when i set off at 8:30am and all looked good until I arrived of the stretcher box.. It was like Blackpool sea front up there and in Borrowdale. I couldnt help pass comment on social distancing but no one seemed to give a flying one. Same again today,just returned from a quiet walk with my wife and kids away from the local Saddleworth areas that again today have seen more footfall than a sunny bank holiday by the images on social media. I know its hypercritical of me to say im going out on my own for a quick ride away from everyone in the local hills and then slate people all flocking to the normal walking areas, but the levels of f$$£s given by these mindless prats is astonishing. Maybe people are thinking one last day of normality before they take things serious or just the great British public’s complete lack of thought caring or interest for what might be…

13thfloormonk

Great walk today, a wee ‘heritage’ riverside path in an otherwise non-descript area of central belt.

We kept pretty good distance from one another (as evidenced by my sore throat from raising my voice constantly), I managed to collect two large vags of rubbish, and we saw some grey wagtails which is always a treat.

Otherwise though surprised by the general bank holiday atmosphere in my village, lots of strolling groups although I guess they could be families…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Had a nice ride up at the old local, which I tend not to bother with any more. It’s fallen into disrepair a bit, most of the trails need some TLC for sure, due to a serious lack of use.

So with what will be quite a few weeks free now and no racing coming, will spend our time digging them back in & tidying.

They arnt exactly tough & tech, but they are better than nothing 🙂

mick_r

Local quiet places are fine – we all need some fresh air. But beyond that can people really not see how a chunk of this kicked off in Italy???

Well travelled and affluent city folk still popping to the holiday home and going out skiing to import / mix / export the virus far and wide. So now some do EXACTLY the same thing here.

We’ve got friends in Cremona. Mtbers just like us who we used to join for the 24hr race in the city. At least one of them is now endangering her life on the front line at the hospital (was on TV yesterday and looked grim). I’ve not asked for details – friend’s basic comment was “Cremona is in deep sh**”

imnotverygood

It’s almost like Someone Up There is trying help the virus spread.. What we needed this weekend was a continuation of the wind & rain. What we got was the best day of the year so far. Not good.

shinton
    Free Member

This guy has put together a good graphical summary of how the major European countries are tracking against Italy in a few slides, and the UK is uncannily close to Italy when you baseline against day 1. Deaths in Spain are now growing at a faster rate than Italy when aligned on the day of 1st case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Important words from Deputy Chief Medical Officer. Riding bikes in small groups, with 2m spacing is absolutely fine and to be encouraged.

Posted by Hart's Cyclery on Friday, March 20, 2020

A video of Scotland Chief Medical Officer saying bike rides in small groups is fine.

robcolliver
    Free Member

4.5 hours on the turbo trainer today – watched all of Ragnarok so its not all bad. You know, this may be boring and dull, but I plan to come out of this half a stone lighter and as fit as ****. The alternative is to sit on the sofa and come out of this an alcoholic.
    We are about to lose the right to ride outside (cos many people can’t work out that going outside and playing on bikes is daft at the moment using their own brains), so drag out the winter trainer and get used to it!
    No sneaky, trying to beat the system, riding in the dark or going out when its quiet – we only have a few days to develop new habits that will save the country.

w00dster

Did a 50 mile road ride today, nowhere near as many groups out, but definitely felt like there was more cars in the countryside after 10am. Think I only saw two groups of about 8 riders, would normally see quite a lot more than that. I’m only riding solo from now, hoping we can keep riding even if it’s solo rides. We have a large park area near us where we walk the dog, quite a few people out and about but generally most people keeping their distance.

matt_outandabout

We are aiming for odd times – 7.30am walks last week, a couple of sunset rides.
    We are also sticking local and not the ‘known’ paths or routes.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Royal Parks in outer London closed to traffic but still open for cycling – but given how fing selfish some are (not just now, but in general) I give that till mid wk before they are closed to all.

When this is all said & done I’m moving out of this stupid town….too many idiots here now, not enough space & sooooo bloody expensive!

chakaping
    Free Member

You better do it quick or you’ll get locked in.

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m surprised how worried many of you seem to be about the virus. Unless you’re geriatric or a fat smoker it’s not a major concern – you should be much more worried about disruption of trade, countries shutting their borders and the coming Depression. How/when/if you ride your bike has no bearing on what’s steam-rollering towards us.

supernova

Idiot

Daffy

montgomery
    I’m surprised how worried many of you seem to be about the virus. Unless you’re geriatric or a fat smoker it’s not a major concern – you should be much more worried about disruption of trade, countries shutting their borders and the coming Depression. How/when/if you ride your bike has no bearing on what’s steam-rollering towards us.

We are all worried about trade, just as we’re worried that with a mortality rate of 5%, we could also be looking at 3m uk deaths. If we can get people to obey the rules, the death rate will be lower, the lockdown shorter and the economic impact reduced. it’s all connected you flippin Muppet!

molgrips
    Free Member

Went out today. Carpark and roadside parking at the start of the trails (I didnt drive) was rammed, by which I mean Bout 15 cars rather than the 6 it holds.

However this meant I saw about 6 family groups instead of the usual no-one at all and they were at least quarter of a mile apart, so we would seem to have capacity still.

We went out for a family outing in Saturday, heading for a local NT garden, but we saw how busy it was and kept driving. Can’t believe how many people just waited in the queue when they could see how rammed it was. We ended up on a beach well away from anyone else.

rOcKeTdOg

And that ladies and gents is what we’re up against 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m surprised how worried many of you seem to be about the virus. Unless you’re geriatric or a fat smoker it’s not a major concern

Well, my parents are old, as are many people’s. So whilst not being concerned about being ill myself, I am concerned about the spread of the virus generally. Do you not see how this works?

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.