Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Like The Wire, but not breaking bad?
  • warton
    Free Member

True Detective

House of cards – I’m well into this at the moment. curtains shut, glass of single malt, lights out, it’s becoming a bit of a tradition a few times a week…

BoardinBob

If not already mentioned, Brotherhood. Only ran for three seasons it was excellent and flew under the radar.

Other than that I’d echo the suggestions of True Detective & Generation Kill.

As much as I loved The Wire, I really struggled with Treme. Boardwalk Empire started off ok but tailed off for me and they introduced way too many characters along the way. Steve Buscemi was also unconvincing as Nucky. He’s played too many dweebs and losers in the past to be convincing as someone with that kind of power.

hels
    Free Member

If you can deak with subtitles the french cop show Engrenages (Spiral) is really good, I think there are 5 series now.

Best thing I have watched on TV on the past few years was Prisoners of War, the original Israeli series on which Homeland was based. Much better than the US version, a lot more personal about the families of the returned prisoners, and a great thriller. Series 3 being made now, 1 and 2 are on Lovefilm.

cobrakai

Working my way through dexter at the moment which I’m enjoying. Watched bosch which was very slick and cool. Might give the books a read. Still don’t think you can go wrong with game of thrones or band of brothers.

noltae
    Free Member

Turn off – Invite some friends over and talk ..

binners

bails

I loved the Wire and didn’t get on with Breaking Bad too.

+1 to that. Really disappointed with BB after hearing all the hype.

As already mentioned, Southland is good, not Wire good, but good. Avon Barksdale pops up in it too…

qtip

Another vote for Sons of Anarchy (especially if you like the Sopranos) and Generation Kill.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but The Corner is worth a watch – same writer as the Wire, but written before. Very dark true story of drug addicts in Baltimore, but definitely worth watching,

Completely different, but hilarious, is Archer – even if you don’t like cartoons, this is genius.

BoardinBob

Working my way through dexter at the moment which I’m enjoying

It gets ridiculously repetitive. I gave up after series 3.

Dexter kills someone
    Dexter almost gets caught
    Dexter befriends someone and it gets out of hand
    repeat ad infinitum

teenrat

The Following (series 1 on amazon prime)

Rogue ( series 1 and 2 on amazon prime)

both very good

derek_starship
    Free Member

I can’t believe only one other mention has been made.

BANSHEE IS AWESOME

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

No mention of Fargo (the TV series) yet? I was sceptical, but it was excellent.

another shout for:
    True Detective
    House of Cards
    The Killing (Danish & US)
    Boardwalk Empire

P-Jay
    Free Member

Deadwood is simply brilliant, should be talked of in the same terms as ‘The Wire’ but it’s no nearly as well know – it’s hard to follow though, they speak in a very era correct dialect which takes a bit to get used to – also, the worse part – after 3 series, it end on a bit of a cliffhanger – there was meant to be a forth series which got binned to make ‘Entourage’ which is also great but completely different in every way.

Sopranos? Looks so old now you could consider it a period drama – but it’s excellent.

mrl

justified is good,

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Northwind

That’s not just a nerdy suggestion, it’s an exceptionally nerdy way to suggest it. Well played

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

😀 I was just gently taking the Michael 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

they speak in a very era correct dialect

Sure about that?

I seem to recall the explanation for all the cussing etc, being that to use ‘correct’ swear words would be too tame/hokey by modern standards. Would have seemed too comical to a modern audience. Think ‘dagnabit’, etc

sadexpunk

another vote here for Banshee. excellent.

jonnym92

Hell on Wheels is pretty good. Western but not as difficult to follow as Deadwood. Vikings is similar, but obviously about Vikings.

True Detective was awesome, really looking forward to the second series.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I liked true blood a lot.

Until the last series anyway.

busydog
    Free Member

Hell on Wheels is pretty good

Beat me to it, but a good western. My only frustration has been the long hiatus between seasons. Mrs busydog (and every other female I know) is quite enamored with Anson Mount who plays the lead character, Cullen Bohannan.

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4LhXycJ7rI[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

Another vote here for True Detective. Nearly perfect in every way, except for the thing I shall not mention. Really enjoying Game of Thrones too, thoroughly entertaining if you can pay it enough attention to work out who everyone is. Doesn’t suffer the kind of filler episodes most other big american shoes do (I’m looking at you Walking Dead).

Vikings is pretty good. Better Call Saul is good, although probably not very appealing to anyone who didn’t enjoy Breaking Bad. I really couldn’t click with Generation Kill, and the Walking Dead drives me mad with filler/nothing episodes.

chakaping

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I liked true blood a lot.

Until the last series anyway.

I watched it begrudgingly with the wife initially. Then I started to like it. Took a good while to find it’s feet, and suffered from a few seasons which were dire. But on the whole pretty entertaining stuff.

oldboy
    Free Member

The Wire, simply brilliant, best thing since The Sopranos. I have Breaking Bad on Bluray, but haven’t watched it yet.

ruddy
    Free Member

Another vote for deadwood. Can’t believe it’s not as well know. Really good characters and story line – great from off.

Killing and spiral are also ace.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

The Wire? Great 1st series but gets sketchy after that. The brother mouzone is a ridiculous character.

True Detective. Dull, cliché characters and everyone talks real slow like Forest Gump. Overacted twaddle with a weak plot.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Wire? Great 1st series but gets sketchy after that. The brother mouzone is a ridiculous character.

True Detective. Dull, cliché characters and everyone talks real slow like Forest Gump. Overacted twaddle with a weak plot.
    Keen to hear what you do like.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Is your response translated from a foreign language? It seems to be a bit lacking in the comprehension department.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

+1 for Spiral. Loved it.

epicyclo

Lillehammer

Danger-5

tor5
    Free Member

Righto, chain watching True Detective – just queued up episode 3, so far, so good. Slightly nervous that it will end unresolved like lost did.

Thanks guys, this thread should keep me entertained for months!

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Yeah lost was amazing. The start of click bait TV.

TooTall
    Free Member

justified is good

Justified is fantastic. Some of the best characters developed in a tv series. It really should be far better known than it is and they are showing the final series in the US right now.
    Do yourself a favour. Watch Justified.

jakd95
    Free Member

Hannibal is also worth a watch. Different angle to the films, it’s really very good.

Xylene
    Free Member

Banshee th

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Like The Wire, but not breaking bad?’ is closed to new replies.