Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Lightweight spare tubes for tubeless?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

I run tubeless and am getting fed up of carrying a big heavy tube in my pack which I haven’t had to use for over a year (lucky?). As it is only for an emergency what is the lightest tube out there which will still work in a 2.35 tyre?

Cheers!

mboy
    Free Member

You really gonna notice shaving a massive 50g off the combined weight of your backpack? By the time I finish a ride, mine is usually 2kg lighter than when I started because of the fluids I’ve drunk and food I’ve eaten…

But if you must spend the best part of £10 on a tube to save a few granted… Both Schwalbe and Conti do lightweight versions in their range, including 29er tubes.

zippykona

Even the tiniest thorn left in your tube will puncture one of those lightweight tubes.

aracer
    Free Member

It will probably go through the heavyweight tube too. This is something I’ve thought about, because I do carry lightweight tubes as spares (normal lightweight tubes, not condoms with valves), but I’m not convinced a heavier tube would have any benefit.

chum3
    Free Member

Riding in the peaks the other week I needed to stick a tube in my tubeless front. When I unpacked it I realised it was one I’ve had for years and was ‘rated’ up to 2.1 tyres, and was a bit concerned as I was sticking it into a 2.4.

Finished the ride without issue, including Jacobs Ladder…

Using a narrow tube will be lighter, and is it any less of a risk than using a specific lightweight one?

Leon
    Free Member

I carry some sort of super lightweight maxxis tube. I like it because I often ride without a bag of any sort, so it takes up less space in my pocket. More important than the weight. Never had to use it, but sure it will be fine, plus in Bristol, I’m never that far from homw

otsdr
    Free Member

The new Schwalbe should be the ultimate spare:
    http://www.schwalbe.com/en/schwalbe-evotube.html

brassneck

I go the other way – my spare tube is a Slime tube, in case I miss any thorns sticking through the tubeless tyre. Thorns and flint cuts are my main reasons for punctures.

Kryton57

Wow, that’d save 120g compared to the one strapped to my seatpost, definately worth considering for racing. *Adds to list*

AlexSimon

When are they likely to be available – are we talking Procore-length lead times?

hairylegs
    Free Member

+1 for using a slime tube. Learnt from experience the hard way. The weight saving is pretty meaningless when you’re stuck out in the middle of the moors in driving rain and your spare tube has puntured straight away.

A tyre boot can come in very useful, especially as if you’re having to put a tube in a tubelss tyre you’ve more than likely got a rip or tear in it

zilog6128

That’s great! Will definitely get one. A lot of my riding is close to home so I don’t wear a pack, just a few essentials shoved into jersey pockets.

Kryton57

A tyre boot can come in very usefu

Yes – save some cash by cutting an empty toothpaste tube in the right way et voila, at least two tyres boots.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Schwalbe SV19A for a lightweight non Maxis flyweight butyl tube

ndthornton
    Free Member

I wonder if the evo-tube will take a patch?
    Since its made of different stuff

AlexSimon

Not a normal patch, but they have a patch for it, that can also be used on other tubes.

njee20
    Free Member

I like it because I often ride without a bag of any sort, so it takes up less space in my pocket.

Wrap a Co2 pump in a normal tube and attach to your seatpost with a Velcro strap – the Mt Zoom handy strap thing is great. Always equipped then.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Don’t forget to keep an eye on your sealant / topped up.
    I didn’t, and it pissed me off when I got a puncture.

mattyfez

I like the look of those light tubes!

A couple of websites have them listed but no stock that I can see, from pinkbike:

“As well as the fresh rubber, Schwalbe had these new super light tubes on show. Made from a material called Aerothan (licensed from BASF) with a clear thermoplastic valve stem. The main advantage of these tubes is that they weigh between 68-76 grams, dependant upon size. Compare this to butyl tubes that weigh 130-200 grams, but giving similar air retention and puncture resistance properties. They’re 100% recyclable and will cost €19,90 when they arrive in early 2016.”

Northwind

I carry a normal tube of the sort I’d use if I were using tubes. Reason being, if I fit it, I don’t want to have to mince home, I want to keep on riding like a fanny.

Milkie
    Free Member

I hope those evo tubes are better than the Eclipse inner tubes. The Eclipse tubes were a bit hit n miss, leaked air and had to be very careful when fitting. I found it was very easy to get holes near the valve, I see the Evo tubes have a bit of extra plastic around the valve to combat. They are under half the price of the Eclipse tubes, so I’ll give them a go, I have never got on with tubeless when running super low pressures 15-25psi.

I used the Eclipse tubes in the Alps and didn’t get a puncture and this year I used stupidly light tubes in the Alps and only got one puncture, which was due to running a really low pressure, I would’ve got a puncture no matter what tube. But then I could be really slow, rubbish rider. 😉

I always have a lightweight tube in my bag, having a 400g tube in your backpack makes a big different to a 120g tube, also takes up half the room.

honourablegeorge

Carrying a tube? Sounds bit half hearted to me. You’re either tubeless or you’re not. He who is not with us is against us.

Northwind

The eclipse tubes were just gash, one of mine was faulty from new (it had a twist in it- mobius tube), the other punctured without ever being ridden and split down a seam. Went back to Merlin for warranty replacements, they said “Har, no, these turned out to be **** so we stopped selling them- have a refund” To be fair, the faulty one lasted pretty well, maybe that was the secret.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Carrying a tube? Sounds bit half hearted to me. You’re either tubeless or you’re not. He who is not with us is against us.

I’ll probably really regret it at some point but I do this ^^^ on the mtb (at least if not carrying a pack, which is most of the time.)

On the road bike I ride on latex tubes but carry a normal thicker butyl spare. The number of skinny butyl and latex tubes I’ve managed to pinch when installing, it’s not worth the risk for a last chance roadside fix. Never carry a spare when racing.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Reassemble only with the same tire size. Repairable with Schwalbe Glueless Patches

So potentially use once and discard as a tubeless back up. Plus memories of some thin, useless Panaracer attempt at superlight tubes many years ago has made me wary.

ferrals
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

On the road bike I ride on latex tubes

Do you notice a difference from standard – wondering about switching to latex for ‘cross when i next need to buy tubes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ferrals, yes I did. Really nice ride to them. Never had a single you know what since I’ve been using them either, which has surprised me a bit.

mattyfez

I considered latex tubes very briefly.. But the air leakage and fragility put me off.. I’m very interested to see how these new schwalbe ones stack up.. If too fragile I’ll stick with regular tubes.. But if there is not too much of a trade off in functionality I’ll be all over them.

njee20
    Free Member

Air leakage is a bit of a non issue – I pump my tyres up every ride, doesn’t matter if it’s 1 stroke or 5, and they’re no more fragile. Wouldn’t bother on the MTB that said.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Only time I’ve found them to be fragile is when installing them. I’ve been riding them about a year on all my road bikes and I’ve yet to have one go. Very different to lightweight butyl.

And as njee says, would check pressures before each ride anyway so makes no difference to me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i cannot tell the difference between butyl and latex, of course i have latex, people who have more time on their hands and measure the rolling resistance of stuff tell me they are better

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

mattyfez

Is latex worth considering on an mtb though? I don’t do anything too extreme.. But still this new fancy tech 80g tube is very appealing assuming they are reasonably robust.. They’d have to be to justify £20 a pop.. I’m not expecting them to be as robust as standard butyl tubes but I’ll be looking for real world reviews of these like a hawk!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

havent carried tube in about 4 years – carry the repair kit. Not used either. But I always keep my stans topped up.

Bike up side down spin wheel, stans to hole pump up.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Even the tiniest thorn left in your tube will puncture one of those lightweight tubes

there still there with tubeless and stans. Best remember stans etc need replacing every 4 – 6 months and I put in 3 cups at least

Leon
    Free Member

I used to use latex tubes in my Mtb. Very similar effect on the ride as tubeless- seem to improve the grip and it feels a few pai softer than it is, compared to a butyl tube. Tubeless is better though, and you can still puncture latex tubes (although they are a bit more resistant than butyl, as they stretch around foreign bodies to some extent

leftyboy
    Free Member

+1 for using a slime tube. I’m about to start carrying one after getting a big enough hole that wouldn’t seal a few weeks ago. I did have a repair kit but having never used one before and finding it difficult to see the hole well (it was covered in crap and my contact lenses are crap for close vision) I stuck a standard tube in and then had a slow puncture!

richardthird

Or just put some stans in a normal tube.

ferrals
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Ferrals, yes I did. Really nice ride to them. Never had a single you know what since I’ve been using them either, which has surprised me a bi

Cheers, thats what i read, will give them a go when I need to replace. New tyres are really nice and supple – seems like a waste using bog standard tubes!

njee20 – Member
    Air leakage is a bit of a non issue – I pump my tyres up every ride,

Agreed I dont see that as an issue, I always check and pump every ride.

Leon – Member
    Tubeless is better though,

Tubeless is a no-no for me on the ‘cross bike as during the week its on turbo duty at the moment so changing tyres a lot and only one set of wheels.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tubeless is a no-no for me on the ‘cross bike as during the week its on turbo duty at the moment so changing tyres a lot and only one set of wheels.

Latex are great but I’d not want to be changing tyres a lot. The trickiest part is getting them on without pinching them (at least on the road bike). I’ve popped a fair few changing tyres. I’d just pick up a cheap wheel for the turbo.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight spare tubes for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.