Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lighten the bike or sell?
  • cinnamon_girl

Would really appreciate some ideas as I’m in a bit of a quandary. Basically, due to illness that I’ll have for the rest of my days, riding is a bit of a struggle.

My second top dog is a full suss that feels really heavy to me. Realistically, apart from new lighter wheels, I don’t think there is much I can do with the weight. It’s gorgeous and a dream frame.

Am not prepared to change the 140mm Fox forks nor the carbon seat post. Riser bar is carbon, brakes are Hope with carbon levers, running XT and using Straitlines pedals.

Can I save any weight by going double and bash? Anywhere else that I may save a little?

Although I mainly use my hardtail which is a good few pounds lighter, it’s rather nice to have a choice. I’m clearly over-biked with the FS and in an ideal world a 120mm FS would be sensible.

As always, thanks. 🙂

scotroutes

You’ll drop a few grammes only – hardly worth it I’d say. You didn’t say anything about the spec of the wheels. You might get more value that way.

somouk
    Free Member

Would really need a full spec list of parts including models… For example swapping some 4 pot hopes for minis would save some weight.

It sounds as though it may be more of a trail bike than a weight weenie XC bike though so maybe changing to something lighter in the first place would help.

grum
    Free Member

Wheels and tyres can make a pretty big difference.

Rosss
    Free Member

Some bikes feel naturally light to ride regardless of travel. My 140mm stumpy feels a world apart from the pitch I had before with the same travel. It could be worth finding a bike that rides ‘lighter’

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Could save over 1kg on wheels and tyres if they’re heavy uns atm.

Andy

You will struggle to get anything really lighter than your Ibis Mojo.

What about all the stuff you used to carry – can you lose some of that? 🙂

vinnyeh

Assuming you don’t want to go through wholesale component changes, picking up a few grams here and there, wheels and tyres are, as said above, the best bet.

My suggestion would be to give Jon at Just Riding Along a call, explain to him what you’ve got and ask for suggestions. They’re wheel experts, and should be able to tell you what’s best for your riding style and weight. Their builds aren’t the cheapest by a fair bit, but they may be able to put something together that’ll be more suitable for you than the current wheels.

atlaz
    Free Member

Question: Have you weighed both the FS and the HT and seen what there is in it? It’s easier if we have some numbers

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe go electric hybrid?

Stealth
    E-mtb

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. 8)

Wheels are Hope Pro3 with DT Swiss rims and they weigh a ton compared to the (tubeless) Crests on the ht. Tyres are Nobby Nic front and Ignitor on the rear.

I think also with the head angle it’s making climbing hard so trying to ensure that Propedal is used.

You will struggle to get anything really lighter than your Ibis Mojo.

What about all the stuff you used to carry – can you lose some of that?

Hi Andy, how you doing? There’s guys on here with much lighter Mojo’s but not sure how the frame weights compare between old and new models.

Don’t carry much these days cos I’m only pootling. Not that I ever did. 😉

Edit: Mojo is around 26.5 lbs and Ti is around 22 lbs.

grum
    Free Member

26.5lbs sounds pretty light for a 140mm full suss.

cinnamon_girl

26.5lbs sounds pretty light for a 140mm full suss.

Yes, it’s not hugely heavy. The problem is that due to illness I’m now built like a brick sh!thouse hence my struggling.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d forget the idea of lightening a bike that you may not ever be able to use fully, and opt for the most pleasing (to you) option of a bike that will do the stuff you can manage.

Go for a light HT and kit it out to be quick rather than heavy/strong.

Much more fun to be had from a bike that you can scoot along on, on trails and tracks..

br
    Free Member

Wheels are Hope Pro3 with DT Swiss rims and they weigh a ton compared to the (tubeless) Crests on the ht. Tyres are Nobby Nic front and Ignitor on the rear.

Swap the wheels onto which bike you’re riding at that time, although I’, struggling to imagine that there is more than 150g per rim.

Or, sell the lot and buy an Anthem?

Hi Andy, how you doing? There’s guys on here with much lighter Mojo’s but not sure how the frame weights compare between old and new models.

You’ll find they’re ‘estimating’, or guessing at the least… 😉

My riding buddy weighed his 29er yesterday. His estimate was 27lb, and it weighed 29lb.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The only way to be sure is to make an excel spreadsheet with all the weights on it.

Am i the only one thats done that??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lighten the bike or sell?’ is closed to new replies.