Home Forums Chat Forum Light switch with illuminated back light?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Light switch with illuminated back light?
  • oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Not a power on light more help you find it in the dark? Do they exist?

chrispoffer

I’ve fitted a few of these around the house and they do illuminate faintly when switched off –

https://www.retrotouch.co.uk/touch-light-switches.html

mattyfez

I don’t see why there couldn’t be an always on small LED in the switch plate..

Stop press… yes you can:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CNBINGO-Switch-Tempered-Backlight-Neutral/dp/B09JK9ZHL5?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1AG0OOQF1LX93&th=1

That was the first one I stumbled across, not a reccomendation per se.

maccruiskeen

Two simple options I’ve done in the past – one is just to put a glow in the dark sticker on the switch. The other is you can get little motion sensitive  plug in nightlights. So if theres a socket in proximity of the switch you’ll get the room illuminated well enough to navigate to it.

dirkpitt74

MK do an illuminated frame that sits behind the switch.

Screenshot 2024-09-23 125717

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Thanks all much appreciated

IHN

They definitely exist, every light switch in my parent’s retirement flat has a backlight around it.

Cougar

Two simple options I’ve done in the past – one is just to put a glow in the dark sticker on the switch. The other is you can get little motion sensitive  plug in nightlights.

Ditto.  I got a roll of glow-in-the-dark tape and cut it to size.  We have baby gates because my partner runs a childminding service from home and after tripping over the bastarding things for the twelvtieth time they’re now all nicely marked up.

There’s a plug-in nightlight on the landing so I can go for a midnight wee without waking up the household.  I bought this and would recommend it, reaction to ambient lighting is instantaneous and the three different colours are different brightness levels.

desperatebicycle

Get an Echo and use Alexa voice control. My mate walks round his house “Alexa, lounge light on!” “OK” “Alexa, bedroom lamp off!” “OK”. Bit mad really but he never has to look for a light switch in the dark :) (not a completely serious reply)

desperatebicycle

https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree-instinct-50a-1-gang-dp-control-switch-white-with-led/430hv

Ebay has loads of glow-in-the-dark stickers designed to be stuck on or round the switch as a cheap alternative. (£3 ish)

matt_outandabout

+1 on PIR night lights on a plug.
    And I grew up in a house with wee glow in the dark stars on every switch.

Cougar

Get an Echo and use Alexa voice control.

This is a spendy solution of course, but it (usually!) works well.  If you group the Echo with the lights in the room it’s in, you don’t even need to specify the room.  “Alexa, lights on” is sufficient to control the room you’re in.  I also have “Alexa, goodnight” which shuts down every smart light/device in the building.

CountZero

Luminous stickers are only good for an hour or two, and only then if they’re given a good strong charge once everyone has gone to bed. Backlit switches are much more reliable.

I don’t need help finding light switches in the dark, I know where they all are, I’ve lived in the house most of my life! I’ve usually got one or two small flashlights by the side of the bed, on a small table, if I need light, I use one of those, much better than having bright room lights that dazzle me at stupid o’clock in the morning!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.