Home Forums Bike Forum Light but proper 27.5″ tyres for kids

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Light but proper 27.5″ tyres for kids
  • voodoo-rich

14 year old daughter just got a new hardtail to keep up with dad and her brother – I’m keen to keep her interested in going off-road and one recent comment she made was “how does he corner so fast?” about her brother. She has Kenda Booster tyres (on a Liv Tempt 1) and might benefit from something a bit more chunky. I don’t want to go the full DHF/ DHR combo, think it’s overkill for her. Maybe a Nobby Nic and Wicked Will pairing would do? The OE Kendas are pretty hard and fairly heavy for a shallow-knob tyre.

Any recommendations for light but capable tyres for a 52kg XC rider?

nixie

Vittoria Barzo?

seriousrikk

Another vote for the Barzo. Suprisingly good in the corners when it’s dry. Exciting when it’s not dry.

But for such a grippy tyre it’s damn fast!

Tracey

Specialized Ground Control or Purgatory in the Grid versions would be my preference. Both can be had in the sales for around £18 a tyre

alan1977
    Free Member

Continental trail/crossking ?

stealth add, got pair of nearly new trail kings in 27.5 x2.2 i need to shift

bikerevivesheffield

Nobby nic and rock razor on my daughter’s bike

Or a Hans dampf

voodoo-rich

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely a few worth looking into.

VanHalen

to get her to go around corners faster get her some coaching rather than tyres.

but anything soft and grippy would help.

MartynS

Hope you don’t mine but I’ve messaged you.
    The spesh suggestion up there is good.. I ran Butcher/Purgatory for ages and they were great.

Might also be worth a look on Merlin to see what Schwable tyres are on offer.

voodoo-rich

Thanks again… coaching would be fun, but trying not to scare her off! I have to dress in “normal” clothes when we go riding to reduce the cringe factor. Marginal gains like new tyres will do for now.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Triton cycles have Tioga glide g3tt for £29, a rear tyre but surprisingly good tyre upfront and 800g, a lot of people don’t know about this tyre but it’s a great front tyre for lighter riders that don’t need double down casing.

VanHalen

my 14yr old daughter quited liked their one coaching sesh theyve done so far. (at whinlatter in the lakes) (2 girls 11 and 14 and wife did it) – she doesnt like me telling her what to do haha!

my girls have merlin special hans dampfs. was ok for them in the alps last summer (on their hts) but they are blue riders only.

‘I have to dress in “normal” clothes when we go riding to reduce the cringe factor’ – this begs the question – what the hell are your wearing!!?? haha!

oldfart

I’ve got a brand new Maxxis Ardent Race you can have for £29 posted .

oldfart

That should read £20 posted ! DOH !

andy4d

I have had Schwalbe lite skin (Nics) on my sons bike in a bid to cut a bit of weight for him, as he was light himself I felt the lower protection of the lite skins would be ok and they were. Never had a puncture.

steamtb

When Amber swapped to her Neuron Young Hero, I was quite dubious about the tyres that came with the bike. She’s always had pretty grippy tyres in the past, Vee Snap, Maxxis DHF etc and she really does test that grip. The Neuron came with a Nobby Nic front and a Rocket Ron on the rear and the grip she finds in all conditions is really surprising especially given the tread on the Ron. They are also fast rolling, so that’s a win too. :) maybe worth a thought, Amber is happy to hit corners at BPW with speed that makes me wince…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.