• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Light bicycle carbon rims tubeless setup
  • composite
    Free Member

So my “wider 29er” rims should be arriving tomorrow from light bicycle and I want to run them tubeless. It’s my first foray into tubeless so total numpty.

I have stans sealant.

I need valves and the yellow tape yeah?

Or rim strips with the valves?

I thought I had seen some people mentioning that they have used botrager rim strips with the light bicycle rims but I can’t find those posts now.

HELP! 😳

uselesshippy
    Free Member

A mate has got another brand of “cheap” Chinese carbon rims. He uses 1″ gorilla tape, and stans valves.
    3 quid a roll of eBay.

composite
    Free Member

Nice one thanks, gorilla tape and valves ordered. 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I used Stans yellow tape and vales on my 26″ Light-Bicycle wide rims.

messiah
    Free Member

I ran mine for a while with 1″ Gorilla tape but I changed to the Bontrager Rhythm strips after having some burping issues. With the Bonty strips in the tyres are tighter and hence much easier to inflate, and I haven’t had any burping issues since. I probably could have achieved the same with more wraps of Gorilla tape but having seen the Bonty strips I like the tyre grabbing groove near the outside… gives a little more confidence if nothing else.

composite
    Free Member

I’ll start with the gorilla tape and see how it goes. Thanks for the info all.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Just an addition to this my gorilla tape failed on my light bike rims and let air into the rim and out of the spokes. Seems like it perished. Im going to try stans tape but probably should just bite the bullet and go for the bonty rim strips.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve heard that you can order the rims only drilled from the inside. It would make fitting the nipples a bit fiddly but would do away with the need for any tapes or strips.

njee20
    Free Member

It would make fitting the nipples a bit fiddly virtually impossible but would do away with the need for any tapes or strips.

Surely?

composite
    Free Member

I went Gorilla tape in the tape and it’s working great so far.

messiah
    Free Member

If you read the monster MTBR thread not drilling the outer part of the rim only works with the new even wider (33mm rims) which have a deep enough section to allow working the nipples round. Those that have done it say it’s fiddly but quite good fun 😯

In my experience you need some of the yellow tape under the gorilla tape to stop it leaking around the spoke holes; perhaps the stans liquid damages the glue on the gorilla tape?.

julians
    Free Member

I just set my 33mm All mountain rims up tubeless last night.

I used stans rim strips, and sealant, and they went up fine.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve used gorilla tape before and while it does work it doesn’t feel particularly secure (when deflated the tyres are completely lose and can practically fall off. It also makes them a bit harder to inflate (even using the compressor took a little while to get them to catch).

I’m currently using Bontrager symmetric TLR strips http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/rhythm-tubeless-rim-strip-symmetric-29-ec037916 on my LB wide 29er rims. The strips fit perfectly, snap in very secure and feel like they were designed for the rim. Just make sure you screw the valve through before putting the rest of the strip in the rim, otherwise you will never get the hole lined up! The same tyres as described above then fit the rim much tighter, they inflated and popped over the strip into the bead hook with a nice bang (at about 30 or 40psi!) and stayed inflated before I’d even put any sealant in.

In my experience, the Gorilla tape does work however the TLR strips are a much better method and I’m much more comfortable running lower pressures without waiting for it to burp.

DT78
    Free Member

Was wondering this myself for when mine arrive. Anyone using 2.1 rocket Ron’s tubeless?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Light bicycle carbon rims tubeless setup’ is closed to new replies.