Home Forums Bike Forum Lever for dropper post on drop bars?

• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by jfab.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lever for dropper post on drop bars?
  • bowglie

Bit of a niche I guess(?). Can anyone recommend me a dropper post lever for my latest drop bar ‘adventure bike’ build? I seem to remember demoing a gravel bike (couple of years ago!) that had a ‘double ended trigger’ type lever that could be operated by a finger or thumb from the brake hood – couldn’t see a brand on the lever though. It was a nice simple lever design and had a nice light action.

FWIW, I’m reusing my old BikeYoke Revive V1 post, so preferably need a lever where the end stop of the cable will sit – although I can fudge it to work with a plain cable, so lever with grub screw should also be ok.

TIA

tthew

Your description sounds like my Fox Transfer one. Works well, nice light action, (although I suspect that’s more to do with the seatpost).

FOX Transfer Drop-Bar Dual Pull Seatpost Lever

iainc

Giant do one too, you can see a picture of it in this link :

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/gear-reviews/new-2023-giant-revolt-x-advanced-pro-gravel-bike/

I didn’t like the reviews of the Giant gravel dropper much, so specced my Revolt X with an AXS Reverb, actuated by pressing both STI levers at same time.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I use one of these on my gravel bike, works well from both drops and hood though makes wrapping them bars slightly more of a fiddle.

https://pnwcomponents.co.uk/collections/levers-1/products/drop-bar-lever-kit?variant=49004474925349

stanley

As above, I’m using  the Fox AXS Transfer lever on two bikes. I think it’s ace. Worth experimenting with position before taping ‘bars. I set mine about a finger’s width below the hoods. Grubscrew at lever, as they should be, so you’ll need to anchor the cable at the other end.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The best solution if you’re running 1x is also the most spendy one – a LH brake lever with the built in dropper lever – there’s a Shimano GRX one, and I think also a SRAM version.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/grx-11-speed/ST-RX810-LA.html

I’ve tried a couple of demo bikes that had the clamp on remotes and they were never near as convenient to use from all bar positions, or as comfortable.

iainc

The best solution if you’re running 1x is also the most spendy one – a LH brake lever with the built in dropper lever – there’s a Shimano GRX one, and I think also a SRAM AXS Reverb version.

FTFY :)

rOcKeTdOg

PRO (Shimano) do a good one. But as said the integrated lever version s are day and night better for activating without even thinking about it from the hoods or drops.

monkeyboyjc

I had good results from the crank brothers drop bar lever – just be really careful with the cable route, as with any similar lever. Any tight runs will make the lever stiff to use.

bowglie

Ah, thanks guys. I’ve got some of the new SRAM Apex 1×12 levers (mechanical shifting), so will investigate the left brake lever option before going with a separate lever.

chakaping

I have the PNW one linked above, with a PNW post.

It’s alright but not particularly great.

I’d prefer a brake lever one or under-saddle lever would be ideal – so I could swap between dropper & normal post quickly.

ampthill

Some one on heat recommended the Fox one

It took some fiddling to get in the correct place. It’s fab. Not missing is being on the left lever

But spendy for a small piece of metal

jfab

You can take the ratchet out of a SRAM Apex shifter and it works well, although only if your left lever is actually a shifter lever and not one of their 1x specific ones that doesn’t have the secondary paddle or any of the internal gubbins like mine is.

Here’s the guide we followed:

https://www.bikeblogordie.com/2018/10/turn-sram-shifter-into-dropper-post.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.