Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Let's see your…Sovereigns, BFe's, Alpines, 456s…and any other OTT hardtails.
  • chvck
    Free Member

IMG_0139 by chvckd, on Flickr

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

What is that chvckd?

chvck
    Free Member

It’s a NS Surge 🙂

Vortexracing

mine ex 2

IMGP1131 by eastham_david, on Flickr

IMG_2923 by eastham_david, on Flickr

tum-yeto
    Free Member

bought this frame off vortex…..too small but amazing looking.

firestarter
    Free Member

go on then 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

This thread is making me think I need an Alpine. Are they good for rooty/bumpy downhill? I’ve been considering upgrading to a full sus but it’s so expensive and the alpines look so bloody nice with big forks on em!

Dunno if this counts as OTT but here’s my Trailstar before I got a front brake and new stem/bars! Great for jumping and general trail use. Going to be singlespeed soon as the drivetrain’s just about nackered and I don’t want to buy a new cassette/chainrings/cables/jockey wheels.

Jamie
    Free Member

Was this….

….and now this:

alpin
    Free Member

_tom_

This thread is making me think I need an Alpine. Are they good for rooty/bumpy downhill?

yes, but lots of it is down to technique…. and a bit fat tyre on the rear.

_tom_
    Free Member

Tbh I do ok on my Trailstar (high roller 2.35 dual ply on the rear) but feel that maybe I would be more comfortable down steep things on something slacker with a bit more travel… All the guys I ride with are telling me to go full sus – I’ve tried it and it was nice to be able to plough through stuff – but I feel like it might make me a bit lazy on line choice and technique especially as I’m fairly new to downhill having only done about 5 “proper” dh rides!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This thread is making me think I need an Alpine. Are they good for rooty/bumpy downhill? I’ve been considering upgrading to a full sus but it’s so expensive and the alpines look so bloody nice with big forks on em!

I thought mine was quality for downhill, rode quite alot of the “main” downhill tracks in the Alps on it and it was awesome, especially with those 66’s. I also think it has more of that “steel is real blah blah” feel to it than my cotic does, which is fairly stiff.

If you like doing jumps n that then I’d keep the dmr or get a cotic cos they feel a bit better than the alpine for jumping

_tom_
    Free Member

I wanted to build up a “big” bike with long travel (how much will an alpine actually take?), gears etc then keep the Trailstar w/rigid forks for trail centres and dirt jumping! The question is do I go full sus or downhilly hardtail for the bigger bike?

Anyway sorry for making a discussion, more pics please 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

lower bb on dmr and cotic than the alpine.

think FS does make people lazier in their line choices. there’s nothing i on’t ride down (note ‘ride’, not jump) on my Alpine that many FS riders gets the shits on.

HT… more bike, less hassle…

GW
    Free Member

had a shot jumping on mates’ Alpine, Soul and BFe’s and thought the Alpine was the most neutral jump bike (but it was a small/short with a stiff 100mm DJ fork)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

keep the Trailstar w/rigid forks for trail centres and dirt jumping!

I used rigid forks on my old trailstar for a short while. I think i remember it being pretty awful

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The white sov – ooooh!

_tom_
    Free Member

I use rigids whenever my Pikes aren’t working. I like the feel although it makes it even steeper unless you get longer axle-to-crown ones.

DaveE

[/url][/img]

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Nezbo
    Free Member

This is the only pic i have, to busy riding to take photos out on the trail (but i will do one day)

william
    Free Member

psychle
    Free Member

Not a complete bike yet… but my latest ‘hardcore hardtail’ a Sinister Ridge 8)

sinister by ten_sim, on Flickr

RDL-82
    Free Member

Was this…

On-One 456 Summer Season by e1ys1um, on Flickr

…Bought some bits, butchered it and built this…

Ragley Mmmbop by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Both great, just pipped in the fun stakes by the mmmbop, imo

epicsteve
    Free Member

Doug
    Free Member

Pointing, drains blah blah blah. Waiting for Brants new 160mm forked HT offering to steepen the ST and drop the BB.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Jeeeezusss Doug are you sure your seatpost is gonna be long enough!! 😀

Heres mine. Shouldn’t work I suppose, heavy coil forks on a nice light frame but it rides like a dream 😀

Doug
    Free Member

6’4″ with a 36″ inside leg usually results in Frankenbike unless you go to gate like frames which handle like cr@p downhill.

ds3000
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Swapped the Highrollers for Ardents, definitely faster rolling but a completely different feel.

richhh
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    how much will an alpine actually take?

So far, everything that anyone who has ever owned one, has thrown at it. Almost 200 sold, zero bent, cracked or broken to date.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

My old Alpine, which possibly appears more than once in this thread – who bought a purple alpine off me?

If that’s Simon from EBC in Chapel A it was me. Sadly thieved by scrotes 🙁

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Any excuse…
    And yes, the seat does need to be that low…

kiwijohn

DMR Switchback, built in 04. Now back in regular service since the FS is undergoing surgery. Home respray job followed by a bit of doodling.
    & no, the seat never goes down.

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Bumhands
    Free Member

Soon to be battleship grey. Plus complete new drivetrain.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, Alpine in trans red. Mmmm………..

Vortexracing

That Curtis always makes me want one. It just looks so right

SirHC

Waiting on 2011 revelations and tyres, then I’ll start building it.

mboy
    Free Member

Soon to be battleship grey. Plus complete new drivetrain.

Noooooooooo… Just about to do the reverse with my BFe frame… Powdercoat Black is sooooo much better than Battleship Grey!

Bernaard
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your…Sovereigns, BFe's, Alpines, 456s…and any other OTT hardtails.’ is closed to new replies.