Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Let's see your pictures of office furniture and bridges
  • roverpig

Get them out of the way now. And no, I wouldn’t rather have spent the day staining the fence or cutting the grass.

I know that nobody is interested in the 26″ bike now the new 650boy is in town, so I’ll keep this brief (for me).

I had a 2006 version that I really enjoyed but had to sell as it was just too small. Getting back on this 2013 model I was struck not so much by the difference as by how similar it felt. I had an angle adjusting headset and offset bushings on the 2006 version, so the angles were probably pretty similar. But it’s more than that. I guess all Fives basically feel like Fives.

It was funny listening to that chatter between the front and back wheels about which way to go again, but that’s one of the defining characteristics of the Five and I like it. Others don’t and that’s fine too. It’s all just bikes innit.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Rover any more pics? Would love to see a few more of the forks with frame combo as mine will look identical! Is it mandarin or neon?

Can go to email if you’d prefer

roverpig

Here you go; knock yourself out 🙂

2013 Five

The colour is neon orange, but the pictures don’t really do it justice. On the plus side the colours are pretty much what you’d expect if you didn’t look at pictures. My 2006 Five was mandarin and it was indeed pretty much the same colour as a mandarin orange skin.

For the neon just think Acid House or highlighter pen and you won’t be far off. It’s brighter than the sun when it’s bright and seems to glow in low light. Not subtle, but I like it.

nickwatson
    Free Member

More office furniture in front of a poorly maintained fence, 2011 Plasma Blue Five:

Nick

Northwind

These filing cabinets seem a little bit small. Here is what Nickwatson’s bike might look like when it grows up 😉

IMG_1796 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

roverpig

That 224 looks properly scary. I hope your will is up to date 🙂

Much as I like the neon colours plasma blue and white does look very stylish.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Looks good, I like the neon colour and next nicest colour is the blue I think too! It looks better than mine with revs up front though I maybe swapping to some kashimas soon enough and it will look pretty much the same as yours rover but mandarin

nickwatson
    Free Member

Northwind, it will get Saint groupset, and maybe a CCDB air in the new year, so on it’s way to growing up 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

Here’s my effort, my first full suss only just built up…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9951156/

Sorry cant get pics up on STW

Love it, colour is crazy but looks good in the flesh pretty crappy in pics but this pic shows the colour better…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9946373/

roverpig

Hmm, Renthal bars, very nice.

How did you get those rubber grommets back in the swing arm so neatly? That job has always defeated me. I end up trying to push it back with a screwdriver, only to rip it.

nwill1
    Free Member

I only did the rear brake hose, it don’t quite sit flush at the bottom but being the underside its hard to see, it was lots of poking with a small screwdriver, I started to damage it so left it as best I could.

Ps is that a Thomson dropper? How is it have been looking at Reverb.

robhughes
    Free Member

I see you got it finished NW and very nice it looks aswell.
    That was the (labor of love) frame job was it not.. 😉

matt_outandabout

Look at the fold on that:

Sub5005.JPG by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Orange Sub5.JPG by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

scaredypants

– oh 🙁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

friday afternoon weld that,

mattjg
    Free Member

god u lot have ugly bikes

bearnecessities

friday afternoon weld that

I have worked in an office for far too many years. However, from my early days before the real world and working/loitering around bikes, always used to give a knowing nod to a good weld (despite being in no way qualified to do so)…and that would not have got a nod!

Edit: To the OP, that bike is pretty handsome IMO.

nwill1
    Free Member

So what do you ride mattjd?

rexated
    Free Member

😉

creamegg
    Free Member

mattjg
    Free Member

@nwill

http://canfieldbrothers.com/frames/yelli-screamy
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/selma

Note, my comment was not a criticism. Whatever makes one happy is cool.

roverpig

Ps is that a Thomson dropper? How is it have been looking at Reverb.

If that question is for me then, no, it’s one of the early specialized command posts. I picked it up from the classifieds here last year and it’s still going strong. I’m not saying that it is as good as a Reverb, but it has not let me down, so I can’t justify replacing it.

I toyed with the idea of a Yelli Screamy (still might one day), but that squashed look doesn’t do it for me. Each to their own.

Nice bridge by the way.

Northwind

robhughes – Member

That was the (labor of love) frame job was it not..

Hey, it only took me about 4 months to build :mrgreen: And naturally stayed shiny for exactly one ride.

Re welds… Mine really does look like it was welded by a drunk, some of them while he was pissed, some of them afterwards when the DTs kicked in. But they seem strong enough for all that (mine is that weirdest of statistical anomalies, an Evo with no cracks or aftermarket custom welds.)

righog
    Free Member

How about a Five reclining on furniture ?

and doing the job of a bridge.

mattjg
    Free Member

I toyed with the idea of a Yelli Screamy (still might one day), but that squashed look doesn’t do it for me. Each to their own.

It’s an acquired taste, I bought it for the ride not the looks, just like you lot with your oranges. But actually, de-decalled and mostly black, I’ve become quite fond of it.

Welcome to a spin if you are down Surrey way sometime.

roverpig

Oscillate Wildly:[/u] It looks better than mine with revs up front though I maybe swapping to some kashimas soon enough

I know what you mean. Strange as it may seem to those who find the Five ugly, this build has been as much about the aesthetics as anything else for me.

I’ve spent a lot of time, effort and cash trying to workout what is the best bike for me. After many test rides and a few test builds I’ve come to the conclusion that you are as well just going for whatever looks right to you. They are all good in some situations and not so good in others, which is why it can be good to have more than one.

I’ve used both Fox Float and Rockshox Rev forks in the past and, if I’m honest, the Revs (RCT3) were the better fork, but the Fox forks just look right (to me) on the Five.

mattjg
    Free Member

Still struggling to get over Matt’s Sub5. WTF’s going on with that cabling?

roverpig

I guess you never know when you might need a bit of spare cable 🙂

I can just about bear to look at them these days, but my god, I’d forgotten how fugly they were with a straight top tube.

Almost as ugly as these

roverpig

Doh, just realised that I moved the picture that should have been at the start of this thread. So, for anybody who missed it, here are two for te price of one 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

was the chainring & crank logo alignment luck or judgement?

Looking at the rims/tyres, I’d say pre-calculated.

roverpig

There were four options for mounting the Hope bashring and lining the logos just seemed the obvious choice. That the logos are horizontal on the picture was just luck though.

mattjg
    Free Member

For the purposes of balance, here’s my Yelli on a bridge. ***

*** the bridge is the standout feature **** of my garden North Shore

**** only feature

roverpig

Is that its best side 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah – lots of things look best from the rear I find

righog
    Free Member

roverpig…I guess you are still getting to grips with the setup, but I found the ride was transformed when I lost all the spacers under the stem. When I cut the steerer I left enough space for one spacer.

rickt
    Free Member

roverpig

Thanks righog. Yes, I’m still playing with bar height. I like to start tall as you can always cut the steerer down but it’s harder to add bits on 🙂

I started a thread about bar height last week and the general consensus was that you wouldn’t usually have the bars much lower than the saddle. So, I’ve started with the bars and saddle level, but I agree that there are a lot of spacers (more than I usually have).

With my FF29 I started with the bars level with saddle but couldn’t get on with it and have now removed all the spacers and flipped the stem to get the bars as low as possible, which feels much better. But that’s really set up as an XC bike rather than a trail bike.

A few things do make me think that the bar height might not be right for me as it is on the Five though.

When I started my bar height thread I was pretty sure that I knew where my saddle should be and was thinking of the height of the bars relative to that. I’m now starting to question whether my saddle should actually be lower than its current (heel just reaching at bottom of stroke) height.

I also suspect that thinking of bar height in relation to saddle height may be the wrong anyway. It makes sense to set the bars at whatever height feels best going down, when I’m stood up anyway, so saddle height is irrelevant.

All of which is a very long winded way of saying that I’m still playing with it.

I’d have to say that it did feel pretty damn good as it was though. It’s taken me an awful long while to really understand the Five. I’ve always kind of liked them (and owned an older one), but keep talking myself out of them. I think I’ve got it now though 🙂

roverpig

cable cutters for rickt please 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your pictures of office furniture and bridges’ is closed to new replies.