Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • let's see your Croix De Fer's
  • iainc

I’m off injured but hoping to be out soon. Only ridden it 4 or 5 hrs so far and just got big pack for touring trips.

Santa is bringing me Ortlieb rack roller plus panniers for road touring 🙂 Have already got Blackburn rack awaiting

iainc

oh well, just me then 😛

velomanic
    Free Member

I’ll play!

y0eddy
    Free Member

This is my wife’s initial response to your pic, velomanic

“GET IT OFF THE DINNING TABLE!!!”

iainc

Yay 🙂 what chainset on that one ?

Bregante

My 2009/2010

Bike stuff for sale 002 by redmancunian69, on Flickr

Nice bike but overkill for a short commute so sold it last year for a much cheaper alternative.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Bregante what you running now?

Bregante

2nd hand Spesh Singlecross. The CdF funds went into a Cotic Solaris (by way of a Karate Monkey en route).

The Singlecross is more than adequate for its purpose (and a damn sight lighter)

velomanic
    Free Member

Apologies for any offence caused to Mrs y0eddy!

The chainset’s Ultegra 6700 38/52, a recent addition to see if my legs would handle it!

iainc

A biggish gear….

velomanic
    Free Member

Aye, it’s big for the Isle of Man, not many flat roads here!

iainc

Hah, I’m on a 34\30 and ran out on some steep stuff up behind lochgoilhead !

velomanic
    Free Member

Sounds brutal! How are you getting on with the bike?

iainc

Yeah, was a bit steep ! Loving it really. It replaced an 07 Jake the Snake, so a lot more comfort, a couple more gears and an extra few pounds. It is more able off road though. Been playing with tyres, between the ones it came with, small block 8’s and some other knobbly contis on way. Also have 32c slicks for road duties. No negatives so far, although have kicked the rear brake with left heel a few times.

velomanic
    Free Member

Loving mine too. I wanted a disk-braked road bike that was both comfortable and able to withstand being ridden hard on poor / broken road surfaces and it does the job brilliantly. Had 28mm Conti GP4S for the summer, just put a pair of GatorSkins on for winter duties. I’ve made a few changes including swapping the brakes for TRP Hy/Rd’s which work really well. Interesting that you’ve had a couple of heel strikes now they’ve moved the rear brake inboard. The only change I’d make is to route the rear brake cable down the centre of the top tube for a neater line!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

22.5 lbs with pedals, lovely to ride.

My equilibrium is 20.5lbs, so I don’t think that is bad at all.

Seriously lighter than the brick retail version.

Jamie
    Free Member

iainc

Looks good Jamie 🙂 (wtf is that cage tho ?!)

Lummox

And how it looks now having been ridden into a BMW

iainc

Ouch 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

http://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages/50-spring.html

Going for a 2-tone effect.

…which is slightly ruined by the Genesis paint being paper thin and already being down to the bare metal at some points inside the stays.

To their credit, they did send me some touch up paint.

Lummox

Yeh ouch, still off work from beginning of december

iainc

Jamie – mine came with touch up paint, odd but nice touch 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d love a Croix De Fer for some reason, just a shame they don’t offer one with a carbon fork. Have you seen the new Equilibrium Disc? I’ve just got a standard Equilibrium, it’s a great bike though.

iainc

Fine looking bike David 🙂 equilibrium disc would be on my list if looking for something more roadesq.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not mine obviously, but having seen one of these in the LBS on Saturday, I am feeling a strong lure towards it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fine looking bike David

😀 Not entirely convinced tbh….

The Equilibrium Disc looks like it’d cover what alot of people use their CDF’s for (road/rough road/fire road), but better! Although perhaps not quite as good for real off road stuff…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Not mine obviously, but having seen one of these in the LBS on Saturday, I am feeling a strong lure towards it!

Lovely looking frame, seems strange they spec it as a full bike with fairly average bits. I’d have thought most people would do a custom build on one of them.

iainc

CFH – looks lovely but a lot extra over standard one, with as mentioned above not top spec kit. Also brake caliper unmoved on that version, which may or may not be good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, some of the bits are a bit low end, but a lovely frame.

And, I suspect that people would want to tweak the spec anyway (Commuter, tourer, race bike etc) so better to pour money in to the frame.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not entirely convinced tbh….

They’re ok.

Consider yourself convinced.

A lot of money for the full bike, though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Consider yourself convinced.

It’s got blue brake cables and mudguards. I think “just ok” is about right.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I sold my CdF because I thought I needed a FS MTB more……… *tuts, shakes head* 😳

Conqueror
    Free Member

ROSE XEON DX-2000 2014 – This looks good for a full build road disc as does the PX Kaffenback 2 (but its quite heavy)

The Equilbrium Disc and Croix De Fer look good but quite steep £££ as pointed out

Haven’t found much else that is more roadish [with discs] than CX

Andy

First short ride on mine today. It’s only taken me 6 moths to put together! 🙄 better pics tomorrow!

Fwd: Hmmm lovely day for it by carlos_fandango, on Flickr

iainc

Nice long steerer Andy 🙂

Just in from first ride since a bit mtb crash 2 weeks ago, 25 quiet road miles on the CDF, Lovely 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

First short ride on mine today. It’s only taken me 6 moths to put together! better pics tomorrow!

I thought I was bad at 2 months…

lucien

CDF on my short, short list for new bike – has anyone put a 29’er wheel set on theirs yet? Does the hub fit across the rear, and what’s the clearance like for say a 40mm 29’er tyre (ie 1.6 RR’s or similar)?

iainc

Lucien, not sure on hub widths as hubs road sized. A 40 mm tyre would go in back. Front standard tyre is a 35mm conti CX, which is pretty close to fork crown

lucien

Thanks Iain’s, Road hubs are 130mm, MTB hubs are 135mm – would the frame flex enough for these

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘let's see your Croix De Fer's’ is closed to new replies.