Recommend me a rear light please.

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me a rear light please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Recommend me a rear light please.
  • inbred853

Well my Knog Skink has finally died and I’m looking for a replacement. Quick look on the usual sites and I’m drawn to the Lezyne Zecto and the Knog Binder, anything else comparable?
    Cheers

Premier Icon T666DOM
    Subscriber

Hope District 3. Thread closed

Dibbs

L&M Vis 180 for the non-Hope fans.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

Dibbs beat me to it but yeah L&M Viz 180, I even run it in daylight on overcast mornings, makes a real positive difference to how the cars behave around you.

andyl

Picked up one of these for each bike when they were £1.99. Really bright and cheap.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart_bleep_dual_05_watt_led_rear_light

pdw

Moon Shield 60.

mrmo

to be honest get two lights , lights die! on the front you know, the back you don’t. I have two 1/2W smarts which are fairly bright.

inbred853

Cheers peeps, a couple there that I hadn’t seen/known of. The Hope is a bit out of my price bracket though 😯

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

Knog Blinder R – the 70 (?) lumens one. Very good so far – noticeable difference in amount of space I’m being given by most drivers. Mrmo speaks sense though – use two, even if the second is £2 On One one.

butcher

I have a Smart Lunar R1 and I think it’s great. One 1 watt LED and two 1/2 watt LEDs. The 1/2 watt LEDs stay on all the time, while the big one burns your retinas in various modes.

One time after riding for 14 hours through some pretty stormy weather it refused to switch off (a fault I’ve heard from other people), but if that’s the worst that happens, I can live with it. It’s been my favourite rear light so far.

TiRed

Two Cateye Rapid 1’s, one mounted to the saddle rails and one to the seatpost.

wwpaddler

Blackburn Mars 4.0 currently £12.99 at Coventry Cycle Centre

Premier Icon grtdkad
    Subscriber

Knog Blinder is great. USB chargeable. Quick release. Totally waterproof.

And mega bright (as per the name). I have two.

aphex_2k

I took a punt on that 90l light that was on kickstarter. It’s got backing now so eagerly awaiting it’s arrival in Jan.

Until then, Smart 1w rear does the job along side a FibreFLare

I’ve got the moon shied and seems good, is bloody bright and nicely made. Whatever you do go for something rechargeable

billytinkle

Another vote for the Moon Shield 60 here. I’ve had rear lights from Knog, Cateye and Lezyne, but the Moon is the best of the lot. Small, powerful, rechargable and well made.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

2 rear lights are more than twice as good as one.

one steady light helps a driver track your motion, judge your speed – one blinky light helps catch their eye.

neither needs to be especially bright.

gt900uk

Exposure flare small, bright and I like that hype flash mode has the light on all the time with a brighter pulse of light.

I run two Moon Shields here. One flashing on helmet, one constant on bike. Very, very impressed to date. Have had many a comment about how visible they are. Not how bright they are, note, but how visible they are. This is a Good Thing.

pdw

+1 for two lights, so that you’ve got a backup when one quietly packs up.

neither needs to be especially bright.

Well, like front lights, there’s no need to get into a lumens arms race, but I think there’s a lot to be said for going for the brighter end of what’s available.

I passed a cyclist yesterday on a busy, unlit 60mph country road, and despite having two perfectly serviceable rear lights, I was quite surprised at how hard he was to see and identify as a cyclist amongst the sea of other lights.

I have a Smart Lunar R1 … after riding for 14 hours through some pretty stormy weather it refused to switch off, but if that’s the worst that happens…

It’s not – once the switch fills with water it’s a lottery what mode it ends up in, and quite often they’ll end up off. Less of an issue on bikes with mudguards, but I still wouldn’t rely on one as my only light.

Saccades

I have a Smart Lunar R1 and I think it’s great. One 1 watt LED and two 1/2 watt LEDs. The 1/2 watt LEDs stay on all the time, while the big one burns your retinas in various modes.

One time after riding for 14 hours through some pretty stormy weather it refused to switch off (a fault I’ve heard from other people), but if that’s the worst that happens, I can live with it. It’s been my favourite rear light so far.

I have 2 of these, brilliant bits of kit – one on the seat stay and one on the under saddle bag. Plus the smart brackets work well and are v cheap to get extras for (design not changed in years).

I keep the 2 little LED’s on and set the main one to flash mode.

The sealing is OK, when they get properly saturated they short to a default of “everything on”. This has happened to me twice on my v first old one.

Easy to fix once home by allowing it to dry out.

They regularly show up on CRC/On-one dirt cheap too.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

these are pretty good especially on the road. Blinding performance.

Scorpion

freeagent

The waterproofness of Smart R1 + R2 lights can be greatly improved by cutting a 10mm band from an old road bike inner tube and putting it around the joint (where the lens and backing plate meet)
    You can improve things even further by smearing a bit of Vaseline on the O-ring seal between both halves of the light.

The waterproofness of Smart R1 + R2 lights can be greatly improved by cutting a 10mm band from an old road bike inner tube and putting it around the joint (where the lens and backing plate meet)
    You can improve things even further by smearing a bit of Vaseline on the O-ring seal between both halves of the light.
    buying a light that’s properly waterproof in the first place.

FTFY.

stumpy01

The one that boxelder links too is also branded as the Smart Lunar R2. It is a very good light – not really used it in particularly inclement conditions so can’t comment on it’s weather-proofness. But, the two halves don’t seem particularly well sealed, so I’d be surprised if it was particularly resilient in a downpour. Keep meaning to stick some vaseline or similar around the joint of mine.

I also use one of the wide 5 LED Catetye lights and keep that on constant with the Lunar R2 on flashing mode. it does a pulsing mode where the lights dim & brighten but never go off. This is my current favourite mode for running this light, although the crazy random mode must be quite eye catching too!

Waderider

I’ve had a lot of good use out of my Moon Shield. The ease of fitting and removal is excellent.

Premier Icon teadrinker
    Subscriber

Moon Shield 60.

This. Quite frankly for the money I think it’s an amazing light. USB charge as well. And for my own personal enjoyment the strobe setting and unsuspecting work colleagues when bored.

Premier Icon thetallpaul
    Subscriber

Moon Comet + Exposure Flare here.
    Comet is USB charge and I use rechargeables in the Flare.
    Comet is on constant, is very bright and lights up the road surface too.
    Flare is on pulse. The constant on with regular pop of full power light is very effective IMO.
    Aldi arm and leg reflective strips with leds help define rider shape.
    In a sad way I’m quite drawn to a Tron like effect on a jacket using EL Tape.

bland

Another vote for the moon comet, bleeding bright and rechargeable with a nice saddle rail mount

Premier Icon AD
    Subscriber

I’ve found this one to be pretty good (particularly bearing in mind how cheap it is): http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/lighting/bike-lights/rear-led-lights/rsp-astrum-2-x-1-2-watt-rear-led-light.html

Premier Icon ricardo666
    Subscriber

Blackburn mars 4 was 12 notes from merlin, so I bought another one.

superfinlay

Dinotte daylight with an exposure maxxD diffuser…I keep getting honked at for some reason, but at least they see me!

mudpup

New Knog Blinder Road rear

inbred853

I’ve gone for a Kong Blinder Road peeps, cheers.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Portland Designs Danger zone light.

It’s ace.

Cars steer well clear of me with that on.

kcr

Just bought a PDW Danger Zone as my 3rd rear. It is very bright, can’t say it has made any difference to the behaviour of motorists, however. Probably just makes it easier to aim at me…

riley

Anyone know where I can get a Hope District 3 with battery and charger from?

Lezyne Zecto

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Riley, Halfords had some at 30% off, dunno if they still have stock though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear light please.’ is closed to new replies.