Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Lets have a mass trespass…or something?
  • MrAgreeable

I’m pretty sure that IMBA is staffed and run by volunteers so it’s a bit churlish to complain that they’re not doing enough.

I haven’t received their newsletter for a while but every time it came round there would be a story about access rights, either highlighting a problem, appealing for assistance, or reporting on an attempt to reclassify a right of way (which is an expensive and thankless task).

I also think the comparison with CTC is unfair as when IMBA UK was set up, CTC did hardly any advocacy and concentrated on member services instead, so it seems IMBA did their bit in bringing attention to the issues in the first place.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I ride whatever trails I think can handle my bike. I ride with consideration of others (if I’m going to do damage to a trail, I won’t ride it, footpath OR bridleway). I ride trails that don’t exist on maps and trails that are designated for bikes only.

One day I may be taken to court for it. I doubt it though, as I’ve never even been challenged. If I do, I’ll be quite interested to see the legal precedent set for “Charged for being in the countryside and having fun responsibly”.

nickc

I am not a “we”. I go where I want TBH, and have so few confrontations I’ve ceased to think about it.

aracer
    Free Member

I was meaning if I rode cheeky fp’s, like others have done in the past, I might run the risk of a local problem occurring that might affect the bridleways in some way.

But you don’t, because they simply can’t stop you from riding BWs. Your comments are evidence that people already have incorrect understanding on where you can and can’t ride so that won’t change either. I’m really not sure what it is you’re actually worried about.

aracer
    Free Member

One day I may be taken to court for it. I doubt it though

I doubt it too. I’ve asked before, and not had a positive response: has anybody ever been taken to court for riding on a FP? The thing is, from my understanding of the law it’s simply trespass, and their only remedy is to tell you to leave their land by the shortest route possible, and to sue you for what damage you’ve caused, so if you’ve left no trace then you’re home free. I don’t think they’d even get far in claiming monetary loss due to tyre tracks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

.isn’t IMBA the voice of the mountain biker with regard to access type issues?

A voice perhaps, but how representative is open to question. I fell out with them when they trumpetted working together with a 4×4 group to vandalise (not their choice of word, obviously) the top of Fox Road in Grizedale, filling in the lovely puddle 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The thing is, from my understanding of the law it’s simply trespass

in the Peak National Park, there is a byelaw mandating a fine up to £500 for riding a footpath. When I innocently posted pics of us riding Stanage Edge, an STWer thoughtfully reported us to the park authority, but they declined to act despite clear prima face evidence. It subsequently transpired that the supposed FP may be wrongly classified…

aracer
    Free Member

in the Peak National Park, there is a byelaw mandating a fine up to £500 for riding a footpath.

I should have known somebody would point that out, should have known it would be you 😉 , and should have added “where there are no bylaws”.

I suspect your photos would be insufficient proof. As with motoring offences they surely have to have some proof not only that you were there, but also of exactly when you were there.

nickc

Never been prosecuted, never been stopped. In fact the last time I encountered grumpy walkers, I was on a BW. TBH so few actually know the rules, they’re more likely to assume you have a right to be there

bruneep

I had to look the word up in the diknotary

aracer
    Free Member

The other point of course is that it’s nothing to do with grumpy walkers unless they’re the landowner or the landowner’s agent. For all they know you could be riding on the FP with the landowner’s permission – which I certainly have done (since you’re allowed to bike race on FPs, some events I’ve done allow riding on them, but not on BWs!)

cinnamon_girl

Genuine question – if the CTC are representing mtb’ers, how are they doing this? Particularly in relation to rights of way on “natural” trails, as opposed to creating trail centres.

MrAgreeable

Some info here. But I think the answer is “not very much” – they seem to be leaving most of the off-road stuff to IMBA.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4562

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

some proof not only that you were there, but also of exactly when you were there.

all my photos are tagged with the time and date in the EXIF data…
    and had they asked I would have admitted the fact

aracer
    Free Member

all my photos are tagged with the time and date in the EXIF data…

I doubt that is anywhere near sufficient standard of proof for a court given exactly what that proves.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Lets have a mass trespass…or something?’ is closed to new replies.