Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Les Miserables
  • oldnpastit

I had no idea a cinema could get so dusty…

m0rk
    Free Member

I only want to see this because they filmed a part of it right outside my office for a week.

I’m not so keen as to pay money to do so though!

johnners
    Free Member

Northwind

Hugh Jackman has an unexpectedly excellent voice, doesn’t he?

njee20
    Free Member

I need to go and see it, as my second cousin’s in it.

He’s some bloke called Jean Valjean, imagine he’s basically an extra. 🙂

CountZero

Hugh Jackman has an unexpectedly excellent voice, doesn’t he?

Not if you know his stage history, he’s done a fair bit of stage and show work that requires a good singing voice:

Early work
    On the night of his final Academy graduation performance, Jackman received a phone call offering him a role on Correlli: “I was technically unemployed for thirteen seconds.” Correlli, devised by Australian actress Denise Roberts, was a 10-part drama series on ABC, Jackman’s first major professional job, and where he met his future wife Deborra-Lee Furness: “Meeting my wife was the greatest thing to come out of it.”[11] The show lasted only one season.
    After Correlli Jackman went on the stage in Melbourne. In 1996, Jackman played Gaston in the local Walt Disney production of Beauty and the Beast, and Joe Gillis in Sunset Boulevard.[7] During his stage musical career in Melbourne, he starred in the 1998 Midsumma festival cabaret production Summa Cabaret. He also hosted Melbourne’s Carols by Candlelight and Sydney’s Carols in the Domain.
    Jackman’s early film work includes Erskineville Kings and Paperback Hero (1999), and his television work includes Law of the Land, Halifax f.p., Blue Heelers, and Banjo Paterson’s The Man from Snowy River.
    Oklahoma!
    Jackman became known outside of Australia in 1998, when he played the leading role of Curly in the Royal National Theatre’s acclaimed stage production of Oklahoma!, in London’s West End.[7] The performance earned him an Olivier Award nomination for Best Actor in a Musical. Jackman said “I totally felt like it can’t get any better than this. On some level that production will be one of the highlights of my career.”[11] He also starred in the 1999 film version of the same stage musical, which has been screened in many countries.

hounslow
    Free Member

Watched it today, would be better if it had breaks in the singing, or no singing at all. I know it’s a musical but it made it much more difficult to follow. It was also far too long, and Anne Hathaway best supporting actress for 5ish minutes of screentime? no thanks.

Northwind

CountZero – Member

Not if you know his stage history

I think it’s fair to say more people know him for his epic sideburns tbh.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I thought Les Miserable used to open the batting for Pudsey St. Lawrence in the 1960’s.

Never knowingly played an attacking shot until after tea. On day 3.

Died of a heart attack when he accidentally smiled after edging a four through third man.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

716034995 by Johnclimber, on Flickr

bigG
    Free Member

Never seen the stage show so had no preconceptions of this. I thought it was great. Wife has seen the stage show twice, and loved the movie

MrOvershoot

John stop putting pictures up of yourself when you don’t meet sales targets 😉

emma82
    Free Member

awww I loved it! Ive never seen a musical before and I’d now love to see it on stage. I just want to sing everything now. Husband is not so enthusiastic about the singing 🙁

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m not metrosexual enough to enjoy Le Miserables, but you fellas carry on tickling your colons and shedding those tears at a musical 😯

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I really really don’t get Andrew Lloyd Webber’s material. I just find it complete pap compared with ‘proper’ musicals of the 40s, 50s and 60s and totally without merit.

However, I do recognise I am in a complete minority on this. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I really really don’t get Andrew Lloyd Webber’s material. I just find it complete pap compared with ‘proper’ musicals of the 40s, 50s and 60s and totally without merit.

However, I do recognise I am in a complete minority on this.

Les Miserables is not an ALW musical. Nothing to do with him.

wallop

Eddie Redmayne is well fit though.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Ah – beg his, and its pardon then. Maybe I’ll go and see it after all then!

hammerite
    Free Member

Quite liked it, bit too long and got a bit bored in places. Going to watch it at the theatre you see everything going on on stage, when you have one person singing on screen it’s just a few mins close up of someone’s face while they sing.

Jnr and the OH loved it but they’d not seen it on stage.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Les Miserables’ is closed to new replies.