Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Leg Fracture Recovery – Turbo Trainer V Exercise Bike
  • GhostRider
    Free Member

Apologies for the trawl but i need to tap into the STW knowledge base.

I'm 3months in to recovery from a fractured tibia, still on cruches and just started physio. My knee movement is just past 90degrees and leg is 80% weight bearing so almost ready to hop back on a bike but physio advises a static bike.

Looking at cost of turbos and excersise bikes there dosen't seem much in it, for basic models excerise bikes round about £60 turbos round about £90. Only advantage i see with excersise bike is that it can sit in the living room in front of the telly BUT will probably be boring, crap and feel not like a bike. A turbo would have to stay in the garage, which is almost outdoor conditions and of course i'd be sitting on a real bike.

I know a road bike will fit on a turbo but can you put a mountain bike on it ? are turbos quite steady or is there potential for tipping over ? any suggestions for a decent turbo ? all i need is something that will get my legs moving again don't need anything to fancy.

al_f
    Free Member

I'd say turbo. an exercise bike will likely have a "sit up and beg" riding position and an uncomfortable saddle like a sofa, plus most of them have fairly coarse adjustment on the seat height so you'll probably not be able to get that just right either. If you use a turbo it'll be your bike,no adjustment required and assuming your bike fits right less chance of knee pain etc.

You can easily put a MTB on a turbo if you put a slick tyre on the back. They are quite steady in use, I suppose you could upend one if you really tried but in normal use I'd say it's very unlikely! My one suggestion re: type would be to go for a magnetic or fluid resistance one, all the fan resistance ones I've heard sound like a small jet taking off once you get going.

p.s. being outside will be an advantage, you'll get very hot once you start using it more intensely!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Leg Fracture Recovery – Turbo Trainer V Exercise Bike’ is closed to new replies.