Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Leeds folks – Somewhere to eat pre-beer in Headingley/Hyde Park area?
  • chr15
    Free Member

Any suggestions for an interesting eatery around here before a gig at the Brudenell?

Ideally something reasonably priced and a bit ‘different’ but mainly just looking for something tasty to soak up some beers and thought I’d consult the ‘massive’ rather than my usual endless wandering round comparing menus!

Thanks,

Chris.

johndoh
    Free Member

Arc and Box are both good (owned by the same group) of for *FANTASTIC* Thai food, there is a tiny cafe almost opposite the old Stif shop too.

peterfile
    Free Member

Arc and Box are both good

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 😉

Head to Arcadia, right across from the old Stif shop, for some proper beer and fewer students in flip flops and rugby shirts with popped collars.

Dare bar does decent (if a little rustic) food. Not a huge amount of choice for good food in that area.

grum
    Free Member

It’s been a long while since I lived there so pointless me recommending anywhere, but I do remember Arc being a favourite haunt of people with 3 haircuts, even back then. I dread to think what it’s like now. 🙂

chr15
    Free Member

Those seem like some good tips, thanks…

The Arc and Box menus read better than the places themselves come across on their websites, but I’ll go have a look in the flesh…

Am torn between decent Thai, huge pizza and the allure of a decent pint to wash it all down… As they’re all close I’ll have a wander past and go with what gets the juices flowing on the night.

Cheers!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yep Arc for a decent burger and chips. Sukhothai for errr decent Thai. Salvos on the same row for decent Italian. Arcadia for a decent beverage.

Although to be honest Brudenell is a great place for a drink. Decent draft and bottle selection. Cheap too. Last time I went in they had Brewdog Dead Pony Club on draught.

chr15
    Free Member

Thanks for mentioning the Brewdog KOB, it inspired a visit to their website whereby I enjoyed immensely watching them smash the bejeesus out of some horrid beer with bowling balls and golf clubs (On the hardcore IPA page).

I’m looking forward to getting to check out the Brudenell…

johndoh
    Free Member

I meant Jino’s Thai Cafe, not the fancy-dan one. Last time I went (admittedly a while ago when I used to work near there) it was superb.

Brod do great take-outs too.

And Arcadia is great for beer, but not for pre-beer food.

johndoh
    Free Member

And yes, Salvo’s is a great Italian.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’ll second Jino’s Thai Cafe. Cheap but very good Thai food. Take your own beer 🙂

For a decent burger stick with Arc or Box. The food in any of the larger pubs is distinctly average (Oak, Taps, Skyrack).

Philby

How about Bretts Fish and Chip shop on North Lane?

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Dough Bistro on Spen Lane is bloody lovely and always used to be BYO.

meehaja
    Free Member

Jino’s thai, Bretts Fish and Chips, Dare cafe for mexican type stuff, further up at hyde park corner is the LS6 place (used to be clock cafe?) Thats quite nice.

You’ve also got KFC, Pizza express, Arc, Box, Trio and various other places to spend your money.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Caliente cafe? If it’s still open, not been in years.

chr15
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, many of which were tempting, but we succamb (sp?) to the somewhat slutty charms of arc’s burgers, hotdogs and pizzas. Really quite decent for what is – I’ve paid more for worse the past anyway! The aroma from Brett’s has definitely put it on the short list for next time though…

I’m entirely smitten with the Brudenell, quality lagers and Magic rock ales for under £3 a pint, nice atmosphere, good sound, quality bands… (good range of spirits at reasonable prices, *hic*!) What’s not to like? Will definitely be back…

Cheers again,

Chris.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Defo head to Arcadia. More grown up crowd and not full of students and people in fancy dress.
    They also have a great selection of beers and ale.

good shout for the Brudnell Social Club. Its got a great selection of booze and its dirt cheap.

Food wise Jino’s is nice and cheap while being good thai food.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

What did I tell thee 🙂 Glad you enjoyed it. It reminds me of the working mens clubs back home but with more of an ecelectic mix of occupants.

ComradeD
    Free Member

I used to work in the Brudnell when i was a student. Funny place and like you say a right mixed bunch of people from students to locals.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Leeds folks – Somewhere to eat pre-beer in Headingley/Hyde Park area?’ is closed to new replies.