Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Leaking Forks
  • HairyHarry
    Free Member

Hi

I have a pair of 2006 Fox Vanilla RLC 130mm forks which have developed a small oil leakage on the dampner leg at the stanction seal.

When I return from a ride the seal on that leg has fork oil all around, which also attracts the dust and dirt.

I’m thinking its time to send off to Mojo or is this something simple I could fix myself and save the £90 service cost?

Any idea what the problem could be?

cheers

glenh
    Free Member

Knackered wiper seal?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Damper 😀 Unless you’re refering to it making things wet!

First thing I’d do is strip down the fork and check what the problem was, its likely to be a worn/damaged seal and/or dirt in the seals causing the leak.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Wiper seal kit – £15
    Fork Oil – £10
    Being confident that you’ve put your forks back together correctly – Priceless

Pook

I did mine for the first time ever t’other day. Not too hard a job really, and it only cost me £40 for the parts. You can get all the guides online.

HairyHarry
    Free Member

I think a trip to my LBS for a quick check before going to Mojo would be wise, many thanks.

Pook

I did mine for the first time ever t’other day. Not too hard a job really, and it only cost me £40 for the parts. You can get all the guides online.

bomberman
    Free Member

I’ve just had the exact same problem and it was the seals which i’ve now replaced and no leaks whatsoever. All you need is as said above a seal kit from mojo, some PJ1 10w fork oil (or any other high quality motorcycle fork oil) and a 10mm socket to undo the bottom nuts on your fork.

If you’re just changing the seals you won’t even need to buy new fork oil but while youre there it might be worth doing it anyway.

1 – find out how much oil you’ll need in the damper side leg
    2 – remove the fork from the bike and secure it upside down
    3 – unscrew the bottom buts
    4 – remove the lowers
    5 – tip the fork the right way around over a pan to collect the oil. pump the damper to release the oil stored in it.
    6 – use an open ended spanner to lever out the old seals
    7 – fit the new seals
    8 – pour new oil into damper side leg
    9 – slide lowers back on over stanchions taking care not to mess up your new seals
    10- screw the 10mm bottom nuts back on

That’s a rough guide but basically all you need to do. MOJO website (mojomedia>seal maintenance) gives a detailed step by step video. They’re not changing the oil so they leave the fork on the bike and just turn the bike upside down, but if you want to change the oil you’ll need to turn the fork upside down to tip it out.

Good luck! 🙂

HairyHarry
    Free Member

Bomberman, that is a fantastic guide, many thanks. May have a crack at that over the weekend, seems straightforward enough.

My LBS changed the seals four months ago, so have phoned them, but will make my own diagnosis in the meantime.

Top stuff cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Leaking Forks’ is closed to new replies.