Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Le Tour Grand Depart Yorkshire
  • trout
    Free Member

Where will you go to watch a bit of unique history in the making next year

Edric64
    Free Member

France in the sun !!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just down the road from my house 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Both I and my parents live on the tour route (well, 300 yards away) so will be watching them at both.

(Beds and car parking available to STW’ers at cost 😉 )

dirtyrider
    Free Member

is you mum a cougar?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Name down to be a “Tour Maker”…

lasty
    Free Member

Mum lives in Otley – bed booked … 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Day 1, wharfedale somewhere

Day 2, mate’s house, cragg vale.

Houns

I was going to, then due to certain thing I’ve lost all interest, especially due to where it’s going to be.. Luckily the B&B where I had booked way back when refunded me as they’re selling up. I shall be avoiding it by riding my MtB on some quiet trails

crikey
    Free Member

That’s a bit cryptic Houns?

I’ll be riding out to somewhere not on the main climbs, which will be absolutely rammed. I used to go and watch the Leeds Classic when it went up Holme Moss in the old black and white days…

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Me and MrsB also down as ‘Tour makers’

tinribz
    Free Member

Picked my parking spot above Feetham, between Gunnerside and Reeth. Might take the bike and cycle to a suitable vantage point. Preferably one with a beer garden at the roadside. The mankini is on order.

mt
    Free Member

Dales bike centre.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t see the point at the Dales Bike centre, they will be past there in the blink of an eye, try the hill just up the road to Leyburn and you might stand a chance of seeing one of them.

Trout can’t you just walk down the road?

Kryton57

@toxicsoks – you not riding with gods own railway conductors ride then?

C’mon, some good riding then a wine garden party after.

Gribs

I was planning on being near the top of the Addingham bypass on the Saturday. On Sunday I’ll either stay local and go to the Silden roundabout or head over the hill to Haworth. I’ve already got a full house with friends coming to visit so it may depend on where I can get them to.

Blackstone edge would be nice on the Sunday but I dread to think how busy it will be.

djglover
    Free Member

Guessing that the area will be lockdown I’ll wonder down to the main road in ilkley, then watch the rest in the pub

Unless I can borrow a camper van and park it at the top of the butter tubs or coming out of grinton?

RustySpanner

Blackstone edge would be nice on the Sunday but I dread to think how busy it will be.

Don’t think it’ll be that busy, they’re going left at the res. 🙂

Was thinking Cragg Vale, but God know’s what time we’ll have to get there – might ride over from Lumbutts and see if we can find a nice spot on the moor to watch from and have a picnic.

Alternatively might get up on the moor opposite Haworth Old Road and see what it’s like up there.

scuttler

Wharfedale and poss Harrogate Saturday.
    Sunday up the valley on the Col du Moss.

trout
    Free Member

Can’t see the point at the Dales Bike centre, they will be past there in the blink of an eye, try the hill just up the road to Leyburn and you might stand a chance of seeing one of them.

Trout can’t you just walk down the road?

Yes Funky Dunc spare bedrooms been booked by the bro in law and family
    Sat will ride over to Draughton
    and Sunday would like to see them at the bottom of the Col de Cringles streaming through Silsden

terrahawk
    Free Member

top of Blackstone Edge. the bit that’s in Lancashire.

meehaja
    Free Member

depart in Leeds, then riding over to harrogate to see the finish… next day riding out past bradford to see it come past somewhere bleak!

mt
    Free Member

That will be he hill (Cogden) that I live next to, however I’ll not have 15m wide screen that Stu is having at the Dales Bike Centre.

martinhutch

Above Buckden first day, col de cringles next day.

Access to Buckden will be problematic, I reckon, debating whether an overnighter will be required.

mos

My parents and a friend both live at cragg vale, so i’ll be watching there. Although i reckon sat on the water catchemnt on the opposite side of the valley above Cragg will be good as its pretty open.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

God knows where people are going to stand on the Threshfield – kettlewell -Buckden – Askrigg sections, the road is barely 2 cars width most of the way up, it’s going to be mayhem.

allthegear
    Free Member

Presumably, there’s going to be a lot of work for the dry stone walling peeps afterwards…

Rachel

martinhutch

I agree that the Kettlewell – Starbotton – Buckden flat bit is very narrow, but before Kettlewell, and after Buckden, the road is wider, and there are decent verges in most spots.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the slog out the back of holmfirth, my car struggled up there and its very windy normally,..should be a bit of pain on faces

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

, but before Kettlewell and after Buckden, the road is wider, and there are decent verges in most spots.

Eh? Kilnsey to Kettlewell is really narrow and twisty for a couple of miles as is threshfield to that spa place.
    I was thinking the worst bit of all is Kidstones, beyond Buckden, Cray and Kidstones Bank, I’ve lost a few wing mirrors there.
    Most of the road up has hardly no verges and most of it is walled as Rachel says.
    Anyway, I dare say the really tight spots will be restricted and they’ll open up lots of fields for people to park. the farmers will coin it in charging for parking in their fields.

Cray to the Causeway will be a good spot, altho I dare say it’s nowt compared to an alpine climb, so they’ll whizz up it, it’s still really narrow on that tight switchback tho.

martinhutch

There are still some nice spots for spectators, unlike Kettlewell to Buckden where it’s 1.5 car width, and you have the odd field gate and nowt else. The road is slightly wider most of the way too – the climb out of Buckden is decent width too with banked verges on one side at various points.

I think the descent onwards from there is narrower, don’t drive over that way much.

Plus there will be fewer people on the flatter bits of Wharfedale – blink and you’ll miss it territory.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Toxic Socks we are having some kinda tour party on the Sunday after they’ve gone past, dont. Double book 🙂
    Saturday will be a ride somewhere to see them, as they pass twice within about a mile it could be any wheres in the Dales Kryton is poppiung up.

edlong
    Free Member

Signed up as a “Tour Maker” but I’m having second thoughts now after hearing some of the “games maker” stories from the Olympics – i.e. people who didn’t get anywhere near anything remotely Olympic. It’d be just my luck that when the TdF comes to town, I’ll be the mug in a free polo shirt pointing helping people access the portaloos on the Headrow or something like that, and not see a single pedal being turned.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Ah but edlong you could strike gold… my sister was a games maker and certainly struck it. Was driving a BMW for the duration shipping VIP’s about – including Pat McQuaid and Dave Brailsford. She also had a pass for all parts, she sat just behind the royal box in the velodrome for Chris Hoys gold ride. She rates it as one of the best times of her life.

Lot’s more chance of being a big foam finger pointer though I suppose….

Here’s hoping 😛

shifter
    Free Member

Somewhere near Langsett for me. Suspect the route north to there will be busy that morning!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour Grand Depart Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.