Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Le Mans
  • daviek

Anyone lucky enough to be going? First qualifying session on at the minute but im working the weekend so will only catch a few hours on saturday night.

Dont know what it is but id rather watch Le Mans than the whole F1 season these days.

jimdubleyou

Haven’t been for a few years. Any idea if it’s in free-to-air tv?

Love the glowing disks in the night time. And the noise of the GT cars now the LMPs are all weird sounding 🙂

tenfoot

Haven’t been for a few years. Might make it back one day, but as I get older, I feel less inclined to sleep in a tent.

Watching the first qualifying session at the moment. Lots of action at the moment, especially when you consider there are 2 more sessions tomorrow.

sobriety
    Free Member

Not free to air, but it does look to be on eurosport

tenfoot

Quest show some of it too if you have Sky or (presumably) Virgin

daviek

Might be able to stream it on motorsport.tv?

Twodogs

Quest are showing some …the start plus several hours..Freeview Channel 12

Marge
    Free Member

I watched the qualifying last night on Eurosport – as usual excellent coverage with some superb insights from the presentation team including ex-drivers

LMP1 might be interesting but only time will tell..
    Toyota give the impression (if it’s real) that they aren’t 100% in control just yet

The big topic across all classes was (potential) sandbagging and trying to avoid any BOP changes when they are reviewed tomorrow… makes it a bit false perhaps but still it’s a great spectacle and I very much hope for a great GT fight once more

bikebouy
    Free Member

Love this event.

Shall be glued to Eurosport just like every other year.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Rainy weekend here = lots of Eurosport LM coverage for me.
    Fantastic event.
    Just amazing what those cars can do.
    Went to the classic LM last year with 11 mates and it was an epic trip.
    Off again next year 🙂 as I think the ‘modern’ race just gets too packed and busy for us now.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Used to go with my old man regularly, loved it! Am planning to cycle next year and spread his ashes on the Mulsanne Straight…. before the action starts!
    Looking forward to it. Sadly I’ve never got over Group C. F1 leaves me cold when I consider what an awesome spectacle Group C was.

daviek

The Toyota cars can manage an extra lap before needing to refuel so if theres no mechanicals they shouldn’t have much trouble from the non hybrids but as we’ve seen in previous years it might happen.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Only 2 hybrids?? Eh?

No Porsche nor Audi in LMP1?? Eh?

Are they..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Such a shame, the Porsche was awesome – I still struggle with the fact that it’s powered by a 4 cylinder 2L petrol hybrid!

simondbarnes

Got here yesterday evening. The wine is going down nicely 🙂

simondbarnes

No Porsche nor Audi in LMP1?? Eh?

Porsche haven’t been here since 2017, Audi since 2016. They’ve both moved to e-racing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, I know..

Which essentially means they’re ..

simondbarnes

No idea how you came to that conclusion given their track record. If anything Toyota are chickens for only agreeing to rules that don’t allow the other lmp1 teams to compete with them at all.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Obviously 🙄 obvz is obvz.

Pulled out because they are chicken 🤷‍♂️

I’ll be supporting the 911’s as per usual, last years Pink Pig was a coo for the race and media interest. Winning it was a bonus.

bombjack
    Free Member

Looking forward to the race, also looking forward to the announcement on Friday which should give some info on the structure for 20/21 onwards.
    Its not Toyotas race yet – They only have 2 bullets in their gun, and as the shunt with the Dragonspeed showed last night there are over 50 other cars they’ve got to get around.
    Loved the way in which you could almost see the sand bags being dropped by the Ford GT as it set its LMGTE pro time last night 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Loved the way in which you could almost see the sand bags being dropped by the Ford GT as it set its LMGTE pro time last night

Can’t blame them after last year….
    BOP really messes with the GTE class more than anything. It made for a brilliant battle last year but can’t be good for the sport for the best car to be artificially limited.

tenfoot

Looks like BOP may have affected the Aston Martin this year, or they didn’t get their race set up right.

Eurosport coverage is frustrating this year. Lots of ad breaks and they keep repeating a mini documentary on Jackie Chan DC racing, for some reason.

Klunk
    Free Member

Lots of ad breaks

real ads or “5 best round the net shots” or “5 best Crowd dances” ?

daviek

I see they are calling Alonso either Grumpy Alonso or grumpy face 🙂

Only managed to see the last couple of hours and ill get to watch a couple more before bed buts what ive seen has been pretty good

leegee

I’m really enjoying this one, the GT Pro battle is great.

My mate goes every year, I’m going again next year and then doing a road trip/bike park tour.

daviek

As for the eurosport coverage i tried to put radio le mans through my phone and eurosport on the TV but works wifi is that bad it cant even cope with that.
    Oh im off shift so allowed 🙂

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I was planning to go again this year but due to the solicitors taking their time our house move is this week so there was no way I could make it over there.

I watched the start earlier and have just started watching on Quest, was thinking there was a lot of cars left then there was an accident. I reckon there will be a few more before the sun comes up!

tenfoot

Good call with quest. It’s in HD on Sky whilst Eurosport 1 isn’t. Same commentary too

athgray
    Free Member

I have not followed motor sport for around 20 years, however having a car daft 10 year old boy, I have started to watch more this year.

I have never watched Le Mans before, but now sat watching Eurosport with the sound down, liquid drum and bass through the headphones and a nice whisky.

Seeing these cars on a track at 200mph+ at night with the glare of head lights and ferris wheels is strangely captivating, and I have every admiration for the drivers.

The top cars seem glued to the track and it looks terrifying when you see the onboard cameras!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Good call with quest

It was good until they finished the program 10 mins earlier than advertised and put on a program about how hockey pucks are made🤬

Time for a couple hours sleep.

fossy

My son is there with two friends – camping, but took everything on the Eurostar (he decided on a solar charger in the end rather than the genny).

They have been there since Wednesday, and weather has been good. Loads of fantastic photos.

The amount of camping and camera gear he took was crazy, but they got it there.

dienamic

Gutted for the 7 car if it stays like this

peteimpreza

What happened to car 7?

Been in a taxi to Heathrow and missed the last two hours

dienamic

Faulty sensor reported 2 punctures and limited it’s speed, needed a pitstop and laptop to reset it 😔. Wouldn’t have minded if Alonso wasn’t in 8!

DM52
    Free Member

Commentary suggested that Michelin has confirmed that there was punctures both times around. Heartbreaking for Car 7 who was comfortably fastest all weekend.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Once again I watched a fair bit (i.e. everything apart from 1am-8am). It really is an incredible event and such a feat by everyone involved.

I’m still not sure what happened to the 92 Porsche overnight but it’s a shame as the GTE Pro battle was immense!

Also feel for the #7 Toyota – certainly a moral victory there…. shame Alonso was in the 8 car but at least he didn’t do the final stint.

Looking forward to going back the Classic again next year.

tenfoot

Yeah Le Mans is great. I love the fact that the racing is close in the lower groups but it’s definitely missing something at the sharp end, especially with Toyota possibly playing silly buggers at the end.

Hopefully the hypercars will attract plenty of manufacturers and make the fight for the overall winner more exciting.

fossy

Son got to walk the track back to Becausejour camp – now chilling, before the final camp pack up and head home in the morning. They bought a crate of 40 beers for 12 euros – apparently they weren’t good (no surprise) 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Enjoyed the coverage, and mostly watched/kept an eye on the Porsche Team (as I always do)

The commentary at times was really funny.. it must be really hard to come out with anything witty over 24hrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Le Mans’ is closed to new replies.