Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Last numpty brake pad question, hopefully.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Fitted a set of Superstar pads (dirty word! burn him!) to my Juicy Sevens on Saturday. Today, after a fair bit of riding, I go to pull the back brake on and the lever hits the handle – Aaaargh! No brakes!!

Stopped to have a look – only one pad in the housing. Retraced my path, but no sign of the other pad.

Have I cocked up fitting it? It seemed to be OK. Looking at the front set just now, I notice one of the wee 'handles' on one of the pads looks further forward than the other…

I know it's not rocket science and I'm getting seriously frustrated now – had to buy a set of Clarks Organic pads at Halfrauds for going away tomorrow and now I've fitted them, I've no faith that they're not going to just drop out at the edge of a cliff!!

retro83
    Free Member

Oh dear. Had the entire pad gone?

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup! No idea where it went either.

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that the only thing holding the pads in their housing is the pressure of the little spring pushing outwards onto the pads?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yep, although the stainless springy thing at the top does some of it.. You have to make sure they're fully home. It's very easy to put them together with the spring arms slipping round to the back of the pad too.

Ram it home, as the actress said to the bishop…

user-removed
    Free Member

I'm thinking I'll take my old fully rigid Hahanna with me instead – canti brakes and all!

There just doesn't seem to be a positive *CLICK* or a point where they feel right. I'm pretty sure both sets are now in as far as they'll go. I'm assembling the spring round the pads fist, as it seems to be the only possible way to do it, and then slotting the whole lot in – is this the right way to go about it?

I googled juicy 7s, pads, install, and watched a questionable video which seemed to be saying to put the pads and spring in seperately?!

jimr80
    Free Member

i have these same brakes . when you install the pads they need to be pushed in quite firmly untill you hear them 'click' into place. i have been known to use the flat blade of a screw driver to get enough press so the pads seat properlly. i never had a problem with pads falling out.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers jim – I'll go give them a beasting – prepare for new thread – I think I've knackered my Juicy Sevens….

EDIT: Aaaaaah! Well, whaddya know! Gave them a good shove with a screwdriver and was rewarded with a nice, positive CLICK!! Cheers heaps for the tip!!

coatesy
    Free Member

You'll find the metal clip doesn't actually hold the pads in unless the wheel is removed, what does hold them in is a peg in the centre of the pistons, it's quite easily damaged and I suspect yours is broken or missing completely.Do not ride with a damaged one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Last numpty brake pad question, hopefully.’ is closed to new replies.