Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Last day of work tomorrow …. been made redundant ….
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

After 12 years of helping to make the famous black cab , im out of work from tomorrow 😥
    all my monies will be paid into my bank tonite , so do i take the piss and go in late and then leave very early .. or just not go in ??
    im really not sure what to do now ?? …. look for another job straight away in another crappy factory , or spend some of my redundancy money on a nice hoiliday for me and the family and then look for a job ?? .. i just dont know ?? …
    havent been out of work in the last 19 years , so not done too bad …
    Have no idea what to do with the dole people either , so friday will be fun finding out
    What are peoples thoughts ?

Cheers

MSP

Phone the dole now, you have too book your place for an interview, and they only pay your entitlements from when you contact them.
    Then go on holiday.

neilb67
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this Tony. Personally I would just go in as normal and do your normal days stuff. Ive always thought never burn your bridges. You never know if or when they will be taking on again, thats if you want to go back. As for what to do next, I would get hunting straight away and dont be to hasty with spending your redundancy as you dont know how long you will be out of work.

Hope you get sorted soon mate.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

neilb67 – Member
    Sorry to hear this Tony. Personally I would just go in as normal and do your normal days stuff. Ive always thought never burn your bridges. You never know if or when they will be taking on again, thats if you want to go back. As for what to do next, I would get hunting straight away and dont be to hasty with spending your redundancy as you dont know how long you will be out of work.

Hope you get sorted soon mate.

Cheers for the comments …. dont think they will be taking on again as all the work is going to china … from next week the cab will be over 90 % chinese and a bag of crap …
    Have spent most of the day loading press tools onto lorries to go out !!
    By the end of july the work force will of been halved , with just over 60 lads left on the shop floor …..
    Its a sad day when another british icon goes abroad !!

Cougar

What MSP said. Sign on ASAP, because it's money you've been paying for since you started work. Take the opportunity to have a break for a week or two if you can afford it.

mrmo
    Free Member

just for info, ring dole office make an appointment. But do not tell them you are going abroad on holiday. In my interview i was told that is was ok to go on holiday in the uk but not else where.

Flaperon

You cannot go abroad and keep claiming the dole. This presented an interesting issue when I had an interview for a job outside the UK.

spacemonkey

You cannot go abroad and keep claiming the dole. This presented an interesting issue when I had an interview for a job outside the UK.

Bit of a weird one this. IME job centres deal with the "lower" end of the ability spectrum (possibly less so these days?) … and I remember a girl I was living with (in 2006) having all sorts of grief with them because she'd been made redundant and the nature of her job (merchandising manager) meant looking abroad was typically more viable. Hence the interviews she had in Gibraltar and NZ didn't go down too well.

Hence, find out where you stand before disappearing …

Northwind

As for the last day- do what feelsright to you. For some people keeping their dignity and professionalism is more valuable than an afternoon off. Me, I like afternoons off.

Kevevs
    Free Member

if u don't want to go on benefit and want to be occupied and paid, the big supermarkets are forever expanding and taking on staff. you'd be ama2ed at the skills and education of some of the people working in somewhere like asda, let alone the social side of it. Better than being depressed on the dole at least, 'till the better opportunity comes along.

hels
    Free Member

I think after 19 years you are entitled to a nice holiday !!

I am sure the dole people have got way more to do than monitor the airports, and I believe you only have to sign on every two weeks and once a year are allowed to not come in (I know some professional doleys).

Go to work and spend all day eating cake, drinking coffee, looking for jobs on t'internet and going around making sure all the people you actually like have your email address.

And leave at 3pm for your Doctors Appmnt.

badnewz
    Free Member

Jump in the back of one of the lorries and start a new life in China.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Get a job in a bike shop/cafe and spend all your redundancy money on bike parts/cake both of which would be discounted so a sound investment.

But seriously get signed on and use this opportunity to move on to something that you really want to do, retrain or ideal job.

Sorry to hear about it but this could be the beginning of something better. Take the holiday after you have a job set up then you can really enjoy it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

they only pay your entitlements from when you contact them.

Not true! You can currently get 3 month's worth back paid, but Cameron said the other day that the government will reduce this to 1 month. The forms for this are unbelievable.

Signing on is a not fun! You have to go every two weeks to sign a bit of paper. I suppose it's to stop immigrants signing on, then going back to their home country. I haven't had any useful help or advice from these charmless people yet and they declined my application for jobseekers. They advised me incorrectly on which benefit to apply for, but either way I don't qualify. I have a partner earning etc.

You need to apply for "contributions based" job seekers allowance if you have been full time employed and have been paying class 1 national insurance contributions. (I was self-employed paying class 2 which won't qualify).

There are a raft of other benefits to which you may be entitled and the questions you answer when you call the jobseeker's line will determine what you might get.

My firm advice is: Find a job, any job, then think about holidays!

Sorry to hear your story! All too common these days – firms selling out on UK people in the pursuit of cheaper labour and lower costs elsewhere in the world.

I blame banks for lending too much and inflating prices here. I also blame governments for their incompetence in controlling the banks and big business! And for the ludicrous bureaucracy and taxes on UK businesses! I'm sure the welfare system and overbloated public sector is placing a big burden on the tax system. Shame so many people can't see the need to reduce this.

Big business began to manufacture in China a few decades ago, so we simply can't compete unless we have high import duties. As the world is a now a global village, we UK workers will have to find non-expendable occupations that cannot be exported to the third world!

Personally, I would go all out to find a job utilizing your skills and experience and not waste a moment.

Good luck!

Karinofnine

Sorry to hear, although as said above, quite often something like this galvanises one into finding something better. I hope that you find something better.

I have thought for many years that there should be an "environment tax" on goods; that is, a tax or levy applied per mile the product has travelled. This would encourage local production and consumption and make it economically unviable to do what your company is doing.

Car drivers always get a kicking over the environment but I think shipping produces more pollution, yet we never hear about that.

As the government will be paying benefits to all of you who are being laid off, plus losing VAT on the purchases you will not now be able to make, and potentially paying benefits to people who provided you with services (which you cannot now afford), and possibly deal with crime, depression and illnesses arising therefrom – wouldn't it be better for everyone if the government paid something to your company to stay here? Cheaper for the tax payer ultimately, better for the environment and better for the community.

Good luck at the dole office – I had the misfortune to be involved with benefits some years ago – a more dedicated bunch of box-ticking, form-filling, blinkered thinkers I have yet to meet!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Based on recent experience:

Sign on the dole ASAP.
    Look at your monthly budget and trim it beyond the bone to the marrow.
    Start looking for work NOW.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

sorry to hear that fella.

i dont think i will be far behind you and just had a baby aswell!

just go in your normal time, do your days work, say your goodbyes and leave with your head held high

best of luck!

timc
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate, Been there, horrible feeling!

Neilb67 talks a lot of sense

As for the Dole office, dont worry about going abroad, just remember to ring up & say you cant make it, funeral or somthing haha!

Enjoy your life, so have a holiday if you really want it!

best of luck!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven't read any of the above so I don't know if I'm repeating or helping!
    I wouldn't go on a holiday now, unless you know in 1 years time you could still be living off your redundancy, it's not worth the stresses it will cause later on. Get out and start job hunting, it's hard work and can be demoralising (as many on here can give you advice) but the sooner you start the better! Get your CV sorted out and look around. Definately sign on a job centre as whether they help you now or not they may well do in 6 months time if you're still out of work even if it is a pain in the ass.
    Don't take it personally either that you have been made redundant, you have many excellent skills that other companies are looking for.

Good luck buddy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Last day of work tomorrow …. been made redundant ….’ is closed to new replies.