Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laser Spirit Level – worth the investment? Any recommendations?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Now that I’m in the new old house I’ve got a long list of jobs that need doing. Starting with fitting a new kitchen, laying drains from the garage (a story in its own right!), raising door lintels, rebuilding chimney breast …….you get the picture.

My 1m spirit level is knackered so I’m gonna need a new one

Should I go for a laser level? Looking at £100 plus or minus. Are they worth it?

Any users on here?

Or do I get a long and short decent quality bubble level for less money?

dingabell
    Free Member

Stabila bubble levels are ace IMO.
    Saying that though, I’ve also got a Stabila laser level which has been invaluable for tiling etc.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use a DeWalt laser daily (£160), but in addition to my 3 Stabila Spirit levels rather than replacement. I wouldn’t tlie to it as I don’t think the beam is narrow enough to be accurate on tiling but do use it for set out, I use it a lot for kitchen fitting however.

If you do get one, make sure it self levels. A laser that you have to level manually overtime you move it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

properbikeco
    Free Member

laser levels are fantastic, I’ve got a 5 beam one which made internal renovations a cinch – very easy to get doorframes perfectly square and is ideal for larger civils jobs

wrightyson
    Free Member

Time and a place IMHO. A true bubble stick will never run out of battery at the key moment…

properbikeco
    Free Member

neither will a laser – it will dim with time and most run on 2 or 3 AA batteries which you are likely to have lying spare around the house

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Helped a friend re-do a floor using a Bosch ‘quigo’ recently – used it to mark out some shaped batons to sit on top of the joists to level a floor that was distinctly wonky.

Fantastic bit of kit. No idea how we would have done it without.

wrightyson
    Free Member

All my site ones are rechargeable so yes they do run out and have done at key moments. A good quality level is a must for most trades id say.

jamj1974

A good laser level is really helpful but a standard level is also essential.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Bugger! Looks like I need to buy a laser AND a new 1m bubble!

So any views on brand or type?

Thinking de Walt or Stanley as they seem readily available at my new best friends local builders yard.

They have cross or dot, and I think some line lasers.

I’m thinking something like a self levelling cross laser to do both vertical and horizontal for such as the kitchen.

I have a couple of decent camera tripods so can use one of those I guess.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Bosch Quigo. Was only £40 or so. Been great so far, very handy. Only issue is it’s not that bright outdoors in the sun. Fine at all other times.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laser Spirit Level – worth the investment? Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.