Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laptop.help needed by someone who has no interest in computers
  • turneround

My ageing sony is in need of replacement. Unfortunately, having no interest in computers isn’t helping my cause to find said replacement. Can anyone, who does know a little about current puters, suggest a good laptop for the home, we dont stream, or game, it’s just for work (emails, reports etc) and surfing. My budget is £600
    Cheers

kayak23

I had about that budget and went for a Dell Inspiron something or other.

It’s dead laptoppy and seems to work just fine.

Plus my girlfriend is called Adele so obviously I had to get a Dell.

Ymmv depending on what your partner is called.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have similarly little interest but still have to use them.
    FWIW my experience is Samsung and Advent last for ages and HP dont, currently looking to replace my HP with another of the former. That’s my criteria really.

stof41
    Free Member

Been using a Toshiba Satellite for the last 4 years, is still the fasted thing I’ve used compared to other laptops. Pretty sure you could pick up a 2nd hand one for decent money.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Chromebook.

chrisyork

Don’t get a chromebook…. you want an i3 or i5 intel processor or an AMD one, an SSD hard drive around 120GB or more and 8GB of ram

chrisdw
    Free Member

Don’t get a chromebook…. you want an i3 or i5 intel processor or an AMD one, an SSD hard drive around 120GB or more and 8GB of ram

Why no Chromebook? OP only wants a surfing, email , and word processing machine. Chromebook does all these with ease without needing all the stuff you mention.

Buying a Windows machine, yes, I’d agree with you. But the point of a Chromebook is that it runs light so doesn’t need those higher specs. Don’t go with the bargain basement Chromebook, as build quality and screen tech will suffer, as with any laptop. But they’re great for what they do if they will do what you require.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Chromebook

turneround

Cheers all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laptop.help needed by someone who has no interest in computers’ is closed to new replies.