Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lapierre opinions
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Seriously considering a Lapierre Spicy 514 has anyone got any experiences?

Basically looking for an do-it-all day epic bike which climbs like a monkey and descends like a demon. What are the options? Is there other models in the Lapierre range I should look at? Test centres etc etc

No problems then! 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

Our LBS had 5 Zestys in last week.
    He’s now sold all of them.

I reckon they must be pretty good.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Purple Mountain at Dalby have a test rig IIRC…

FuzzyWuzzy

I guess depends what you’re riding, I went for a Zesty in the end as I couldn’t really see where I’d need the extra 160mm (I don’t do DH or anything). That said if the Spicy climbs nearly as well as the Zesty then you’re not compromising much. Depends where you are regarding demo availability.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Based in Welshpool / Mid Wales – any ideas for test venues?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Did I say Spicy I meant Zesty!

IamSam
    Free Member

just bought one, Zesty 514, and am very happy with it so far. That said I’ve only done one ride, 20 mile, on it so haven’t really got to know it properly.

It does look beautiful though of that counts for anything.

RepacK
    Free Member

The Zesty & Spicy seem v popular but Im not sure about the x-control bikes..Most reviews seem to say that they are great for going down but the suspension doesnt have what it takes for climbing. I know yr not looking at the X bikes but it just makes me wary when I see a brand which is producing a bike in its range which isnt a performer..

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a 714 and love it. Climbing wise it’s very efficient with little bob even with the pro-pedal turned off and obviously it’s fairly light for a 140mm bike. Descending is very very good – the 15mm bolt through foxes feel as stiff as my 20mm Pikes and it generally feels light but composed.

It doesn’t “steamroller” through stuff in the same way as the Spicy though if that’s the effect your after…

And it does look awesome in the flesh!

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

I tried a Zesty 914 on the Bike Radar demo day in Glentress. Must say it was the best bike by far of the day. Couldn’t get the smile off my face.

Luckily for me they weren’t selling or the bank balance would have been £4k lighter.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Cheers guys excellent feedback

Steve what other ‘comparable’ bikes did you try?

FuzzyWuzzy

Regarding demo bikes, probably a bit far but Strada Cycles in Bristol have a medium 314 and large 514 for demo (as well as a Spicy). Think someone posted about a shop in South Wales that does Lapierre and has a demo to but can’t remember which.
    Bought a 314 myself and the only thing I’ve changed so far is the saddle and tyres. May swap a couple more bits as time goes on (could use a 400mm seat post for example and maybe 2010 Rev’s for maxle) but nothing screams out as a needing changing.

dasnut
    Free Member

crosstrax in leeds have a zesty 514 demo bike

pstokes99
    Free Member

Bought a 314 in August and love it – I also looked at Orange 5, Trek EX8, and Spesh Stumpy but non of them made me smile as much as the Lapierre.

Shock on 314 doesn’t have pro pedal, but I haven’t missed it and climbing is good (well as good as it can be). 514 and above now have the bolt thru fork which many may find appealing.

The demo bike in Crosstrax, I think, is a medium. Last year they had a large 914 which I test rode which was amazing – but although my budget meant I could only afford the 314 I have never yet thought what if…

stevemcnalls
    Free Member

Hey Tank – On the day I had

Yeti 575
    Lapierre Zesty 914
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Santa Cruz Hustler
    Pace – Can’t remeber which one

Lapierre just seemed to suit me perfectly

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Error

djflexure

Home

Think these guys do Lapierre demo days – quite close to you.

rewski
    Free Member

Zesty 514 – awesome bike

rewski
    Free Member

I also tried the Blur LT, it just didn’t make me smile like the Zesty, very fast up and downhill, my only gripe is the formula r1’s kept on losing the lever bolt.

Bregante

Hey Tank – On the day I had
    Yeti 575
    Lapierre Zesty 914
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Santa Cruz Hustler
    Pace – Can’t remeber which one
    Lapierre just seemed to suit me perfectly

I prefer the Cove Heckler 🙂

popstar
    Free Member

My Zesty 314 so far, served me really well. The only thing I’ve changed are tyres and wider bars. Trail centers in Wales n Scotland, a bit of DH and X4 ‘s been ridden on it and surprisingly reliability is all fine. Nothing broken etc, but suppose for that kind of riding I may need even wider bars and chain device.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Had my Zesty 314 for a year and a half now,you could get into arguments about whats better than it or worse but fact of the matter is if you are buying a bike at that price range nothing will be noticeably better than it, it looks awesome, climbs well and goes downhill better than anything else I’ve ridden. You won’t ever regret buying one.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Had my 2009 Spicy 316 now for over a year and I still love it, there’s not much left of the std spec but the bike rides like a dream.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre opinions’ is closed to new replies.