Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Landrover Discovery – any good for lugging bikes etc…
  • colwyn58
    Free Member

Assuming I have a need for both a 4×4 and something to lug bikes about does the Disco (prob a 3) do the trick?
    I know they are massive and have the MPG of a tank but are they as big on the inside as they look like they should be?

Can bikes fit in with wheels on (with seats down)?
    Is is long enough to sleep in?

Other potential option is a Tranny / Caravelle 4motion but seems can get a Disco for more sensible money.

Real world experience (and pics!) would be massively appreciated.

swamp_boy

D1 and 2 will get a bike in with the back seats down, I’ve had both, no experience of a D3 but it is bigger, so probably yes. You probably won’t be able to stretch out in the back, but not too cramped for sleeping, or in many of them the front seats go back almost horizontal. OK for occasional nights out, but not ideal for long trips unless you camp next to it, back is good for cooking / sheltering in.

Extremely versatile, very capable off road, but they are Land rovers with all that goes with it, see the previous threads on here. If you get one, especially one of the older ones, you’ll either hate it or it’ll end up like the old smelly incontinent family dog that you can’t bear to take to the vet.

thedon
    Free Member

Landrover Discovery – any good for lugging bikes

When they work, which isn’t often.

drlex
    Free Member

When they work, which isn’t often.

Harsh! I’ve had a D3 for 7+ years and the only problem has been a rodent nibbling a fuel elbow on the tank, leading to a little diesel spillage. {/anecdote}
    6′ load length with rows 2&3 folded flat – have slept well in the back a few times – air mattress or copious amounts of alcohol. Can just get a short bike upright, but plenty of space if you lie them flat. Lashing rings on the floor assist, and get 26mpg in mixed use, predominantly rural B roads, rather than motorway (32-4 on long trips). Better WAF (wife acceptance factor) than a T5, and tows like a champ (horse trailer / field roller / harrow).

mattbee

Disco 1 owner, bike in boot with both wheels off or flat in back with seats down fully built (5 Spot). I both love and hate it in equal measure. I’m a Landrover nut & have owned S3,90, RRC and this. Think a D3 is more like owning a ‘normal’ car than the earlier stuff which is far more idiosynchratic. I’m in the process of saving up to replace my Disco with a Vivaano/Trafic converted into a day van type thing as realistically having 4wd has been useful about 3 times in the last few years and if I hadn’t had it I could have had time off work!

mt
    Free Member

D3 and D4 are brilliant bike carriers. Had both driven thousands (UK and Europe)of miles in them and they work brilliantly. Get one you’ll love it especially when you get it off road when they change into awsome mode.

As you can see I like mine.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Had a disco 3 since 2006, bought it for this purpose,regularly carry 5 with bikes, 2 on the roof with a small step to aid mounting and then 3 on the back on a tow ball mounted rack.I dont hang around and have never reset the computer which shows an average of 26.1 mpg since new.Only fix since new fitted some ERG blanking valves myself , £50 and 2 hours work. I do get the annual Land Rover service (ouch) but so far its paid dividends for no nore bills or breakdowns. I find it a pleasure to drive and 300+ mile journey as not a problem. Dads had all sorts of cars and every time he borrows it says its the best car hes ever driven or travelled in.Never missed a weekend trip up the Lakes due to snow on roads , it will go just about anywhere.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

all the disco’s are great although some of the eariler d3 can be a money pit if they haven’t been looked after ans i would take someone with a hawkeye to plug in to see for suspension faults etc, personalty i would go for a late d2 as found them a nice ride and much better off road then the d3 had them up to the axles in mud and still ploughed through

rickmeister

Depending on the need for and actual use of 4wd, I’d go down the LWB T5 route. Bikes and people in, secure, sleeping with kit in the van, can use MS carparks…

But, at teh end its what you want to buy in to.

colwyn58
    Free Member

Thanks all – most useful, T5 4motion is also a contender but as stated are much rarer and seem go for a big premium if can find one…

mos

I’ve had a Vito & a brand new T5 plus driven some miles in my dads pimped out T5 LWB. For the last 3 yrs i’ve been running a D3 & i love it, the only thing i woiuld probably change it for is a D4 but they are too pricey. A van would be a more practical option but no matter what you say, 400 mile solo round trips are nicer in the D3 than a van.
    With the seats down they are pretty big in then back, although i ride a 21″ bike & it’s squeeze to stand it up by just removing the front wheel. I did manage to get a 1200mm x 1900mm bath in the back once.
    And if you drive steadily & don’t rag it (unlike me) you should get 40K miles out of a set of scorpoion ATR’s.

rickmeister

Colwyn T5 4motion do come up on ebay every now and a gain… 5 on at the moment.. depends on your budget of course.

Radioman

Have had 3 discos in a row all from new so i must like them! They are I think the only 4×4 that has enough height in the back for bikes. I can easily transport 3 bikes in the back and wheels with NO seats folded. You put them in upside down and remove wheels. The back of the disco is so high its fine too with DH forks and long travel RS Totems! A great car. They are great for long journeys and are huge transcontinental mile eaters. I”m soon to be driving mine to Argentiere 🙂

colwyn58
    Free Member

Thanks – I keep an eye on the bay but ideally want a 4motion with tailgate, SWB etc… so very rarely come up – most seem to be LWB with barn doors.

On the flip side at any point there are millions of D3’s…!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Landrover Discovery – any good for lugging bikes etc…’ is closed to new replies.