Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 211 total)
  • Lakes nuclear dump?
  • vim_fuego
    Free Member

Newsflash
    Jameaters want the dump, welcome to it, t’moor would be ideal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol best argument I heard was Whitehaven and Workinton arguing over who were jameaters and if it was an insult.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ennerdale has significantly less agricultural clutter.

I recall Wainwright baleful tones about the industrialisation of Ennerdale when the Forestry Commission completely filled it with larch and spruce.

If you’ve ever stood on any of the Western summits you’ll clearly see the massive Sellafield complex, including the towers of forever-toxic Windscale bomb-material-building piles.

The footprint and purpose of this facility is quite benign by comparison.

somafunk

Perhaps we could use the money to teach you what a full stop is?

Perhaps we could use some of that money to give you a personality transplant?. Ka-ching! 🙂

I used comma’s, prob should have split it down into a more coherent rant using full stops but it was late and i was tired, i’ll try much harder next time.

Anyway, just heard on R4 World at One that the council have turned it down.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has no one pointed out the obvious benifit to us?

Under trail heating 😀

Northwind

somafunk – Member

I used comma’s

Commas. You’re welcome. 😉

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Anyway, just heard on R4 World at One that the council have turned it down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21253673

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“The problems of nuclear waste and where to put it is a UK problem and should not be pushed onto the people of Cumbria.”

The definition of Nimby-ism?

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Thank the Lord for that 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Hmmm in my experience a council rejection doesn’t normally mean much as they can be bypassed

BermBandit
    Free Member

Not sure what you’re getting at there Graham.

Simple: Its not the location of the dump that matters, its the fact we are creating the waste in the first instance. So specifically with electricity generation, the incredibly laissez faire attitude that we have to the consumption of energy and the reckless creation of inherantly dangerous and unstable systems to feed the relentless demand for it is the problem.

So port of call one = use less

Unfortunately, an out of sight hole in the ground thats not in most peoples back yard is a more politically acceptable solution than the reality and/or a sensible long term strategy.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Simple: Its not the location of the dump that matters, its the fact we are creating the waste in the first instance.

But we’ve already created it – stopping using electricity tomorrow wouldn’t solve the need for somewhere to keep this stuff.

vim_fuego
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unfortunately, an out of sight hole in the ground thats not in most peoples back yard is a more politically acceptable solution than the reality and/or a sensible long term strategy.

So telling everyone to use less would work how? What sort of incentive would you offer? And how would you ensure that future generations, or perhapse more difficultly, the next parliment cary on implimenting something that’s going to be pretty unpopular, seeing as the only one I can think of is a huge rise in the price, which would require re-nationalisation of the whole system.

Alternatively dig a hole in the ground and the problems solved, especialy as others have already pointed out, this is mostly historical waste and modern reactors use far more of the fuel. Even if we didn’t build any more nuclear power stations we’d still need to find somewhere for the waste.

martinhutch

Even the government saying it’s over doesn’t mean it is. These massively long-term projects have a habit of popping up again when the government changes colour.

Northwind

Zulu-Eleven – Member

But we’ve already created it – stopping using electricity tomorrow wouldn’t solve the need for somewhere to keep this stuff.

Yup. And since we need a store, with all that implies, the impact of making it big enough for future waste as well as historic is reduced.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

which is?

maxtorque

I find this an interesting chart:

Unfortunately, one mention of the word “nuclear” and the person in the street runs a mile. The average person simply cannot understand the risk they face. They will say “no to nuclear power” then pop inside, stick on the kettle, oven, telly, fan heater, laptop, leave 15 lights burning in the their house, enjoy a hot bath, and somehow not connect the two things. Those same people will also jump in a drive their car to work without the slightest thought as the risk involved (something like 30,000x more likely to die in a car, than as a result of nuclear power in the UK). They will drive their car past a large coal fired station, and simply not connect the hundreds of millions of tonnes of waste that produces each year.

Asked “do you support nuclear power or renewables” without even thinking they will reply “renewables” because they see those as “green”. But NO power generation is Green. For example , wind turbine have such a low power density that you need 10,000 of them to even match 1 single small conventional plant. And each needs to be build (using concrete, fibre glass, metal, copper and plastics) transported, assembled, and then maintained.

Personally, i suspect we might be as little as 10years away from rolling black outs and it costing several thousand pounds a year to heat our houses. At which point, it will be too late to quickly wheel in any other option………….. (it’s too late now really)

So,, imo, the government, needs to establish the best “technical” and “engineering” location for a repository, and just get on an build it.

Nimby-ism is going to be the cause of thousands of deaths and significant suffering for the average man in the street imo. A fate far worse, IMO, than the possiblity that some “radiation” MIGHT escape sometime. (the universe is already full of radiation btw)

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Great opportunity now for any “imbys” to pen a letter to their council and beg them for a nuclear waste store under their house/childs school, good luck.

surfer
    Free Member

under their house/childs school, good luck.

I thought it was in the Ennerdale valley, wow how we have been misled. Good job your here to cut through all that bullshit and give it to us straight, you know in an objective way and that.

noteeth
    Free Member

The beauty of modern nuke technology doesn’t remove from the fact that Sellafield is an absolute mess.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

zokes
    Free Member

An out of sight hole in the ground is one hell of a lot better than this:

NEWS FLASH: Cumbria votes to leave nuclear waste above ground in temporary storage as opposed to taking the opportunity to store it safely, permanently.

It is already in Cumbria, you know.

victorspeedboat
    Free Member

Who said there would be very little surface impact?

If you read the article it tells you how big the above ground compound will be… just in case you are confused by area measurements – it’s not 100m x 100m

😉

zokes
    Free Member

From the BBC

“Cumbria has a unique and world-renowned landscape which needs to be cherished and protected. While Sellafield and the Lake District have co-existed side by side successfully for decades, we fear that if the area becomes known in the national conscience as the place where nuclear waste is stored underground, the Lake District’s reputation may not be so resilient.”

Yes, I’m sure it would 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given how close we live to the lakes it wont affect how often I go but if you have the choice [ and are travelling]between wales, the highlands and the place with the nuclear dump it may affect decisions. whilst you may view this as irrational you can hardly deny that folk are irrational over this.
    TBH no one will choose to have it so they need to [ literally] dump it somehere

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cumbria County Council vetoed an advanced “stage four” search for a site for the radioactive waste facility.

The stage included detailed geological investigations and discussions over the social and economic implications.
    So the bit where we check the actual suitability then…..

we fear that if the area becomes known in the national conscience as the place where nuclear waste is stored underground, the Lake District’s reputation may not be so resilient.

As it’s mostly been kept a secret so far.

Wonder who gets it now then, cue protests as we propose moving said waste from Cumbria.

konabunny
    Free Member

if you have the choice [ and are travelling]between wales, the highlands and the place with the shut down Windscale plant and the currently operating Sellafield plant and the temporary nuke dump it may affect decisions.

zokes
    Free Member

Beat me to it KB

BermBandit
    Free Member

An out of sight hole in the ground is one hell of a lot better than this:

Oh I see, didn’t realise the choice was only restricted to cancer or aids 😉

piemonster

Wonder who gets it now then, cue protests as we propose moving said waste from Cumbria.

On the telly box yesterday I heard mention that there are no councils in England prepared to accept the waste site.

I doubt Toad Face would accept it in Scotland.

Wales, no idea tbh.

At a guess, I would expect a local English council decision to be over ruled and forced to accept the site. Can you think of anywhere they have been looking at? 🙄

Shred
    Free Member

It is pathetic. Where would you rather have high level nuclear waste? Sitting at Sellafield or secure underground?

The media is mainly to blame for this allowing a totally one sided, scare mongoring, panic driven reporting that has skewed the public perception of the impact of this waste.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It is pathetic. Where would you rather have high level nuclear waste? Sitting at Sellafield or secure underground? The media is mainly to blame for this allowing a totally one sided, scare mongoring, panic driven reporting that has skewed the public perception of the impact of this waste.

Or as Cumbrian residents, maybe we took the time to weigh up the pros and cons as they were presented by both camps, and then asked the county council to make a decision based on our conclusions 😕

richmtb

Two words that whip up fear and misunderstanding like no other are “nuclear” and “radiation”

We just need the Daily Mail to convince people that windmills cause radiation for the perfect NIMBY storm to engulf the countryside.

Is the waste not already there? In a huge facility at Sellafield anyway?

piemonster

Two words that whip up fear and misunderstanding like no other are “Chernobyl” and “Fukushima”

FTFY

BermBandit
    Free Member

Two words that whip up fear and misunderstanding like no other are “nuclear” and “radiation”

If you genuinely believe that, may I suggest you show up at an enquiry into a forth coming nuclear power station, and ask this simple question.

“Given that the most wasteful part of electricity generation and distribution is transit from point of generation to point of use, and given that the generating platform itself is safe, why is it necessary to build it so far away from where the power is needed?”

I did so at the Sizewell B enquiry and was shown the door. Can’t imagine why though.

zokes
    Free Member

Or as Cumbrian residents, maybe we took the time to weigh up the pros and cons as they were presented by both camps, and then asked the county council to make a decision based on our conclusions

Good choice – I can see why you prefer it stored on the surface in ageing facilities where it is much less safe.

🙄

Didn’t the local council vote overwhelmingly for it, and are they now requesting to talk directly with Westminster about it? If so, basically what’s happened is the people who don’t live near it made a judgement to the contrary of those who do.

zokes
    Free Member

Given that the most wasteful part of electricity generation and distribution is transit from point of generation to point of use, and given that the generating platform itself is safe, why is it necessary to build it so far away from where the power is needed?

Simple – mitigating risk. No matter how small the risk of anything is happening, the risk of that affecting a lot of people becomes much smaller if you build it away from population centres.

Basic risk management and due diligence really.

I can’t imagine it having anything to do with the manner in which you asked the question though 😉

richmtb

Two words that whip up fear and misunderstanding like no other are “Chernobyl” and “Fukushima”

It’s like TJ never left

Two serious nuclear incidents in how many years?

Coal mining kills 6000 people a year in China

Up to 200 people were killed in Almaty Kazakhstan in 2010 when a hydro electric dam failed.

In 2009 a turbine hall at a hydro plant in Central Russia exploded killing 75 workers

By any sensible definition nuclear power is “safe”

martinhutch

Didn’t the local council vote overwhelmingly for it, and are they now requesting to talk directly with Westminster about it? If so, basically what’s happened is the people who don’t live near it made a judgement to the contrary of those who do.

The council whose members represent Cumbria as a whole, including Copeland, voted against it. At what point does local democracy become too local?

Ennerdale and Kinniside Parish Council voted against it, so they could have made exactly the same ‘people who don’t live near it’ point if stage 4 had gone ahead.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Lakes nuclear dump?’ is closed to new replies.