Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lake District for a dummy
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

gf and I like the idea of a trip to the Lake District in late Oct.

I wonder if anyone can help with suggestions of locations and places to stay that are self-catering and preferably near some water/or nice views of. And of course ok for bikes.

The only riding will be fairly gentle, no all day epics or gnarrrr.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    colin27
    Free Member

Rooms At The Apple Pie in Ambleside, bike shop next door, trails on your doorstep. Winner.

postierich
    Free Member

All the dummies seem to go to Ambleside!My idea of hell

TomB

Beware late october may mean half term, with price hikes and less availablity. If you avoid half term you should have a wide choice. Lots of watery views, but less so from properties in the middle of Keswick/Ambleside etc. If it’s self catering you want, google a few of the agencies and see what takes your fancy. Loads of choice, biking routes for all levels around Keswick, Ambleside, Coniston but no need to confine yourself to staying in town unless you want to walk to pubs/cafes/shops etc.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

postierich – Member
    All the dummies seem to go to Ambleside! My idea of hell

Yeah, helpfull post… 🙄

If you’ve never been to the lakes, or just want somewhere where there are loads of places to eat, a decent bike shop, decent pubs, and enough shops to spend yourself silly, then it would be perfect.

Coupled with great rides straight from your door, its about spot on.

Granted, there are other places, like Kendal, that have similar facilities, but if you dont mind it being busy you wont go far wrong.. IMHO.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s better to avoid ambleside on a B/Hol or school holidays unless you want to get stuck in traffic.

Keswick not as bad with plenty of riding on the doorstep.

grum
    Free Member

+1 teetosugars

Ambleside would be a great base IMO. Bit busy but a nice little town and some stunning easy trails nearby. If it is sschool holidays it probably would be very busy though

nealglover
    Free Member

All the dummies seem to go to Ambleside!My idea of hell

You have a very poor imagination.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

My idea of hell

If that’s hell I’m going to keep on sinning.

DeeJay
    Free Member
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If you are new to Lakes, dont forget the easily missed parking scheme. You have to get free parking disk (from most shops) and display in window for free 1 hour parking. The wardens are red hot in A’side in my experience.

[dont expect too many bargains in the local bike stores!]

scruff
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Red hot everywhere on Parking, get a disc.

For some hidden gems try Wasdale or Cockermouth

ianv
    Free Member

For some hidden gems try Wasdale or Cockermouth

Or Eskdale or Dunnerdale

postierich
    Free Member

When I mean hell I mean hordes of people walking around like zombies dressed in Goretex with an umbrella up in and out of the countless shops buying nothing or sitting in traffic that does not seem to move.Obviously great riding nearby but accom very pricy and do not think much of the pubs
    Keswick would be my choice

parkedtiger
    Free Member

hordes of people walking around like zombies dressed in Goretex with an umbrella up in and out of the countless shops buying nothing or sitting in traffic that does not seem to move.

Welcome to Keswick 😉

grum
    Free Member

When I mean hell I mean hordes of people walking around like zombies dressed in Goretex with an umbrella up in and out of the countless shops buying nothing or sitting in traffic that does not seem to move.Obviously great riding nearby but accom very pricy and do not think much of the pubs
    Keswick would be my choice

Don’t be such a snob. Keswick is similar anyway (and still lovely). If you want to be snobby about somewhere in the lakes make it Bowness. 😉

Golden Rule in Ambleside is a great pub btw.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did always reckon the most dangerous bit of lakes riding was between the post office and booths in Keswick on a Saturday.

that was until I found tuesday nights…..

footflaps

I really like Ambleside, some really nice restaurants and if you get up early and go out, you avoid all the traffic. Main plus point is it’s fairly central, so a good choice for a base.

postierich
    Free Member

I will trump Bowness for Grasmere for the snob fact!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about Coniston? Theres a lake to swim in, a mountain to hike up and a forest to ride your bike round all just a stones throw away.

Not as many zombies with funny accents either. Although there’s less outdoors shops.

clareymorris

It seems the most dangerous stretch in the Lakes is From The Bank Tavern to Muck Smuffs house 😀

stevestunts
    Free Member

Couple of suggestions of places to stay:

Dunnerdale: Hobkin Ground

Near Coniston / Blawith: Coal Yeat

6079smithw
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    She’s a vegan so the self-catering bit is quite important.
    And the time we’d go is cos it’s a birthday trip away.

DeeJay – Member

This was nice
    That place looks so nice. Where did you keep your bikes when you stayed?

I can research a bit more now on the Lakes so thanks.

knottie8
    Free Member

I went to the lakes last month for the first time .camped at the edge of Coniston lake . Glad I didnt take the bike as the area was to beautiful to ride through and warranted a good look only walking will allow. Pubs were good and cheap to eat in. I dont think I’ll be taking the bike when I return either……
    http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h392/knottie/the%20lakes/ a few pics there…

toppers3933
    Free Member

bowness is where the riff raff congregate! 😀

keswick gets my vote everytime because quite a lot of people cant be bothered to drive up past ambleside so in my 36 years experience of visiting the lakes it is usually a bit quieter than ambleside with plenty of riding and walking options.
    theres nothing wrong at all with ambleside, its a very good choice. i just think keswick is nicer.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lake District for a dummy’ is closed to new replies.