Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • [Lack of] pedestrian crossing
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

In the middle of Hexham where I live, in the market square, there are a couple of “pedestrian crossings” in the road. Except they’re not. They’re wide strips of block paving. So road users have right of way.

However, sometimes drivers stop to let pedstrians cross. Sometimes pedestrians just walk right out out as if it were a zebra crossing. both are a pain, especially when I’m trying to teach my 3-year old sensible road manners.

My question is, who do I contact (in the council) to suggest they either remove them, or upgrade them to proper crossings?

RealMan
    Free Member

both are a pain, especially when I’m trying to teach my 3-year old sensible road manners.

My question is, who do I contact (in the council) to suggest they either remove them, or upgrade them to proper crossings?

Your 3 year old? Bit early for that isn’t it?

Your MP?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Well, trying to teach him to look both ways before crossing the road etc. Bit confusing for him when cars stop when not expected, I’d rather he didn’t think that was the norm.

Hmm, MP, hadn’t thought of that. I’d have thought it was a local council thing.

RealMan
    Free Member

Bit confusing for him when cars stop when not expected, I’d rather he didn’t think that was the norm.

Car drivers not doing what you expect them to do? Surely that is the norm..?

davetrave
    Free Member

Your 3 year old? Bit early for that isn’t it?

No, never too early if they’re capable of understanding. We’ve been teaching our 3 (very nearly 4) year old about stop, look, listen since his last birthday and he’s picked it up well. Whenever we’re out and about with him, be it walking by the side of a road we want to cross, in a car park or anywhere where pedestrians and traffic mix we make sure he practices crossing the road and being aware of other traffic.
    And probably not MP in the first instance, local council Highways Department then local councillor then MP, in ascending order of escalation…

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought he meant like driving manners.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

obviously, he’ll pick up his father’s impeccable driving manners 😉

Highways Dept then. Cheers.

joao3v16
    Free Member

In the middle of Hexham where I live, in the market square, there are a couple of “pedestrian crossings” in the road. Except they’re not. They’re wide strips of block paving. So road users have right of way.

They’ve done the same thing on Park Lane in Poynton, but it’s more like cobbles than block paving.

They’ve also ‘cobbled’ about a foot of the side of the road, and laid a central reservation of slightly raised cobbles/block paving.

Effectively narrowing the traffic lane by 2 feet each direction.

Works great for slowing the traffic, which is the reason behind it.

jam-bo

same in Tavistock.

The ambiguity makes them a complete pain driving, riding and walking.

orena45

Basically controlled crossings can only be installed where there is high pedestrian crossing demand and highish traffic flow – if this location has neither, then a zebra/pelican/puffin etc crossing wont’t meet criteria.

It’s an uncontrolled crossing so should be treated as one i.e. stop, look, listen etc. If a motorist stops to let someone cross, then the cobbled surface has done what it’s probably there for, to make drivers more aware of peds in the area and voluntarily give way to them, without the need for over-engineering or Traffic Regulation orders etc.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Looking at that street view .. maybe they’re happy with that setup up in a ‘less is more’ way.

Bit like that place in Dutchynetherholland that’s always bandied around the bike press that has no road markings, no differentiation between ped/bike/auto

Everyone has to be on the lookout potentially makes for an altogether safer place rather then people assuming priority due to a dollop of white paint?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends how you local council is set up. I’d ask for either road safety or traffic management. If they don’t have either, ask for the traffic manager. Under the traffic management act, they have to have one. They’ll be able to point you in the right direction. However, I someone who works in such a field, can I please ask that you ask questions, not make demands? It’s a job that delivers stroppy people almost constantly. Everyone knows your job better than you do, or so they keep telling you. These things are almost always more involved than they appear. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

kevj
    Free Member

Hi-Viz, pot o’ paint etc.

That said, recent regulations have been to de-sterilise mixed use areas. The thought being that after years of adding signs, markings, flashing lights and other forms of warning, both pedestrians and motorists become complacent with all of this and either ignore it, or have information overload and ignore it.

By removing the signage, people will approach a crossing with more care and due consideration, not relying solely on the car having to stop.

<Not saying I agree with the sentiment>

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Dutchynetherlandyhollandish?

Sounds like it might be another p!ss poor UK Council attempt at woonerfing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf

You want to suggest the Council get Ben in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hamilton-Baillie

Pukeko
    Free Member

Noooooo!!

Next there will be digging up, road paint, bollards, or even traffic lights – just whats needed in Hexham, again!!

I can hear the health and safety beakers licking their lips now…. eeek!!

Teach littln’s same rules apply whether zebra x-ing, controlled by lights, or open road… good ole stop look listen.

Now, I’ll get back to cutting veveryone up on my MTB in the market square 👿

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m just saying, they either need a (single) zebra crossing, or nothing at all other than dropped kerbs.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

ir_bandito – Member
    I’m just saying, they either need a (single) zebra crossing, or nothing at all other than dropped kerbs.

Have a look at those links above on woonerfs (shared space) the idea is exactly that there are no crossings or dropped kerbs. Pedestrians have priority over the traffic. It can be done.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘[Lack of] pedestrian crossing’ is closed to new replies.