Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Labelling, are we gullible??
  • TheDoog
    Free Member

Just showered using some lynx rise, which contains lime extract (i can believe that) and himalayan minerals. Are we to believe that lynx have a mining operation out in Nepal extracting 'minerals' or does it just contain minerals that can also be found in the Himalayas so therefore we'll say they're Himalayan.
    Also bought some Vanilla and black orchid washing gel the other day, My pops has bred and grown orchids for many years and assures me the black orchid is at best mythical.
    My question is, what is the law on this labelling? And what have other folk bought that contains dubious things?

CHB

I bought some Turkey twizzlers.

Pook

XTR.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Yeah imagine what 'twizzler' is a euphemism for!

woody2000

Oooh, I bet you smell lovely 😀

And you clearly have too much time on your hands!

PJ266
    Free Member

CHB – How could you eat that re-constituted crap full of growth hormones and water???? Shame on you.

ojom
    Free Member

Lynx don't have to mine the minerals – they just have to buy them from a mining company.

The black orchid thing… thats a bit harder to explain.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Well what are you supposed to think about while you're showering?

wwaswas

google suggests that black orchids are fairly common and have a specific scent;

black orchid

TheDoog
    Free Member

What else has my father lied to me about……………

TheDoog
    Free Member

I suspect the previous black orchid link as being just a fragrance.

Thusly

ojom
    Free Member

Well what are you supposed to think about while you're showering?

NOT dropping the soap.

TheDoog
    Free Member

NOT dropping the soap.

was using shower gel, as mentioned earlier

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Wikipedia suggests that, "Himalayan salt is a marketing term for rock salt from Pakistan,"

ojom
    Free Member

i went to boarding shool. it matters not what you wash with… 😯

woody2000

I'm not in the shower long enough to read the packaging. The toilet however…..!

Anyway, if the smell is just an ester cooked up in a lab, or actual Orchid extract – does it matter if your clothes still end up nice and pongy?

julianwilson
    Free Member

i am not convinced that 'redwin' sram X0 will actually make me win anything….

TheDoog
    Free Member

It matters not, but i like to question things!!! If, as suggested, himalayan minerals are just rock salt from pakistan then some clever bugger has made it marketable yet still legal. I want his job.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Someone gets paid to write the marketing pap that goes on the side of things. Their pay goes on the price you pay. If you don't want to pay people to write that pap, you can buy Asda's Own Unbranded shower gel. Then you get to smell like someone who showers with Asda's Own Unbranded Shower Gel and people wll know and respect you for being the kind of person with an inquisitive mind who seeks iron out the petty foibles in our market-dominated society. Or that you're some kind of unemployed gadgie with nothing to do but read the marketing pap on the side of bottles and doesn't miind smelling like a school swimming pool.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

To answer your original question, yes.

Walker's Sensations crisps have 'Made with Real Ingredients' on the front. As opposed to imaginary one's I suppose?

edhornby

sainsbury value shower gel, perfect for washing the cack off you when you get into work, and cheap enough (10p) to not matter if some skanky arse nicks it
    and it smells ok
    which means you can spend the money you saved on good wine 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Are we to believe that lynx have a mining operation out in Nepal extracting 'minerals'

You see these 'ere French beans?
    I'll let you into a secret, they've never seen France, I grew them in my garden

The term 'Himalayan Minerals' is used as a proper noun – probably 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

anyone remember when the trading standards people stopped that Welsh chap from selling 'Welsh Dragon Sausages' as they conained no real dragons? Honestly, I'm not making that up! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6159630.stm
    Not sure how they would cope if they ever found out about fairy cakes or shepherd's pie.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don't know, one good-sized shepherd goes a long way if you fillet him properly & have a good freezer… 😉

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

yeah, but the gravel in cottage pie really feks your teeeth

AndyP
    Free Member

My question is, what is the law on this labelling
    the law is, that as long as birds are gullible enough to buy something which contains 'pentapeptides' for 'microdermabrasion', then they deserve everything they get.
    Lynx marketing is twofold. 1) advert with hot chicks – to get blokes to buy it. 2) mention of aromas/contents – to get lasses to buy it for their blokes in the hope that it will make them start caring about their personal upkeep.

andrewh
    Free Member

Arbroath Smokies have to come from Arbroath, Melton-Mowbray pork-pies from Melton-Mowbray, Champagne from Champagne, Parma Ham, Stilton cheese etc, etc.

It would appear that south American beef full of growth hormones and anti-biotics can be labled as British as long as the sausage itself was made in Britain from that south American beef. Likewise, a Sainsbury's branch down in Devon sold 'local' beef from a farm 5 miles away. The cows were driven all the way to a slaughter-house in Doncaster and then back to Devon so they could be labled and sold as 'local.'
    1) Don't beleive the labels.
    2) Just a couple of reasons why I don't eat meat.

There is no Alaska in baked Alaska.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Labelling, are we gullible??’ is closed to new replies.