• This topic has 76 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Kwitfit FFS – never again
  • rascal
    Free Member

Long story short(er).
    I ordered 2 Good Year Efficient Grip Performance tyres for my Golf and booked it in for fitting on Sept 8th. Even though it was booked in I was told 2 hrs before ready – not ideal but fine. Went to collect it and just checked they’d been done before going into the reception and picking up keys…they were Good Year Eagle. Slightly miffed I walked in and asked why it had the wrong tyres on it. The manager (who fitted them) walked out to the car without a word as I followed him, stating I ordered EGP – he walked back in without a word and checked on the system while I showed him the confirmation email on my phone. He was clearly very embarrassed and apologetic as it seemed the wrong ones were sent from the main warehouse…I suppose these things happen but why didn’t he check?

He wanted to put it right but with my plans and his holiday we agreed on the right tyres being fitted at 8.30 this morning – he wanted to do it personally and for the inconvenience he was going to do the tracking for free – happy enough with that. Dropped it off to be told it would be 11am when I could pick it up. Bearing in mind someone before me came in without a prior appointment to be told 2 new tyres would be done by 9.30…I questioned why I had to wait 2.5 hrs (given they were rectifying their own error) – he changed this to 10am which was fine.

Same deal – at 10am I checked the tyres – bloody Eagle again! Dismayed by the sheer incompetence and just a little annoyed I went in to the quite full reception/sitting area and he came over to give me the keys. I said I was confused and questioned why he’d taken Eagles off to replace them with Eagles…he looked at the paperwork adamant these were what I ordered. By now most of the people were listening intently while I was trying to keep my cool but fuming. He went out to the car and again I followed him – I did apologise for swearing – something along the lines of ‘how the **** has this happened again?’. Back in we go and he disappears making a call while I get the original email up on the phone. He returns and I show him and he says there must be a fault with the ordering system but I pointed out that he should have checked them before fitting the wrong ones again. Yet again he’s ‘really sorry’ but I now have to go back for a third time just to get a pair of tyres fitted. That’s 3.5 hours wasted plus whatever next Sunday takes. Absolute ineptitude. I told him head office would be hearing about this and everyone heard it too.

I will never use these muppets again. Rant over.

bigjim

lol

nickjb
    Free Member

Kwik fit do mobile fitting. Chap turns up in a van, fits the tyres, drives off. Much less effort for you. I think they are different companies so I doubt you can get them out to do the change now though.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

About 15 years ago I friend was waiting in Kwikfit while his tyre was being changed. Looking into the workshop he watched one member of staff use a trolley jack to lift a car then remove the wheel. As he went off with the wheel to replace the tyre another member of staff released the jack so he could use it. The car dropped onto it’s brake disc with a loud bang. They continued working with the first member of staff returning with another jack, lifted the car and fitted the wheel like nothing had happened.

I haven’t used kwikfit anywhere since as they seem to be cowboys / idiots.

jimdubleyou

Sign along…

You can’t get thicker than a Kwik Fit fitter they’re the one to never trust!

tthew

Sign along…

You can’t get thicker than a Kwik Fit fitter

😂 You sure about that?

colp

😂 You sure about that?

He’s just being inclusive for deaf people

mattyfez

I had a mobile fitter once fit 4 continental eco contacts instead of premium contacts.
    After an easily won debate that I’d ordered the eco, he tried to convince me they were the same tyres and made no difference.

Then after that little debate was won, he offered me a discount, which was actually just the price difference between the ecos and the premiums.
    I’d had enough by then so told him he wasn’t being paid and to take all 4 tyres off and put my old ones back on.
    Then I went elsewhere.
    Unbelievable!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Meanwhile they’ll have signed up your phone number to their insurance sales team who will call you 5 times a day at all hours over the span of a few months around renewal time.

I’ve got a pile of bigger gripes with KrapFit that’s too long to go into, but will never use them again. Funny enough, not having bought their shitty exhausts for over 10 years now, I don’t seem to need a new exhaust every year.

mooman
    Free Member

It surprises me that KwikFit are still open; I dont know anybody who has used them who has anything good to say about them.

timbog160

Mainly due to the masses of bad stories about them I was always very reluctant to use them. However my local one has I have to say been very good over the last 3 or 4 years I’ve used them.

My only real problem with them is their insistence on up selling wheel alignment – I always say no and have it done elsewhere if needed, but it annoys me when people who don’t know different fall for it…

boomerlives
    Free Member

They fitted a set of tyres to my car that were the wrong (lower) load rating.

When challenged they said the manufacturer was in the wrong.

Multi-Billion pound company or scally with dirty fingernails? Who to believe…?

For all their balls ups, you’d think they’d be more apologetic

richmars

I use them and have never had a problem. Tyres and batteries. Never been asked to check alignment either.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

It’s not the sign above the door it’s the people who work in the store. My local KF is fantastic, real honest service and done bits and bobs for free too. Servicing and MOT excellent and really cheap.

mattyfez

Yeh I guess it’s a bit like Halfords in that respect, although I would never use kwik fit unless it was an emergency.

This was my last experience..

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=201855

fossy

Best option I did was getting tyres done by AA Mobile fitters. I was recovering from a broken back and couldn’t drive. Competitive price and the balancing was perfect – and has stayed so for the last 3 years. Never had great balancing from many companies, usually needing a second visit.

matt_outandabout

Meanwhile they’ll have signed up your phone number to their insurance sales team who will call you 5 times a day at all hours over the span of a few months around renewal time.

This.

I blew a tyre at BPW this summer, the day before we drive back to Scotland. The only local garage with all-seasons in stock in summer was Thick-Fit.
    Tyres were fitted just fine.

The week after I had two phone calls, starting with the ‘we just want to check you’re happy with our service’ and rapidly moving onto ‘…so when’s your insurance due?’.
    Go.
    Away.
    Now.

Arnold Clark do the same though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve just shopped around using Black Circles & Asda for the past few years, then I phone the nearest place that can fit them & ask If they can beat the price, & quite often they can. In fact the last twice I’ve needed tyres I’ve just used a local independent garage who are ace & cheap. They don’t try & mug people off either.
    I’d never use Kwik Fit, NTS, ATS or any of the big guns.

reluctantjumper

I had a pair of rear tyre fitted by them, also Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance as it happens, and they’d fitted one of them the wrong way round with the inside on the outside. Noticed when I got home so phoned them up and they said to pop back so I did. The guy who fitted then was waiting for me in the car park and directed me to drive straight into the bay, quickly sorted the tyre while I had a drink in reception and gave me the keys back. I drove out of the bay and was about to leave when a suited guy tapped on my window. It was the area director who asked why I was driving out of one of their bays. Told him the story and he immediately apologised, said I shouldn’t have been made to drive in and out of the bay myself and gave me £100 in vouchers as an apology!
    Three weeks later I got a phone call from them, expecting the usual insurance speil but no, it was the area manager. He again apologised and informed me the guy I’d dealt with had been disciplined ie sacked. I got sent another £75 of vouchers too!

The company seems to be pretty good, it’s the staff in the centres that are the problem.

Poopscoop

I had them supply and fit a battery.

They fitted the battery and I went home. It then occurred to me that they are not the most trusted place in the world so i popped the bonnet.

Fitter had sheared of the bolt holding in the battery. This bike also held the whole battery tray in place too. So loose battery and even looser tray. MOT fail for a start. Also the fitter had even left a couple of his snap on sockets in the gutter of the hood!

Went back and had a fairly polite go at the manager who also called the fitter in so I could have a go at him too.

Bits break when repairing cars,I don’t have a problem with that but to just conceal the fact and let me drive off obvious to it!!

Due to the fitter concealing it they supplied and fitted a new battery tray (at over £50) and refunded the cost of the new battery too.

I insisted the manager fit the battery whilst I stood next to him the whole way through.

I used to work at a place called Charlie Browns. Remember them? I was in the shop but we had to serve customers in reception and help with Mots etc. You guys wouldn’t believe the **** that went on.

Fitters motivated by bonuses for every exhaust etc they fit is never a good thing.

control67
    Free Member

I have had mixed experiences of Kf, on the good side was when I took one of my old Cortina’s wheels in with a leaky valve, they replaced it FOC.

More recently I was having some new tyres fitted to my car (they had a good deal on and nowhere else came close) I was sat in their waiting area with their propaganda videos on loop (the difference between a borderline and illegal tyre is just the thickness of 4 £20notes…buy premium tyres because budgets will make you dead…new MOT laws mean we can say your car can’t be driven away for repairs…) when a young lass came in for w new battery on her little french hatch. They quoted her around £150 to supply and fit when there was an ECP pretty much next door where the local RAC/AA guys hang out, she could have easily got her battery from there with change from a £50 and someone would have fitted it (I would have volunteered this but they had my car up on a ramp and you never know what they might do…)

trail_rat
    Free Member

The company seems to be pretty good, it’s the staff in the centres that are the problem.

When you see the wages on offer you can understand why.

Then there’s the fact they were willing to employ someone like me with no formal training on the basis of am assessment interview.

Now for basic tasks that’s fine…it’s when shit hits the fan or deviates from the norm is when being skilled in your trade sets you apart from a have a go hero.

dannyh
    Free Member

Why didn’t you start an ‘any advice please’ thread on here first? That’s your usual MO isn’t it?

P.S. The OP is part of our riding group, so I’m just doing a bit of gentle leg-pulling.

P.P.S. When will you be gracing us with your presence on a Wednesday night again?

TheFlyingOx

Vowed I’d never use them again when I saw my car being absolutely hammered out of their carpark and down the road massively in excess of the speed limit after it had gone in for two rear tyres. Apparently it was to check they’d seated properly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t deny any of these issues but the two I’ve used in Cardiff have been good (Newport Road loads and Penarth Road a few times).

piemonster

It surprises me that KwikFit are still open; I dont know anybody who has used them who has anything good to say about them.

I do wonder if it’s a branch by branch thing. Kwik Fit Hereford saved us from a long Christmas with the outlaws a few years back. Didn’t even have the part in stock or have a supplier with the part in stock. Managed to get one from another garage (essentially a competitor) and fixed the car the following day.

Maybe the relief of escaping the out laws has distorted my perception of the experience.

breadcrumb

I recently ordered 4 tyres online with ProTyre to be fitted at a local place.

On the day that I had booked I received a call telling me that only two tyres had turned up, apologies were given and I was told the other two tyres would be in the next day (Bridgestone Potenzas).

Next morning another call to say the tyres hasn’t turned up again and they were on to the online sales to see what was going on. I asked what they had in as waiting day after day wasn’t going to work for me. They rang me back with the offer of Continental Sport Contacts at the same price as the Bridgestones. Happy days, better rated tyres.

Then it went to shit with the tracking! To be fair they got everything sorted and waived the tracking and some extra labour costs from seized parts, but I did lose about 6 hours of my life getting 4 tyres and tracking done.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What exactly went wrong with the tracking that was their fault over an above the sized bits?

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s not the sign above the door it’s the people who work in the store. My local KF is fantastic, real honest service and done bits and bobs for free too. Servicing and MOT excellent and really cheap.

Yup. My local one is pretty good; they’ve fixed numerous punctures for free.

tomd
    Free Member

They’re on my list of shitbag companies to avoid. I made the mistake of prepaying for work online (it’s a clickthrough from the booking page) earlier this year.

They couldn’t do the work when I took it in because their equipment was faulty. Manager was fine, things like that happen and all was polite and cordial. He told me he couldn’t refund because I booked online, and I had to contact the call centre.

There is no refund option on the call centre, and refunds are handled by some other office you can only find if you believe it exists. It’s on a par with getting a refund off Ryanair.

I finally got refunded. By cheque. They told me they couldn’t refund to card, even though I paid by card. Shower of shite company.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I used to use them every year for MOT as the chap who ran it was a really good bloke and wouldn’t try to add a load of scare mongering bullshit to the invoice.

Then it was taken over by someone else, who failed the MOT (which tbf I expected and was willing to pay for) but then also proceeded to try and sell (and scare me) into a load of other work that “needed” doing (over £1500 worth) which I knew didn’t need as I’d done it myself not long ago! E.g. brake discs, pads, cam belt, fluids. None of which were an issue. I won’t use them again since then and actually quite pleased as I used a more local garage that were much better to deal with.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Well, people taking cars to Quick fit and then complaining. Who’d have thought it?
    It’s your own fault for being so Stupid.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Well, people taking cars to Quick fit and then complaining. Who’d have thought it?
    It’s your own fault for being so Stupid

I first used them because my Tesco vouchers covered the cost of an MOT (there’s no chance I’d let them service anything, and I used to do it myself anyway). I was pleasantly surprised that they were decent and didn’t try to rip me off. So I kept using them until they changed owners who were more unscrupulous.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s your own fault for being so Stupid.

Well, to be fair, you can’t spell the company name correctly either, so I would be more careful chucking stones in glass houses….

papamountain
    Free Member

Eagle F1’s? Aren’t they better/more expensive than the tyres you wanted?

breadcrumb

What exactly went wrong with the tracking that was their fault over an above the sized bits?

Obviously it being seized wasn’t their fault, but it took them a good 3 to 4 hours to release whatever needed released. And then when I drove off the car was pulling to the right when the wheel was centred, it has jumped 3mm on the front toe apparently!

dissonance

Several experiences with them.
    Some tyre changes without hassle.
    One random temp job spending a day phoning up centres acting as a mystery customer. So management did put a bit of effort into checking up although that said since it seemed like a standard template I suspect savvy managers could have caught onto it and trained people.
    Then one case where my exhaust hanger decided enough was enough. Was the nearest place far from home. Left it with them and came back an hour or so later after enjoying the pleasures of some post industry town. Cost of new bracket plus labour ==0.
    So as per some other comments I suspect it really depends on the local staff not dissimilar to Halfords for bikes.

phil5556

He again apologised and informed me the guy I’d dealt with had been disciplined ie sacked. I got sent another £75 of vouchers too!

That doesn’t sound like a good company. Maybe they need to train their staff better, rather than sack them.

If I mess up at work I have a chat to make sure it was just a mistake, check if there’s any knowledge lacking and extra training if necessary. Not disciplined.

rascal
    Free Member

A few answers…
    They had a good price on at the time and going to the local Kwiktit worked that weekend with other things I had on rather than driving 15 miles each way to save £15 that could only be the day before – so yep, that’s me being so Stupid 🙄.
    I like GYEGP as the ratings are good and for my driving on that car (lots of M1) they last ages with good grip at a reasonable price. Plus they match the newish fronts that I bought online elsewhere with zero hassle…that were more expensive this time round. Lesson learnt.
    Not penned email to HO yet but it will cover basically what I put down here. Their website claims a 98% positive satisfaction rating…most opinions here and from other sources would suggest that is total bollux.

What does STW think the KF response, if any, might/should be? 🤔
    I will slag these fuketards off at any opportunity from this point onwards – just not sure I should let them know that at this point.

Dan – soon.

DM52
    Free Member

aren’t Kwik-Fit a franchise setup anyway? Strangely the last time I replaced two tyres they the cheapest for what I wanted and the mobile fitter was putting them on the car 2 days later.

I really think with any tyre place it is a lottery when it comes to quality of service.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Kwitfit FFS – never again’ is closed to new replies.