Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • KS Lev Integra won’t drop
  • zilog6128

Due off to Wales tomorrow and just noticed the KS Lev Integra on my big bike won’t drop! Haven’t used it for a month or so, was fine last time I rode it. A quick google shows this isn’t exactly unusual, although it did fall over in my hallway and was stopped by the saddle, dunno if this could have bent the stanchion or something, looks OK though? Don’t think this is the issue actually as when I tried to depress the lever it was really stiff, after pressing it once the stiffness went, but no dropping! I’ve had the post out and the cable is still connected and actuates the barrel thing.

Anything to look for or try? One video (from the KS technical department!) on YouTube shows a guy twatting it with a rubber mallet to free something or other up, did give that a wee go but didn’t hit it too hard!

Not the end of the world as the other bike I’m taking has the same seatpost size, so I can just swap it for my sort-of-crappy-but-mega-reliable HiLo as and when, obviously rather get the Lev working again though!

enigmas
    Free Member

Take the cable off and see if you can actuate it by hand by putting an allen key through the actuator and pulling it. If it still doesn’t move there’s something wrong internally.

Mine did the same thing twice, about a year apart that needed sending off for a service to fit. i can’t remember exactly what the problem internally was though.

tillydog
    Free Member

Mine quite often sticks after not being used for a week, or so – hold the button in and drop your backside firmly onto the seat.

otsdr
    Free Member

Might help to pull on it slightly before pushing, even if it is at the end of its travel.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’ve got the non integra Lev. Try a new outer and inner gear cable (assuming it uses one?) I just bought one of the clarks gear cable set for around 7 quid from Halfords and fitted. Cleaned and greased back plate and lever and lubed new inner cable with GT85. Works a treat now. It was so stiff with the original race cable, now like new. 3 years old, never serviced other than lubing the stanchion after rides. Bought used!

Bloody marvellous droppers!

zilog6128

Try a new outer and inner gear cable (assuming it uses one?)

is this gonna help though if the cable is still working i.e. activating the thing at the bottom of the post?

vincienup
    Free Member

Levs are very sensitive to cable pull. Just because the actuator is moving doesn’t mean it’s moving enough.

If you have it clear enough to see the actuator, see if you can move it further when the button is pushed. Cable tension might be your only problem.  Otherwise, giving it a thump/sitting down heavily while holding the button is usual for a Lev that’s been left idle due to stiction.  If it’s still not moving it might be worth depressurisation and seeing if that makes a difference (obv pump it back up before use!)

zilog6128

I’ve disconnected it, and tried holding it upside down and thumping the saddle on the ground whilst using a hex wrench to pull the actuator back, no joy! Also tried sitting down on it heavily before taking it off (that was the first thing I thought of tbh!)

cooie

The cord inside is probably broken.

cooie

Forget that, I’m thinking of the external one!

vincienup
    Free Member

Broken cord is about the worst case but is a possibility. On an external routed you could check that the barrel has tension but not sure what you could check on the Integra without at least partially stripping.  Does the Integra wvrmnhave it?  The purpose is to transfer pull down the casing so seems superfluous

The Kevlar cord isn’t actually that expensive a replacement part but it’s a bit of a PITA to get at as you’re stripping most of the unit to access it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

<div class=”bbcode-quote”>

</div>

is this gonna help though if the cable is still working i.e. activating the thing at the bottom of the post?

Not sure as I don’t have your model, but the KS lever was as stiff as a board and was no longer holding the post. The old cable was still moving at the business end of the post.

Not got it clamped too tight in the frame?

tillydog
    Free Member

“Broken cord is about the worst case but is a possibility. On an external routed you could check that the barrel has tension but not sure what you could check on the Integra without at least partially stripping.  Does the Integra [even] have it?”

No, it has a push rod instead.

vincienup
    Free Member

🙂 Apologies for the typo!

But yep, having been and watched the KS (USA) Lev service video – there’s no cable in the Integra.

That’s a pretty good video actually.  I’ve usually referred to the MTBR thread whenever I’ve needed to know anything about Lev internals.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mine is usually a grit filled cable, flush copiously with thin lube and it comes back to life.

zilog6128

Not got it clamped too tight in the frame?

no, literally haven’t touched the bike or adjusted anything since the last ride! Sounds like something has gone wrong inside. I’ll try stripping it down when I get back, it’s under a year old so still under warranty if I can’t figure it out!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘KS Lev Integra won’t drop’ is closed to new replies.