Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Knoydart-Glenfinnan to Inverie
  • sporteus

Has anyone ridden to Inverie from Glenfinnan via Glenfinnan Lodge, Strathan, Glendessary, Mam nan Cloich Airde, Sourlies, Carnoch, Mam Meadail and on to Inverie? Any information will be gratefully received.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have walked parts of that. Glen dessary is an easy ride ( apart from stiles over deer fences) towards the top of the pass at the end of the marked double track. Beyond that IIRC it is a rather rough sometimes dissapearing path which I doubt can be ridden to Carnach. I don’t know beyond that as we walked up onto the ridge. I remember scambling up rocky bluffs to get round the head of loch Nevis

druidh
    Free Member

Weird – I was just looking at this on a map last night……

Doing a bit of googling, and with some personal knowledge, here are my thoughts to date:

Glenfinnan to the Streap col should be mostly bikeable, with a bit of a push/carry near the top.

Down to Strathan looks a bit more dodgy. apparently, the path on the West side of the river has fallen away in places, so it’s possible a heather bash down to the bridge.

Glendessary will be fine – although it’s been chewed up and is very muddy in places due to landies/quads.

Mam na Cloiche Airde will be problematic, but manageable.

Sourlies to Carnoch will be OK at low tide, otherwise it’s the rocky scramble TJ mentions

Carnoch to Mam Meadail will be a stiff push up a decent track.

Mam Meadail to Inverie will be a blast.

Overall, I’m 50:50 on giving it a go.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

70/30% walk/ride I reckon. 😮

Only ever walked it myself and loved it, but a pretty capable rider pal of mine still gets the shudders whenever he recalls their trip. To put in context, we’re okay with a good few hours carrying/pushing in each days ride, but they felt there wasn’t enough quality riding to balance up the slog factor…as I type this I’m almost drawn to the challenge of riding it myself in a masochistic kind of way!!! 😆

Oh, I’ll need to double check – they might have had BOB trailers which might’ve been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Swello
    Free Member

I walked from Glenfinnan station to Inverie a few years back. I walked your suggested route as far as Upper Glendessary before I headed over the hills to Loch Quoich and on to Inverie via Gleann Unndalain.

For the bit I did that shares your route – Glenfinnan to the Streap coll would be more or less all bikable – but over the other side, the path is indistinct and rough (one precarious bit) and it becomes a complete bog as you approach Strathan. As far as Upper Glendessary is then 100% rideable.

The route that I’m more interested in biking to Inverie is Loch Quoich to Inverie via Glenn Unndalain and Mam Barrisdale. I’ve walked 90% of that and the vast majority is rideable IMO. The only bit I don’t know about is from the Kinloch Hourn road to Abhainn Chosaidh – Even though not on the map, I know there is a path – but I’ve no idea what it’s like. I might try it this summer 🙂

Some Pics to help:

Track from Corryhully Bothy to Streap Coll

Path from the coll to Strathan

Mam na Cloich Airde from above

Inverie

druidh
    Free Member

Swello – how are your evenings this week?

Swello
    Free Member

Druidh – tonight in particular would be good, possibly tomorrow night.

druidh
    Free Member

Batteries on charge – txt me?

sporteus

Thank you all very much for your really helpful posts. Swello, your pics are particularly useful. Thanks.

fullysussed
    Free Member

Yes, thanks also from me for your efforts in this post. Great info.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Swello,

Geograph
    suggests the bit from the Kinlochhourn road to pick up the Abhainn Chosaidh would be a bit of a ball-ache. Might be worth it though for the remainder of the ride.

Great website for route planning.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Knoydart-Glenfinnan to Inverie’ is closed to new replies.