Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Kneepads for all day riding?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone?

What’s good out there, that aren’t too bulky, and you can wear them all day..

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve, after many years of trying different things since they stopped making 661 Kyle Straits, have settle on Dainese Trail Skins. Better quality than the Race Face ones I’ve had, don’t rub and offer a decent amount of protection, including on the sides, without being obtrusive. Go a size up.

As will all things like this though I’d try them on before you buy, or at least get them from somewhere with free returns, as the three or four pairs I’ve had from IXS, Speedstuff and Race Face since my last Kyle Straits have all been a bit of a waste of time and money because of how they fit and where they touch my skin that can rub.

bruneep

Bliss

Painey
    Free Member

I have the Dainese ones and they’re superb. Strongly recommended.

orena45

The problem is, it’s such a personal choice that recommendations are pretty useless. Loads of people recommend Dainese Trail Skins, so I bought a pair last year and they are good for riding in…except that the left pad rubs my knee raw after an hour and a half or so of riding no matter how I position it. 😥

Not sure if there’s anything that has a sort of lycra knee sock that the pad ‘floats’ over?…maybe that’d be good for me!

Spud

Watching with interest as my Kyle Straits are on their last legs and I need some new ones pre Lakes trip. I’ve tended to wear thin knee warmers under my pads to stop rubbing,I guess that means the pads don’t quite fit well enough, but how much time and £ do we all have to get the perfect on the bike.

hatter

Bliss

+1

My ARG’s are so comfy I wear them as ‘butch kneewarmers’ even when the terrain doesn’t really warrant them.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@orena45

“Some kind of Lycra knee sock…”

Would wearing a buff under each knee protector work?

rocketman
    Free Member

There are loads and like helmets and gloves be prepared to buy loads and send loads back.

ime the most unobtrusive slash comfortable pads are the least protective and in order to work properly they really do need to stay in place so a half a leg warmer with some foam in it is going to do sweet fa

Dainese Trail Skins are one of the best compromises but like all of them they go baggy after repeated use. When you’ve left part of your knee on the trail you tend to realise they’re not really doing anything.

Top tip is to get some pads that kind of slot into place around your knees and don’t really need the straps or elastics to keep them in place. You’ll have to search because a lot of them try to be comfortable out of the box but like a crash helmet you’ll know when they fit

Good luck

Sanny
    Free Member

I have been testing poc air pads and are the first pads I have used that I am happy to wear all day. Light, flexible and very comfy. I like them a lot. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Those of you having rub problems, try putting a bit of chamois cream round your knees before a ride.

I also stick a buff under one kneepad that’s particularly bad.

iainc

I settled on Bliss Minimalist and RaceFace charge for this purpose. The RaceFace ones are not much more than padded knee warmers, the Bliss ones have plastic bits that offer a little protection. Perfect for my needs. I must have sent back close to 20 sets in the process though.

fathomer

I like my IXS Flows until they stretch out of shape, the second set has got to the point where they’re unwareable after about 14 months. To be honest I’ll probably get the same again as they offer decent protection for the comfort and aren’t to expensive.

pdV6
    Free Member

I lucked out with the set I bought after destroying a knee 3 years ago.
    First pair I tried fitted well, stay in place and are comfy. 661 Rage (Kyle Strait replacement I think?)

Might need to replace them soon as they’re not washable and are starting to stink a bit 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought some trail skins as everyone was raving about them but they feel a bit inflexible and restricting compared to my Troy Lee 5400s.

Haven’t sent them back yet though.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I was using my new IXS flow pads in whistler for near to two weeks and was happy with how they felt over the longer rides including climbing. Just a shame I finally opted for them over my fox freeriders after falling and knocking my knee quite badly!

rOcKeTdOg

Just ordered bliss myself about 10 minutes ago

jairaj

I have Troy Lee 5400 and they feel pretty good. The elastic is wearing out after ~18 months so they start to drop down a little bit but still feel fine pedaling around all day.

I also tried a pair of the 5450 which barely felt any bulkier but the extra length helped keep it in place better. When I eventually buy new pads to replace my aging 5400s I may end up getting the 5450.

sharkattack

I lost a knee pad just before I went riding earlier this year and had to buy some in a pinch. All I could get my hands on at the LBS was an eye wateringly priced pair of Troy Lee Raid’s. They were a nice fit and I was desperate so I bought them. Now I’m glad I did. I forget I’m wearing them and there’s no hot spots in terms of rubbing or chafing.

They’ve already paid for themselves when I went drifting and tried to dig a trench with my knee cap. They didn’t move at all and they don’t have any damage.

You can now get them for much less than I paid. Here’s a very favourable review-
    LINK

Northwind

I always recommended the 661 Rage but they’ve changed the design and the new one is a total disaster. TBH any decent soft pad should be all-day pedallable if it fits you right. Don’t focus on bulk though- bulk tends to mean softness and flexibility as well as more protection, but there’s not much downside to it. (big pads like the old Rage can be more open whereas minimal pads like a Gform tend to be very enclosed)

I rode about 50 miles at the GT7 in mine, no bother

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of POC VPD 2.0 knee pads for nearly 5 years and they are still going strong. The kevlar material is fine but the stiching is starting to look a bit ropey.
    They are not cheap but i wear them every ride, 2 or 3 times a week and that must equate to awesome value per mile.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

There’s some builders work trousers with ‘pockets’ for knee protection (to make it easier on the knees when kneeling down).
    Maybe it’s worth taking a pair of these and turning them into 3/4 ‘s and experiment with various pads/ thicknesses?

jedi

hard cap ones, ones that dont slide down on impact. i wear scott rocket pads

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was asking LBS about some two weeks ago and stupidly commented that when I come off I tend to hit my thighs/ hips more than knees. Sure enough a few days later, bit OTB and very very sore thighs. Still hurts now 10 days later!!!

tweedviper
    Free Member

POC VPD 2 They are Fantastic, I was very unsure about wearing Kneepads due to being uncomfortable but I read a fair few reviews and decided to take the plunge with some Poc VPD 2’s, they are so comfortable I don’t even lower them when we stop at the pub which does seem to happen quite often these days, spend the money they are well worth it

tony07
    Free Member

Poc vpd 2.0s have a seam along the bag that chafes the life out of my legs. They also stink even thought they’re polygiene treated. Not a fan. Looking to try some of the raids but nowhere has them in stock!

chakaping
    Free Member

hard cap ones, ones that dont slide down on impact. i wear scott rocket pads

Totally agree, I’m happy to pedal all day in my Fox Launch Pro. Have crashed in slimmer pads and had them slide down on the first impact, so that my bare knee could smash into more rocks.

Those Rocket pads look good and reasonably priced. Might try them next time.

ratadog

Just to complicate matters the POC VPD air are lighter weight than the VPD 2.0 but so far seem comfortable, light weight and durable. Already outlasted my race face dig and 661 rage both of which are a lot bulkier and fell apart quite quickly without any major impact. Gform are fine but are essentially leg warmers with protection and can get mighty hot.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Genuine POC VPD 2 have NO seam along the back ? are you sure yours were the real thing?

motozulu
    Free Member

The teenage mutant ninja turtle ones ( not the exact kids ones but the ones that look like them) forgotten the name but sure you will know. Good pads – obviously not suited to full on DH but a great all day knee pad.

ceepers

Troy Lee 5400 are really easy to wear all day, probably had them 2 years and washed after every ride and they are still fitting well, couple of small tears from falls but all good.

They are a little on the skimpy side though, not sure I’d wear them for anything too full on. I’ve got a pair of the nukeproof ones too which are fine to pedal in and offer great protection but get too hot in summer.

Reckon there’s a sliding scale of all day comfort vs protection and it’s partly where you place the compromise

gasgasser
    Free Member

Bliss ARG have worked great for me

hairyscary

Reckon there’s a sliding scale of all day comfort vs protection and it’s partly where you place the compromise

I’ve tried on loads of types of knee pad and always end up buying anther pair of IXS slopes (hardcap DH type). I just can’t imagine the minimalist ones actually working and don’t want to risk it.

orena45

“Some kind of Lycra knee sock…”

Would wearing a buff under each knee protector work?

Possibly. Would get a bit sweaty though in the summer.

chakaping – Member
    Those of you having rub problems, try putting a bit of chamois cream round your knees before a ride.

No idea why that hadn’t occurred to me! I’ll try that next ride 🙂

tony07
    Free Member

Yes I’m sure they are genuine unless wiggle are selling knock offs. The space where the strap is has a pocket for the strap to run through it has been stitched together forming a seam.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Kneepads for all day riding?’ is closed to new replies.