Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Knee warmers. Are any of them any good?
  • nedrapier

Has anyone found any knee warmers which are comfy and stay in place?

I’ve not got a huge commute, so I just wear casual shorts. The knees are getting a bit chilly recently, as they would.

I don’t want to wear trousers, so I’ve been looking at 3/4 tights.

I still don’t need padding, though, so what about the knee warmers.

Anyone use them, or are they too much faff?

nedrapier

Hmmm.

This confirms some of my suspicions:

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2007/05/16/knee-warmers-are-stupid/

warpcow
    Free Member

I use mine all the time, whether I’m wearing them or have them in my pack just in case. I’ve had Craft ones, which I loved but forgot in a hut somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, Sweden, and now have some Sombrio ones I got in CRC’s sale. Both seem to be just as good: they both stay in place and keep my knees warm. Tbh, as long as they fit, and have the silcone grippers, I can’t see them being much of a ‘faff’.

crazy-legs

I used to think the same as that fatcyclist blog until I actually used a pair. Was doing a ride which started on a nice warm summer evening and then went through the night when it would obviously get cold. Not cold enough for tights, too cold for just shorts.

So I bought some knee warmers. And they’re ace. Got three pairs now, some nice long Specialized ones, some short Endura ones and some lovely merino Rapha ones.

So long as they have a silicone gripper, they’re fine and they’re held in place by the gripper on the lycra shorts as well.

thorpie
    Free Member

Always used my Endura ones with no issues, even wear them with singletrack shorts through the snow!

Simon

Got some 3/4 Lusso – fleecy on the inside, silicone grippers top and bottom – stay up and do the job.
    Look a bit weird with just the knee warmers on before donning shorts! 😯

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I was going to say avoid Endura, but there seems to be some fans. I’ve always found they go baggy. I rate the Specialized ones as their long and stay in place on me.

Kryton57

Craft knee warmers here. Lovely and smooth and just the right amount of warmth, no sweatiness. Also has grippers on the in side and outside to grip the shorts.

aa
    Free Member

oooh, i’m a knee warmer fan.

De feet, nice length. Cheap as chips but too tight in the thigh. No gripper, but dont slip too much.
    Assos, nicely made but death grip’s my calves so have to finish right under my knee.

Rapha,, just right. Well made, great fit, warm. What more do you want.

Essential kit for all bikies imo

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Got castelli and descente and use them loads when its not cold enough for 3/4s but a bit nippy for just bibshorts, both good.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Sportful no rain arm, knee and leg warmers are supposed to be very good and as name suggests, a bit water resistant too.

nedrapier

Happy days, thanks all!

I was hoping they wouldn’t one of those things that are great in principle but rubbish in practice.

Sounds like I’ll have to get to an shoppe and try a few on. What’s the betting the ones that fit me best are the most expensive? 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve had endura ones for two full winters without any problems.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I like the Sugoi ones. Stay in place well and comfy.

zangolin
    Free Member

3 or 4 pairs of Endura over the years – no problems. Knee warmers always stay up a little better if you shave your legs.

zangolin
    Free Member

Edit – double post.

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re a great piece of kit. However my ‘one size fits all’ Enduras are pants, but only because they don’t reach the tops of my shorts.
    One size fits all and I’m only 5’8″

Major wardrobe malfunction.

aP
    Free Member

Assos lightweight knee warmers are great. I carry them for my 3 season commute just in case. For more warm I have some 15 year old lusso ones. Now I have some sportful leg warmers in the bag for that late night commute home.
    Although I spent the day today in my real office – so rapha jeans did the job on the brompton (and the pub which is where I am now).

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Kneewarmers are the best bit of bike clothing I’ve bought. Endura FWIW

turboferret

I’ve got Endura knee, arm and leg warmers, make for very versatile bits of kit. Assuming you have the warmers under the leg grippers on your shorts, they rarely budge for me. My only issue has been with my arm warmers due to having arms like pipe-cleaners, so I’ve narrowed the upper opening with a sewing machine.

Love em.

Cheers, Rich

FuzzyWuzzy

Although I have a pair (DHB ones that don’t stay up) I’m not a big fan, if it’s just a bit nippy I’ll wear 3/4 bibs, if it’s chilly I’ll either wear tights or leg warmers as usually if it’s cold enough to want something on my knees it’s cold enough I may as well have my shins covered to (it’s not like anyone buys elbow warmers is it?)

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Lusso work for me

rOcKeTdOg

Castelli are lovely, more expensive than some but worth it

nedrapier

Got some on the way home today. Plumped for the cheapo Sportful ones. They work.

No one mentioned the surprising advantage though: The mild titillation you get when it’s just a small section of your upper thigh between the boxers and the knee warmers that’s caressed by your shorts over the top.

Just me?

I guess most are wearing lycra shorts, but you’re missing out…

brakes
    Free Member

my right knee hurts in the cold, will these help?

nedrapier

Mine won’t. You’ll need to get your own and wear them yourself.

Seriously, though, it’s why I got them. The knees are getting a bit creaky and the cold doesn’t help.

nedrapier

back left corner of Condor, btw, there’s a choice of 10 or so.

simondbarnes

Oldgit – your shorts are too short. HTH.

Grimy
    Free Member

Ive got a pair of Endura FS260 Pro knee warmers and they do exactly what they’re supposed too. They have a decent layer of latexy giggle band around the top of each to prevent then slipping down that works well if in contact with your skin. I.e. pull them up UNDER your shorts and they will stay put from my experiance with them.

brakes
    Free Member

back left corner of Condor, btw, there’s a choice of 10 or so.

of yours? I’m confused.

nedrapier

10 of my knees, yes.

Digger90
    Free Member

What about longer length knee warmers?

I find many are too short.. as I like my knee warmers to come down lower .. sort of halfway down my calf – than they’re supposed to, meaning they don’t stretch over the top of the thigh and stay in place.

Any recommendations for longer knee warmers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Christ fatcyclist is a dick.

Kneewarmers are great.

Digger you miss the point

julianwilson
    Free Member

Digger, only ones I have ever had are specialized ones and are so long I can get mine to join the tops of 5″ cuff socks for a proper daft look 😀
    FWIW they have also stayed up fine for whole 12 hour solo races.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Decathlon ones are worth the cash at £10 or whatever.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

DeFeet Merino Kneekers FTW. Good length. Stay up without silicone.

Have Lusso and Endura as well – some short/warmer combos don’t work so well but overall essential kit.

big_scot_nanny

I have endura ones, and they are great. use them all winter on the commute, they do bunch a a little bit behind the knees after a long ride, but they are indispensible.

Kev

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Knee warmers. Are any of them any good?’ is closed to new replies.