Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • KMC split link removal
  • andybrad

Ok guys any tips. Ive just being trying to get the chain off and what ive previously seem to be an effortless procedure on a group ride has turned into a 15min swear fest with myself.

I can get then links to move slightly but i just can not get them to unclick. any tips?

stimpy
    Free Member
    sparkingchains
    Free Member

Often the way, I use a little set of pliers in one hand and the chain link (being pushed together with fingers) in other hand. Never bother taking pliers on a ride mind

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Just to clarify – pliers inside links that is – parallel to chain

andybrad

ok looks like im calling in the shop on the way home. And heres me thinking it would be a 30 second job. Balls!

jamiep
    Free Member

This £6 tool makes opening and closing links a breeze, even 10-speed links

zilog6128

9 speed are fine, I’ve always found 10 speed a complete **** though! So I got a special tool like ^^^^ above, much less stressful!

Northwind

I always find it easier to push the chain rather than the links, if you see what I mean. Helps to squeeze the links together (side to side) if you’ve got enough fingers spare.

Oh, also, see if it’s got 2 quicklinks in it! I was having a mare with one last night til I noticed a second one, it was nice and easy. Probably the other one hasn’t been undone for ages.

neilthewheel

Another tip: Put the chain on the big ring and wind the crank until the split link is over the front of the ring. Now, from the bottom, work one extra link onto the chainring, making one link “bulge” away from the ring. Move this slack up the teeth until the link that is bulging is the split link. Now tap the sticking-up end of the split link with a mallet. The split link is trapped between the mallet and the chain ring and should undo.
    A diagram would be easier but I don’t have one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 buy the pliers

globalti
    Free Member

Squeezing the sides together works but not with new, unworn chains.

tang
    Free Member

I hate kmc links, wipperman/SRAM I can deal with.

kcal

I can often manage to prise them apart (except on the trail, under pressure!) – usually find trying to force the chain together, while wiggled the chain laterally, has some success.

It’s one of the few things I can manage better than my chap in the LBS..

oh, and get the pliers for at least home use ..

IHN

Wipperman every time. Elegant design that works flawlessly.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ditched the KMC links and put SRAM ones in, much better 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

The £6 pliers jamiep links to above are great, I use KMC 10speed links and they save any messing about.

matther01
    Free Member

Stiff paper clip and two small allen keys when out riding

+1 pliers at home

andybrad

ended up going to vs cycles in Brighouse and getting some pliers on the way home…

Shock though the guy in the shop was smiling!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

As others have said, bin the KMC/SRAM links and get a Wippermann Connex link and never look back.

zangolin
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    Wipperman every time. Elegant design that works flawlessly.

+1
    never a problem undoing.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘KMC split link removal’ is closed to new replies.