• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • King or Hope BB
  • swavis

I’m looking to upgrade from the crappy Shimano and Race Face BB’s I’ve been using and wondered what opinions were on King and Hope ones.
    I’ve seen the King for about £90 and the SS Hope for about £70, but the King comes in green which I’d rather like, but that’s only a wee bonus, reliability is my main concern.
    Cheers 🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

You may also want to look at the Pace BB – cheaper too I think. I’m considering the same options!

willej

I’ve got the Pace one. It’s been in for 3 rides so can’t comment on longevity yet but it’s very well made and, like the King, the grease injection capability is a winner.

singlespeedstu

I went for king.

All bb’s will suck dirt in but with a king it’s so easy to just purge the dirt out and replace with fresh grease.

Got three of them now and as the bb’s on my other bikes die they’ll be replaced with kings too.

z1ppy

I kept looking at the Pace one (especially when on offer), but reports one here say they suck badly… personally I’ll be sticking with cheap and cheerful shimano BB’s for now..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Acros stainless steel.

swavis

I didn’t realise Pace did one 😳

*Off to google Pace BB*

Swalsey
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    I kept looking at the Pace one (especially when on offer), but reports one here say they suck badly… personally I’ll be sticking with cheap and cheerful shimano BB’s for now..

Interesting, would you mind giving a link please? I’ve missed those discussions!

z1ppy

To be fair I’ve asked quite a few times and got little or no response, except for Woody2K’s thought:s

A serious un-impressed Woody2000

willej

Just read and posted a response to that thread ^^^

Big-Pete
    Free Member

4 kings here. You will of course need the injector tool

Toombsy
    Free Member

arcos ceramic, had on current good weather bike for 3 years, never serviced

Swalsey
    Free Member

Cheers Z1ppy – I think that’s myself put off…

They really need to talk to Hope about testing and customer service. I don’t think Hope are THE best products, but they are the company I buy from!

swavis

Hmmm, I think I’ll give the Pace a wide berth then.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been running a CK BB on my 405 in the Peak, mostly, and it’s survived for over two years – which is unheard of for me – and a lot of riding in all conditions and still running smooth [hang on, checks, yep…]

It’s not quite all roses and halos though. I’ve got the grease injection tool and use it every six weeks or so, unfortunately the bearings have developed an irritating tendency to dismantle themselves, viz, the inner race just comes off and, on a couple of occasions, I’ve had to collect renegade ball bearings off the kitchen floor and put them back where they belong.

I don’t know if the axle on my cranks is slightly corroded and more ‘attached’ to the race than it ought to be or if something’s out of tolerance or if it’s a common fault and I suppose, if I could be arsed, I’d query it with the CK importer, but mostly they still work and being able to purge the grease with or without the tool – you can just pop off the seals and use a grease gun directly if you have to, but the grease injector tool is a neater solution.

A friend using a Hope in similar conditions has been through, I think, around three sets of bearings in the same time and with less riding, the stainless ones if that’s any help.

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

hope use standard british size bearings if i remeber correctly, same with headsets, so buy hope and then if the bearings go, replace them with fag bearings, probably the best bearings available. just a thought me and a friend had when choosing headsets.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I fitted a CK 15 months ago still very very smooth, my Hope which has been ridden for 5 months is gritty…both ridden in all sorts of British/welsh weather 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve a Hope on the HT, still silky after a year of gloop.

swavis

Look’s like be it’s going the King then.
    Cheers all 😀

daveells
    Free Member

King is good,I neglected mine for a year without grease :oops:still goin now 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Get the king if you plan on being diligent enough to regrease it as part of routine maintenance.

If not, save your cash and get the hope or Acros.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

swavis – doing all the bikes? That’ll be pricey 😆

MSP

mmmmmm Phil Woods BB

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘King or Hope BB’ is closed to new replies.