Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kilbo path Vs Capel mounth
  • fergal
    Free Member

Which would you choose, for a first timer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i assume you mean first time in the area as oppose to first time on a bike…..

both have their merits

I personally love the kilbo HOWEVER its very tech at the top (unless they have sanitised it)

The capel mounth is just real nice and flowey – very different trails imo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden either since the STW meet, oh, must be about 8 years ago?….

Keen to go back as I never did myself justice on Kilbo, and don’t have a huge recollection of Capel Mounth!.

So, tick.

Shackleton

Kilbo is rocky tech at the top and good rocky flow through the trees. Were you planning on going up Corrie Fee (big carry) or over by Glen Prosen (big slog along Glen prosen and up Kilbo path but fun, flowy DH from Clova over to Prosen)?

Capel Mounth is OK, feels like a big outing even though it isn’t really. The Capel road up to Capel Mounth is really, really, really tedious though. I remember the views being better from the Capel Mounth route, particularly if you take the diversion up to Broad Cairn.

Both are 100% rideable on the downs.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah, first time in the area, just wanted to sample some of the best the area has to offer. Can’t believe Capel mounth has slipped under the radar for so long, it’s in the wild trails, so dismissed it.

PS. cheers for that Shackleton, thinking corrie fee, watched a vid of the Capel mounth descent, it looks really good.

birky
    Free Member

If it’s the Glen Doll, Bachnagairn, Loch Muick, Capel Mounth route have a look here
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bachnagairn-bridge

poltheball
    Free Member

No experience of Capel, but I’ve done Kilbo several times. I’ve approached from both Prosen and Clova, and it’s definitely a quicker ride/more accessible from Clova. Park in the Glen Doll carpark, ride up to Corrie Fee, climb the corrie backwall enjoying the cracking views, have a bite to eat on top of Mayar with a smashing view, fire across and top Driesh if you can be bothered, then blast down Kilbo. As has been mentioned, techy while you follow of the side of the Shank of Drumfollow, but so, so satisfying when you nail it. Ride through the forest at the bottom is brilliant. By far my favourite natural ride so far!

FYI it’s about a 2 hour ride if you don’t stop, 2.5hr if you enjoy the view from the top Strava link

fergal
    Free Member

Again thanks for the input, planning on taking in the tops, not sure how much snow is still up there, next settled spell this is definately on the cards.

wiz74

Did Capel Mounth a few weeks ago – was a bit optimistic re: snow as there was a fair bit in the north facing / sheltered aspects of the paths above 5-600m and that was before winter returned to Scotland over the past week or two! Not suggesting don’t do it, just be prepared for the potential of a trudge through the snow at points!

We didn’t know the bridge was out but managed to cross the river upstream of where the bridge was. Better to follow the diversion as posted above though. The amount of debris left by the river when it washed away the bridge is significant.

Corrie Fee could be tricky with snow due to it being sheltered and north facing.

maddyutah

having done both,both good but would recommend capel mounth especially if descending corrie chash-
    park at glen doll
    up track past moulzie onto bachnagarn then push up hill to shed they store feed in
    then descend corie chash this is cracker ,down to loch muick,arond loch clockwise (there is singletrack on southside of loch that will get you the base of capel climb,did ages ago cant remember what it was like) to base of capel mouth track up and then descend,(good descent) back to glen doll car park

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kilbo path Vs Capel mounth’ is closed to new replies.