Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kids bike gearing
  • D0NK

Our youngest has finally got his balance sorted and started cycling, he’s still about 6months younger than his brother was when he started on the same bike. Youngest appears to be struggling setting off and keeping moving on the flat. Down gentle slopes he’s motoring but on the flat he gradually winds down to a stall. I’ve no idea if he’s still a bit young and lacking in strength, lazy, or the gearing is too high. Pretty sure his brother didn’t have trouble on this bike but like I said he was about 6months older

So does anyone know what sort of gear inches I should be looking at? (5year old on a 20″ wheeled bike) dunno what’s on there now, I assume it’s something reasonable for kids.

Just need to know whether to get a bigger freewheel or introduce him to rules 10 and 5.

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t worry, he will get stronger. Just be sure to feed him plenty of Shreddies.

D0NK

Yeah patience. Thing is we’re doing school run by bike reasonably regularly and I keep having to give him a shove, not ideal – the more often we’re close together the more chance of clipping each other – this has already happened once.

midlifecrashes

Assuming the bike is OK, he’ll pedal if he wants to.

Have you checked the bike though, everything spinning freely? There are some odd ideas passing as bearings on kids bikes.

pictonroad

Gearing on some kids bikes is very high, if he can’t pedal it then surely it’s too high for him, the reasons/variables are largely immaterial.

D0NK

Bike seems fine wheels/pedals/cranks spin freely, brakes aren’t rubbing.

if he can’t pedal it then surely it’s too high for him

can’t or won’t is the question. Probably going to swap the freewheel but wanted an idea of what is a good gear to aim for – and whether it’s close to that already. He can be lazy (always moans about walking anywhere) and he’s also stick thin, so not sure if apathy/feebleness are factors.

I did raise the saddle a bit (was set for learning, both feet pretty much flat on the floor while seated), which definitely helped, could raise it more but then he’d struggle to get his feet on the ground while seated.

Duc
    Free Member

go for te thinnest tyres you can if its mechanically sound as that will lower the gearing and make “pick up” easier

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS if ever a thread needed rule 5 stating it is this one

RULE 5
    You can escalate it to no pudding as well if you like

I dont recall mine struggling with it tbh but it was a while ago
    Assume just patience getting used to it not being lazy etc

tom200

Bmx tyres and an expander cog freewheel (shimano mega tooth 13/34)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kids bike gearing’ is closed to new replies.