Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Kia Sportage
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Spent the morning car shopping with the wife as she wants a new motor.

Looked at CX5, Tucson, Kuga, Sportage, IX35, various Jeepses, Qashquai, X-Trail

I liked the Kuga Ti TDCI for her but she wasn’t keen. For me the Kuga was the best to drive, everything else just totally uninspiring.

She liked the Sportage and seems pretty keen on it. I also looked at a i45 estate – she said it was a “cheap reps car”…. ??

So before she goes ahead and picks the Sportage… Anything else out there worth considering? I wanted turbo diesel but petrol rules the roost here and not much diesel motors around.

Any Sportage horror stories? Probs gonna be a 2015 SI model in auto/petrol.

DickBarton

Apparently the newer model can’t tow such a large weight, so if you caravan, bear that in mind. I like the look of it, it is meant to be a very nice car.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Try the Renault Kadjar, same engines, mechanics and floorpan as the Qashquai but cheaper, a bigger boot and IMO better to look at and not as common as the Nissan. Got the 1.5 dci but they do petrol and 4wd as well.
    Getting about 51mpg on mine. Good equipment levels and nicely built.

darrell
    Free Member

CX5 is best in safety

alledgedly

stox
    Free Member

Ford have another SUV – the Edge? don’t know much about it but looks nice on the advert.

Yeti
    Volvo XC60
    VW Tiguan
    Fiat 500x
    CRV
    Rav 4

craigxxl
    Free Member

Work colleague had one, 100% reliable mechanically but trim and body work were another matter and needed quite a bit of warranty work which seemed to be a constant fight to get anything done. She loved the way it drove but the couple of times I drove it I found it vague and dull to drive.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a 2014 carens which is the same mechanicals as a sportage. Never missed a beat, 1.7 diesel. Drives a bit dull but its a family car. I get 50 -55 mpg. Interior plastics a bit cheap, air con powerful as I live in spain. Loads of hidden storage pockets.

I would get another having looked at your list. Its cheap as chips, would have got a sportage but I wanted 7 seats and more space. 7 year warranty too.

taxis use them here so must be reliable.

footflaps

Wife works for Kia and we must have had about 12 different Sportages as company cars (new one every 3 months). Excellent cars to drive, can’t fault them myself. No horror stories that I’ve heard (she deals with warranty claims from 17 dealers), so no known gotchas.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as you, with the CX5 top in my wife’s opinion so far. However, all the reviews out now say the new Seat Ateca is the one to go for and we’ve literally just returned from having a look at one this morning in our local dealer. They’re not out yet officially but there is one touring the country at the moment before the launch next month. It seemed very nice ( no test drives allowed yet as the car was left hand drive) and apparently drives more like a car than its competitors. Nice looking, pretty upmarket interior and good choice of specs and engines. We’re putting off buying anything until we’ve had a proper drive in the Seat.

We don’t like diesels generally and there is a good 150ps 1.4 petrol engine that looks like a great choice, especially compared to the 2.0 in the CX5.

bruneep

I have the 2.0 crdi. In 3 yrs it’s had under warranty 9 new, well refurbished alloys as they keep corroding. A new sunroof as it was noisy at front passenger side.

And I’ve bought 2 front wiper blades as the standard issue one were shit.

I’m getting new 1.7 diesel end of October.

I like it.

Kryton57

You lot are lucky. I’m mentally doing the same research to replace our 8yo Kuga but all my wife wants is a Mini Countryman 🙁

Another albeit more expensive option OP is the new Disco Sport Evoque replacement. It’s supposed to be very good.

poolman
    Free Member

I got the Base level one so no alloys or sunroof. In fact I was having it serviced the other day so had a look at the new sportage, with panoramic glass you lose a lot of headroom. Also in the back the window is quite high so it’s a bit dark back there.

For a Base spec you still get Bluetooth air con tyre sensors, good air con but it’s not splittable or climate control, just 4 levels.

I think kia have a good range, would never have bought one before but a friend had one and looked at the prices, lots of car for not much money.

Bregante

Bluetooth air con tyre sensors

I have no idea what this is for but I now need it in my next car.

prawny

We looked at Sportages as part of our ongoing quest. Reliability wise they appear to be solid, we had an i30 a couple of years ago and that was similarly trouble free.

Bit vague to drive though, and the interior on the old one was a bit plain, can’t afford one of the newer ones so can’t comment on them.

CountZero

Ford have another SUV – the Edge? don’t know much about it but looks nice on the advert.

I’ve seen one in a Ford dealership, and it isn’t small and compact! It’s based on an American platform, and it looks significantly larger than the Kuga.
    I’ve driven 3 Qashqai, 2 Kuga and 1 Mokka so far, but no Sportage as yet so I can’t make any judgement, but I did like the Kuga and the Mokka, I especially like the Mokka’s styling*, it’s a very nice car to drive, and there does seem to be shitloads of them around at the moment, one house I walked past on my way home today had two parked outside!
    The new Mokka X is well specced, full adaptive LED headlights as an option, off-road downhill control, like Range Rover have, an entertainment system that uses the Apple/Android car-play system to link with phone apps, German ergonomic seats…
    I found the Mokka to drive more confidently that the Qashqai, about the same as the Kuga, but they had more powerful Diesel engines, 160 and 180ps, the Mokka was nearer 115/120.
    I’ve only driven one Kia so far, a Cee’d, and it had the least comfortable seats after an extended drive, if that counts for anything.
    *I’m afraid I’m rather shallow like that, if I was going to buy a new car, not only does it have to be comfy to sit in for several hours, and drive well, but I actually have to like the way it looks. 😀

andy4d

Had my sportage for over a year now. 1.7 tdi and very happy with it. No problems so far. It is a wee bit thirsty though when you get over 60mph. Fits my bike in the back nicely thankyou very much.

CountZero

By one of those spooky coincidences, my last car pickup tomorrow is a Sportage, a 1.6 diesel, not sure about the ‘box, but as it’s an ex-Motability car it’ll probably be an auto. Picking it up from Newport, driving it home then taking it up to Altrincham to a dealer. Going to be a total of around four hours driving, so I’ll be finding out just how comfy the seats are, at least!

chestrockwell

Isn’t the Mokka smaller than the others? Also, Top Gear mag said they were god awful and I found them to be right about all the cars I tested.

FWIW we have had a Kuga for a couple of years and it has been faultless.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Are you getting a 4WD version?
    Otherwise get an estate car instead, more space and more fuel efficient.
    Nothing (other than a man bag or run/walking a marathon) makes you look quite as stupid as being stuck in the snow in a 2WD version of a SUV.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Have you seen the new Skoda Kodiaq SUV? It’s due to be out soon

footflaps

Nothing (other than a man bag or run/walking a marathon) makes you look quite as stupid as being stuck in the snow in a 2WD version of a SUV.

On that one day a year when we get snow in England…

Coyote
    Free Member

Just had a Skoda Yeti as a rental in Spain. Very nice car.

FuzzyWuzzy

My Dad’s just got one of those and it’s mahoosive, much bigger than the options the OP mentions

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Fifeandy…. Snow? Not likely. I’m in Oz!

I know that a tourer / estate would gave polrobanly more room and be more fuel efficient. Wife likes them. Likes the driving position a feels safer. No amount of talking to or persuasion will make her feel safer in a car that’s ‘lower down’.

Me, I’d get an Octavia estate in diesel. Not my call though.

richmtb

Had a brand new Sportage recently as a hire car.

Nice enough to sit in, plenty of toys. Handles like a van though.

Personally if i was after a car with a bit more space I’d have a small estate. I just don’t understand the need for having the driving position of a Transit with the handling to go with it

fifeandy
    Free Member

Fifeandy…. Snow? Not likely. I’m in Oz!

Ahh, i should be so lucky.

No amount of talking to or persuasion will make her feel safer in a car that’s ‘lower down’.

Well if safety is the name of the game why not go the whole hog!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Check that she is not favouring the Kia because she mistakenly thinks that it is a premium brand !!!

Would be a bummer to accept all those compromises and then find out later that it isn’t.

Sitting up high in something with dodgy handling is not my idea of something desirable.

CountZero

Top Gear reviewed an early version of the Mokka, Vauxhall responded by making upgrades very quickly, apparently.
    I was impressed with the way the one I drove handled, it just felt more nimble and composed than the Qashqai, but not quite up there with the Kuga, but the Mokka was a bit overshadowed by the Kuga engine-wise anyway, one was 160bhp, the other 180, compared to somewhere around 110-115.
    Anyway, back to the main subject. Picked up the Sportage in Newport, it’s a petrol, with 6-speed manual ‘box.
    The motor is smooth, and revs willingly, and it’s very comfy, but that’s it as far as the positives are concerned.
    The handling, or steering, I should say, is horrible, it feels like the steering wheel is connected to the front wheels with elastomers, you constantly have to keep correcting it, it feels exactly like you’re driving with a very strong side wind, and I kept checking the trees to see if it was windy, but there was no noticeable leaf movement.
    Also there was an annoying knocking noise from the nearside rear passenger door, and significant wind noise around the driver’s door window, like the seal is defective.
    The car has done 2700 miles…
    That was a 47 mile drive, around an hour, and I’ve got a three hour, 180-odd mile journey in it tomorrow, and I’m honestly not looking forward to it.
    I drove a VW Up! From Bristol to Newport this morning, and it’s a far superior car, it was quiet, it felt solid on the road, and it handled beautifully, I’d happily drive it 200 miles.

footflaps

The car has done 2700 miles…
    That was a 47 mile drive, around an hour, and I’ve got a three hour, 180-odd mile journey in it tomorrow, and I’m honestly not looking forward to it.

Sounds like one duff car.

I’ve driven 1000s of miles in 12 of more different Sportages and really like driving them.

As for having to correct steering, did that model have Lane Assistance on it? It will correct the steering to stay in the middle of the lane, which feels odd until you realise what it’s doing. NB If you indicate it switches off. On a quite motorway I never bother to indicate when changing lane, so just switch Lane Assistance off.

chestrockwell

Top Gear reviewed an early version of the Mokka, Vauxhall responded by making upgrades very quickly, apparently.

That may be the case but they still say it’s mince.

antigee

Snow? Not likely. I’m in Oz!

so are we and went skiing at the weekend 8) –

Kia Sorento 4wd great in the snow

but it was shite in the summer when the aircon went when it was 40degs – dealer ok on warranty repair (6months old) – but no compressor in Aus’ and none available anywhere???!! – very vague “probably 4 weeks” with a shoulder shrug and “parts won’t tell us anything if i ring” – eventually was 8 weeks – after 2 weeks and no firm date on parts availability it took detective work and personal emails and phone calls to head of SE Asia customer services to get a courtesy car – not much courtesy the guy at the dealers just handed me the keys without a word – stuff goes wrong but not impressed

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh so you’re one of them Eastener’s then? :p

No snow in WA that would require 4WD.

I’m trying to get her to look at other things. Kia Optima (nah boot goes too far back, I’ll have to reach for shopping. PLUS it looks like a “DAD” car). And not even a hint of interest when I showed her a 2015 that was 6k cheaper than the Sportage (OK – it’s Sport-aaj isn’t it? The dealers say Sportij????)

Also showed her a Golf 1.4 TSI which has done 1000 km’s, in budget, and I think would be prefect…. “Nope. Dad car”

I might just go and buy a dual cab Amarok ute and be done with it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

i40 Tourer?

fifeandy
    Free Member

i40 Tourer?

Funnily enough, I was looking at SUV’s, but ended up with one of these – a better fit for my needs.

I like mine a lot. Not the most exciting drive in the world, but not helped in my case by the skinny tyres on the blue drive version. LOADS of space, road bikes can go in boot with both wheels on, long enough to take a 29er with wheels on, but handlebars are too wide for the roof clearance. Front wheel off, then no problem.
    Very civilised and comfortable, certainly a long way removed from Hyundai’s earlier offerings

Over the 3.5yrs i’ve had it, has needed parking sensors, rear camera and fuel filter replacing, but all done under warranty with no fuss.

antigee

“I might just go and buy a dual cab Amarok ute and be done with it.”

well you’d have somewhere outside to put the dog

i40 Tourer?

driven the i30 station wagon/tourer a fair bit and is well spec’d car with space out back – round these parts hyundai’s seem to be replacing toyota’s as the choice for reliability

Rockape63
    Free Member
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

Probably go test a couple more cars tomorrow without the missus.

2015 Kia optima 2.4 with 20k is 19k (aud)
    2014 Hyundai i40 is 22k lots of stock from around 20k kms
    2015 Golf TSI (1.4 petrol with turbo) around 1000kms is 23k.

Any optima owners? Might be better in the long run as will have more new car warranty?

Well be changing it again in 4 years probs which is why I don’t want to rush, or be rushed into a sale at the car lot.

CountZero

I’ve driven 1000s of miles in 12 of more different Sportages and really like driving them.

As for having to correct steering, did that model have Lane Assistance on it? It will correct the steering to stay in the middle of the lane, which feels odd until you realise what it’s doing. NB If you indicate it switches off. On a quite motorway I never bother to indicate when changing lane, so just switch Lane Assistance off.
    I honestly have no idea, it’s not something I’m familiar with, and frankly not something I’d have time to sus out even if I knew the vehicle had it fitted.
    My job involves turning up at a BCA (British Car Auctions) hub, or a dealer, or private residence, appraising a vehicle and producing a report, taking the keys and driving it to a specified destination.
    So far I’ve driven between two and four vehicles every day, anywhere between thirty and two hundred miles, and I have so far yet to drive a single vehicle that I’m in any way familiar with. Each appraisal should take no more than thirty minutes, so I literally have to take each car as it comes, and no fannying around!
    A car I drove to Newport yesterday had the next driver waiting for me at 7am, another I picked up to deliver to a dealer the sales girl had already sold and was waiting for, so I just don’t have the time to check out things like that.
    Yesterday I had a Corsa overnight, then a VW Up!, followed by a BMW 330D, then the Sportage.
    I’ve had 3.5 ton Transit builder’s trucks, Smart fourtwo, Jaguar XF, Audi A6, Golf GTD, so there’s huge variety, and I’m loving every minute of it, there’s no stress involved unlike my last job.
    The Sportage may well have had that facility, it did feel very odd, and I was very glad to get shot of it, but I wasn’t impressed with it as a car, the materials were cheap, hard plastic in the doors, and on the dash, it just didn’t feel solid, although it was quiet on smooth road surfaces.
    I was honestly more impressed with the Up!, a great little car, and I think I’d rather drive that 256 miles, TBH!
    Regarding the Mokka, judging by the sheer numbers that I’m seeing on the road, nobody has bothered paying any attention to Top Gear’s review, and why should they, they are pretty biased after all.
    I honestly enjoyed driving it, I had zero preconceptions about it, as I had never seen any review in any publication, neither had I seen any review of the Qashqai, the Kuga or the Sportage, so my opinion is based totally on getting into a car cold, having to sus out where everything is, (an issue in itself when trying to figure out how to open the filler cap, on some cars), and driving it, so it’s as honest as you can get.
    I did have to ask the owner of the Jag XF how you got the dash info to show, though; I didn’t know you have to press and hold down the stop/start button to bring up all the functions, before starting.
    Every day is indeed a school day! 😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Local Ford dealer has ex demo 2015 focus s for $20k (aud) so 12k in gbp. 14k kms on clock. Showed one to the missus and she likes it. 6 speed auto, sports clutch, sat nav and reverse camera, 9 spkr stereo drives quite nice. Looks a go er

prawny

My leased 2014 Focus has just gone back, it was great for the couple of years that I had it. Comfy, well specced and good to drive. Just a bit small now for a family of 4. Didn’t have a single issue with it in the time I had it.

If it’s big enough for you I’d go for it, if we needed a second car I’d have probably bought it off the lease company.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Kia Sportage’ is closed to new replies.