Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Kevin McCloud’s shed
  • Harry_the_Spider

Does Kev really hang out with blokes like that? It looked like he was building his shed with The Levellers.

He did seem to be enjoying himself though drinking single malt from the bottle by the light of a sh1t fuelled Tilley Lamp after hard day dynamiting trees.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Liking it so far – a bit of “put your money where your mouth is” type thing for Mr Mc.
    I’m not too sure about the message they seem to be putting across with the ‘temporary building’ dodge – building the shed in a trailer that is sunk into the ground – and then saying that it’s ‘got to last hundreds of years’! There again they’d probably never got planning for a perm structure.

The tilley lamp looked awefull and I bet he has an LED system in there in the end. Blowing up the trunks was cool.

LoCo
    Free Member

Quite good, wtf was going on with that mini?
    😯

TooTall
    Free Member

I was 50/50 by the end of it.

Really liked the ethos of it (despite him building a shed and not a home/house) the ‘materials from the site’ as much as possible. Blowing up timber was good as well.

REALLY didn’t like the whole biodiesel-from-the-sewers bit. Whilst interesting, it was a whole world away from the ethos pitched at the start – in the sewers of London, then off to Bath to bang it through oodles of chemicals and processes to then produce a few cups of the stuff.

Overall, some good bits but a bit of a River Cottage/Dick Strawbridge love-in for architects. The animations bugged the crap out of me as well.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Those “mates” were hired from the same agency that Hugh FW and Jamie Oliver get their TV chums from.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I loved it but the sh!t fuel was odd. Why not use solar? or wind? I would like to buy a little wood somewhere and do something similar; one day 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

double post

elzorillo
    Free Member

Those “mates” were hired from the same agency that Hugh FW and Jamie Oliver get their TV chums from.

+1 Cringeworthy

wonnyj
    Free Member

just a bit of fun

Marko

Utter tosh!

Flagrant breech of planning regulations. I hope the local planning officer sees that and asks him to move it to prove it is a portable building.

And don’t get me started on all that ‘local recycled materials’ crap.

. . . And . . .And Stop friking repeating yourself after each advert break.

Marko

meehaja
    Free Member

pretty sure one of the hippy mates was Louie Theroux? In the bowler hat hiding at the back? Nice Idea for a show, but yeah bio diesel is hardly a local product!

binners

I want to blow trees up too 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

I loved it. Brought the bloke into life after all his pointy finger waving in his other programmes.
    His Mates were Ace in my book, proper salt of the earth dependable types, you could go far with mates like that.

I like the fact he’s flouting planning, nowt wrong with that, good on him. Thought chopping the trees down was a bit too far but he did say thats his plan, to make a shed out of the trees..

Proper hobbyist and ingenius.

9/10 and shall be watching them all.

slackman99
    Free Member

My favourite was at the start when he said he wanted to use materials all from his woods, and not go to B&Q and buy bits.

20mins later his shed was covered in Tyvek and Rockwool. I doubt Du Pont have their factory based in his small woods!

I’m also always interested in how the presenter benefits on this kind of programme as I don’t believe for a second all his ‘mates’ work or offer their services for free, and yet he gets his shed built on C4’s money! Come and sort my house out and i’ll ramble on about the view and organic materials while a load of my ‘mates’ work 🙂

maxtorque

Was anyone else playing the “spot the people who have been on Scrapheap Challenge years ago” game???

Once a bodger, always a bodger……………. 😉

maccruiskeen

I’m also always interested in how the presenter benefits on this kind of programme as I don’t believe for a second all his ‘mates’ work or offer their services for free, and yet he gets his shed built on C4’s money!

C4 doesn’t actually make any tv directly – their remit is to work 100% with independent production companies. So long and they get the programme they want they won’t be too interested in how the money is spent. And C4 staff themselves aren’t averse to the odd perk, I could tell you a story………… 😉

miketually
    Free Member

It made me want to build a cabin in the garden. Therefore, it did its job.

muddyground
    Free Member

Lot of oddness going on there, as if Kev was tripping big style whilst on his plot. Bet he goes to Glasto every year and goes native.

Found about 20 min.s of it OK, rest just a bit pointless; like we’re all going into the sewers to make bio are we? And we all have mates that can make a Mini / Land Rover hybrid. Was that a cool car or just a heap?

Love his other stuff, but this was all a bit Clarkson/River Cottage/Rich ex-army bloke with bizarre moustache buying acres of land and “wondering why we don’t all jack it all in” for me.

miketually
    Free Member

So, who wants a thermic lance now?

hora
    Free Member

I honestly didn’t see the point/direction the programme was supposed to be making. Little elements were good however why is it soo **** small and the programme so LONG about a tiny lame building.

He came from grand designs and it seems he has none himself. just a gardening shed for urine-loving Hermits in a boggy field, non-descript field.

miketually
    Free Member

I honestly didn’t see the point/direction the programme was supposed to be making.

As I saw it: “Go into your garden and make/burn/do stuff.”

TooTall
    Free Member

“Go into your garden and make/burn/do stuff.”

Which would have been fine. But to paint it with ‘recycle, local etc’ was pish. Dicking about with metal and stuff – yes. Putting more energy than it took to make the safe in order to make it a stove? Silly to try and badge it as upcycling with any ethos other than his is the only one. Last night’s show annoyed me a bit more than the first one.

soma_rich
    Free Member

The glass window was a bit good though 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I think it’d work REALLY well as a sauna in your garden.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I found it odd that all the chat about recycling, making the stove out of an old safe, the fuel for the tilley lamps etc, then go an burn off how much propane to make glass for the windows? Was worth it though IMO.

But I guess it is a mixture of recycling and bodging but he should acknowledge this a bit more and stop banging on about being “off grid” as if this adds all the trendy green/vegan/hippy/tree huggin points he needs.

Too much filler for my liking but that was probably down to the commissioning editor and not wur Kev.

Klunk
    Free Member

that thermic lance was a waste of time. a portable magnetic clamping milling machine would have got through that quite easily and left a much better finish. Yes if it was a bank heist and in a hurry.

Klunk
    Free Member

cheese floor eh ? how about cheese trails ?

muddyground
    Free Member

Got bored half way through and turned off. Don’t really see the point of it to be honest, other than to milk Channel 4 of their commissioning fees, so good luck to our Kev there. He got some wood off his plot in the first prog, but since then there’s been nothing off-grid about it has there. Expected more to be honest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I thought it was all a bit dubious.

“I’m going to make it ALL with stuff from this wood and stuff I’ve recycled.”

Right, so where did that BRAND NEW steel used to extend the trailer chassis come from and why did you roll it onto about 5 tonne of limestone scalps/type 1? Because that came from a quarry and you paid for it to be delivered sunshine!

I thought it was a bit of a con really. Not seen the second one yet though. We’ll se

BobaFatt
    Free Member

now I really like programmes like this but didn’t know it was on. Is this in the same vein as “The Boat Guy Built”? I see it’s available on 4OD

TooTall
    Free Member

It has a Ginger Guy in it – I guess the original one was unavilable so they got Ginger Guy from the Guy Martin / Hugh F-W / Dick Strawbridge sidekick box they keep over at Channel 4 somewhere.

miketually
    Free Member

So, who’s planning on running a rubber hose from their toilet to a tank in the garden?

qwerty
    Free Member

I like it, but i think his inspiration came from Ben Law.

Murray

Not me, I couldn’t stand it after 5 minutes so watched Gremlins 2 instead. G2 was a far better thought out programme.

konabunny
    Free Member

like we’re all going into the sewers to make bio are we? And we all have mates that can make a Mini / Land Rover hybrid.

You’d rather have watched a programme about a guy choosing between N Power and EDF?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Stop friking repeating yourself after each advert break

+1

Otherwise, its sunday night TV fun. Top Gear without Clarkson if you will. Top Gear has metaphorical shit, Kev has the real stuff. 🙂

Love the fact he shot, skinned and tanned a deer with its own brain on TV. Not for the squeamish, but if you don’t like that, you ought to be a veggie.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

double-post

ir_bandito
    Free Member

triple-post!!!

AlexSimon

I’ve only seen the first one, but they should stop with the ‘eco/sustainable’ angle.

The chainsaws, the portable saw mill, the explosives, the tractor, the use of what looked like new steel in the foundation, etc.

It might end up being a nicely crafted cabin, but there are plenty of better eco examples around.

simonbea
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the show, but as mentioned it’s not quite as successful as it sets out. In the previous episode they were making a ‘cheese’ floor for it but in last nights show it was a timber floor, did I miss something on that or did the cheese fail miserably? Internally the walls look like it is clad in Plywood sheets too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Kevin McCloud’s shed’ is closed to new replies.