Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Kayaking / wildcamping in scotland
  • scraprider
    Free Member

As per title im coming up to Scotland on me hols looking to do some kayaking at loch Lomond and hoped to wild camp for a nite but have been told that this is now not possible , has anyone got any experience or info they may like to let me have I would be indeed be very gratfull.

matt_outandabout

Most of west Loch Lomond has a local byelaw against camping. Too many people wrecking the place…
    Choose another Loch – Awe or Etive are ace for a paddle and camp.

markyboy
    Free Member

Think its only the east side you cant camp on.drove up the west side today and saw a few tents on the beach.

scotroutes

+1

Truth is, you’ll have no problem finding a wee spot for the night if you are further north than Rowardennan. The byelaw was introduced because too many folk were turning up in their cars and trashing the place.

markyboy
    Free Member
    cbike
    Free Member

As a local, I’d avoid loch lomond unless its winter. You might get peace on the islands when the schools go back or during the week – you might not.

Yes – Loch Etive, Loch sween, Loch Moidart (Might get followed by richard bransons brother in law?) , Sunart or Melfort are all relatively undiscovered. Loch Maree is excellent. Loch and River affric also nice.

See song of the paddle.co.uk for more info.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

We’re thinking of doing the same inSeptember (Loch Maree possibly)but hopefully for 4 nights. Ths will be the first time we’ve done anything like this before and I’m struggling to put together a list of essentials. Anyone who has done this sort of thing before who could offer some advice. We are really looking for a complete escape from everything so comfort is bottom of the agenda, adventure and solitude are priorities really.

athgray
    Free Member

Has anyone kayaked across Loch Maree and gone up ben Lair? Worthwhile expedition?

matt_outandabout

Maree is lovely, not been up the hill. Look on song of the paddle for inspiration! Too many years since I was there.
    Find out about a couple of islands to avoid locally at times (usually nesting season).

cbike
    Free Member

Take what you think you need. Then Halve it. That’s what you actually need. Don’t skimp on Safety and navigation, midge repellent waterproofs etc.

I can fit everything in a 28 litre drybag for one. Tent in its own drybag. on a sit on top. For big dinners there are loads of chippies/hotels you can visit every so often and toilets and showers at marinas are handy.

Just do it!

keep an eye out for the floating polystyrene islands on Loch Maree. They might freak you out.

khani
    Free Member

We’ve just spent two weeks kayaking and biking in and around Loch Awe, we rented a cottage but we saw a few people wild camping on the edge of the loch and no one seemed to be bothered,
    Lovely it was as well..
    [sigh]..

scraprider
    Free Member

excelent info every one many thanks, really looking forward to going now 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers for the info (sorry for hijacking thread OP). In regards to Loch Maree what would you suggest is the safest place to park and leave the car for 5 days? Been trying to google map/ street view spots but a bit tricky to work out where is a good spot. I was hoping there would be a small hamlet somewhere but can’t seem to find one.

scotroutes

The owner of the Loch Maree Hotel is very friendly and will likely let you park there and launch from the wee jetty. He also has up-to-date info on which islands should be avoided.

Bear in mind that we are now hitting stalking season so any visits ashore should be checked with the local estates.

peterfile
    Free Member

Cheers for the info (sorry for hijacking thread OP). In regards to Loch Maree what would you suggest is the safest place to park and leave the car for 5 days?

I was up that way for about 5 days last week. Someone left a bike resting against the wall near a pub for a few days, your car should be ok provided it’s not causing an obstruction 🙂

Worth pointing out, I drove past two head on collisions on my way back from Torridon last week. It’s summer, which means lots of tourists on the roads and all the foliage is grown in making visibility difficult. We had a couple of near misses ourselves due to people misjudging corners/passing places.

Funny how driving there in the middle of winter, in snow, in the dark, feels so much safer than summer! Take care on the roads.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

That’s good to know, I guess I have the urban mindset- car will be stolen the moment you leave it unattended. Good point on the roads. We were actually planning to drive there overnight to arrive early morning. It’s a 10 hour drive so will be on a caffeine drip obviously.

peterfile
    Free Member

I much prefer driving in the highlands at night, I instinctively drive more slowly and the lights make other road users more visible. That said, the unpredictable paths the roads take can make the drive very tiring unless you are familiar with the route.

Keep your eyes peeled for deer though. Seriously.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As a project I quite fancy kayaking Loch Morar from Morar to Swordland I think it is, then hiking the boat over to Tarbet for a night at the hostel with it’s mental old hermit of a warden, then over Loch Nevis to Inverie for a night in the Old Forge (no accommodation so camping) then back via Mallaig and down the coast to the River Morar outlet, up the river (it’s all of 400 yards) but there’s a weir so walk over the road to pick up the car
    I think I’d prefer that to Loch Lomond with it’s transient population of pissed up Weegies

scraprider
    Free Member

Well back from me hols now just wanted to say had a great time , ended up on loch ard was brill as well wild camped no probs lots to explore so very very quiet indeed , parked van in the village hall car park for the nite dropped some money in the honesty box.

matt_outandabout

Loch Ard ain’t wild, its weeny and has hordes on it…;)

cbike
    Free Member

Loch Maree update – The water is high and some of the grassy bits are waterlogged or under water.
    The midges are mental and the Cleggs are massive and hungry and have done well this year. I don’t remember seeing that species before either! More white than brown and big triangle shape wings.

We abandoned due to insects and not the weather. Flat calm one minute and then f4 round the corner.

matt_outandabout

^that sounds normal and usual… 😉

onehundredthidiot

Cbike those cleggs might be what my mum call’s flying doctors. Not sure what the do but they hurt and leave you bleeding.

globalti
    Free Member

How many times have people abandoned their holiday in Scotland because of midges and cleggs? I know we did a few times when I was a kid.

matt_outandabout

Were they from south of Nottingham? 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Kayaking / wildcamping in scotland’ is closed to new replies.