Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kaffenback Sizing
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

In an attempt to be civil with my Ex, I’ve agreed to help her find a bike for some touring in France in the summer. The Planet X Kaffenback flat bar seems to fit the bill.
    She’s 5’7.5″ I’m thinking a Medium will fit the bill? Anyone any experience?

I’m 6’1″ and had an old large one which I always found a little small

brant
    Free Member

She wants medium.
    You need XL

grum
    Free Member

I’m about the same height as your wife and I found a medium a teeny bit long. This was the older one – dunno if the geometry has changed. I had drop bars on mine too – don’t know if that makes a difference.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

XL Brant? I’m 6’2″ and I’m ready to push the button on a large. I always, possibly wrongly, assumed XL to be for folks about 3 inches taller than me!.

brant
    Free Member

I used to ride L’s and how now gone XL. I’m six one and a bit.

lunge

I’m 6’4″ and my xl Kaffenback is about as small as I would want, lots of seatpost and a 130mm stem.

brant
    Free Member

Are we agreeing, Lunge?
    Or not?

lunge

I think we are indeed agreeing Brant. But getting mountain bikers to buy the right size bike rather than one that is “chuckable” will always be a challenge.

convert

Mountain bikers always seem to buy road orientated bikes with too short a top tube for them. I guess they are too used to ‘sit up and beg’.

woody2000

OP – I’m same size as your ex and ride a med flat bar kaffenback with 100mm stem. I do everything from day to day commuting to long day rides on it.

brant
    Free Member

I think we are indeed agreeing Brant. But getting mountain bikers to buy the right size bike rather than one that is “chuckable” will always be a challenge.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I am not 5’9″ and my bikes will always look a bit big.

I want to make 800c wheeled road bikes so that they get back into scale 😉

coopersport1
    Free Member

Yep I’m 6’1″ and wanted an XL and a large was just a tad too small. Medium it is as it’ll be in flat bar guise
    Cheers all

grum
    Free Member

Mountain bikers always seem to buy road orientated bikes with too short a top tube for them. I guess they are too used to ‘sit up and beg’.

Or… They have no desire to be a ‘proper roadie’ and just want to be comfortable.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m 5’8 and a bit. i find the medium too long.
    but i like a short feel.
    i think women’s bikes are generally shorter in top tube (?)
    it would do my neck in to tour on a medium. but maybe i have a relatively short torso/arms?

brant
    Free Member

i’m 5’8 and a bit. i find the medium too long.
    but i like a short feel.
    i think women’s bikes are generally shorter in top tube (?)
    it would do my neck in to tour on a medium. but maybe i have a relatively short torso/arms?

Of course, I changed the geometry on the new Kaffenbacks. Steeper seat, lower BB. Same TT length.
    I’m sure nobody noticed

MoreCashThanDash

Brant – I am 5’9″ and a bit and I’m resigned to always being on the cusp of S/M or M/L depending on the brand and type of bike

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kaffenback Sizing’ is closed to new replies.