Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Just sent my thesis off for printing
  • GregMay
    Free Member

After many months, many years, many arguments and many edits, I have finally sent my PhD thesis to the printers for a final version that I can submit for examination.

Would it be wrong to kiss the person in registry when I hand it in?

Bring on bikes and beer related nonsense for the next two weeks.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice one! Now get out there.

jamiep
    Free Member

Handing it in is such a disappointing, non-event after so much effort for so long. No trumpeters or red carpet. Just a form to sign

IHN

What’s it about?

cakefest
    Free Member

Hope the printers get it right…

timmys

I remember handing mine in and it being added to the stacks of literally hundreds of the buggers in the office. Took the shine off it a bit.

richpips
    Free Member

Well done Greg!

twinklydave

Would it be wrong to kiss the person in registry when I hand it in?

Judging by the people employed around here? Yes.

Anyway, nice one! Crack open a beer. Or go for a ride in the sunshine. Or both. 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Good one! I did the same a couple of months ago, waiting for viva in January…

GregMay
    Free Member

Anticlimaxes are only so if you make them so 🙂

I’m cycling in to pick it up, then hand in in lycra, then ride off for a few hours. Me time again. It is going to be awesome 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Well done!
    (Do you have to bind your thesis for examination? Wow!)
    I didn’t have time to crack open a beer as I flew out to a new job in the US just two days after submitting, so go drink a beer to make up for those I missed out on.

saxabar
    Free Member

Congrats! While there might not be much fanfare, it does provide a sense of finality and release. Go riding, enjoy wasting some time, catch up with friends in other towns/cities and get Christmassy (sod the naysayers).

FuzzyWuzzy

Grats! Now go find a job and join the rest of us in the real world :p

xcentric
    Free Member

wonder if it’s the one I’ve just been asked to examine…..?

GregMay
    Free Member

Cycled in, drank coffee while it was being printed, picked up coppies, checked, rechecked, walked over to Registry dresed as a spandex man…they were shut for staff training and I’ve an 8am ferry to Wales tomorrow…hmmm

Walk to school secretary…she’s handing in tomorrow for me 🙂

xcentric
    wonder if it’s the one I’ve just been asked to examine…..?

If your name is Brian and you’re in Dublin…quite possibly 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Also, if anyone is near Llandelga next week and fancies a spin, I’ll be a 30min pedal away 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Well done mate. I went out and celebrated handing in and demoing my dissertation with a glass of wine and then some bikes. Promptly fell of and broke my wrist. Do bikes, don’t do breakages.

GregMay
    Free Member

Just back from a spin 🙂 Croissant and coffee currently. Wine and packing later!

xcentric
    Free Member

congrats GregMay – look forward to reading it….

actually, it’s not going to be me – I’m not Brian and not in Dublin 🙂

But one piece of advice – it’s a thesis *defence*, so there’ll be bit that you need to fight back on, and bits that will test you to beyond breaking – and both those scenarios are ok. Good luck.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Congratulations on the write up and hand in. For me it was a relief to release it into the wild. Once you’ve done the viva, you’ll really feel it. Remember, less than 1% has a PhD (although I can’t find the ref for that so don’t quote).

br
    Free Member

Kept a copy?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Nice one.

GregMay
    Free Member

Thanks all, haven’t kept a copy, will when I print off the final version assusming the Viva goes ok.

xcentric –
    definitely looking forward to the defence aspect. Strange as it may appear, I love that aspect of what I do. Talking at conferences, debating, getting my point across, all part of the ego game that is being a scientist I suppose.

Will just have to see how it goes! But now…festive period and beer!

johnny63

Cycled in, drank coffee while it was being printed, picked up copies, checked, re-checked, walked over to Registry dressed as a spandex man…they were shut for staff training and I’ve an 8am ferry to Wales tomorrow…hmmm

Jeez Greg, hope you had the spell checker up and running – above now fixed too, so you are now good to go 🙂

No Nationals next year then? Been missing those smiley legs this season

Good luck with the thesis and compliments of the season to you and yours!

Johnny (Phoenix CC)

flyingmm

Congrats! I’m having serious thesis envy as I’m at the point of putting ‘finger to keyboard’ with it due in by the end of March – feels like Mt Everest ahead. Can only imagine what it must feel like up there at the summit. Well done and enjoy the riding!

GregMay
    Free Member

johnny63 – Alright fella! Yeah, CX season was a write off, no point in trying to race, no training does not make a fast Greg. May make nationals, won’t be racing as no way I can justify my kit at the moment 🙂

Flyingmm – Not going to lie…it will take longer than you expect unless you do nothing else but it. Why wait, get working on your structure today.

flyingmm

Cheers GregMay, I’m full time so it will be full on but just about doable with sweat and toil. Structure sorted so just filling the gaps now. What was your work on out of interest?

marko75
    Free Member

Congrats… now have some time off before looking at it all again for the viva! There are normally a few corrections so you might as well get a copy once its been formally accepted!

Handing in is a let down and so is the viva – you hype it up internally and then when its over you think ‘ Is this it?’. Dont worry about the viva its just a chat to join the club – remember the most important answer is “I am sorry Prof but I dont know!’ I used it more than once – dont try and bulls*** your way through or it will last 6 hours rather than the normal 2-3 hours!

Enjoy beer and riding 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Just sent my thesis off for printing’ is closed to new replies.