• This topic has 54 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • just put a full tank of diesel…..
  • franksinatra

….in Mrs S’s petrol car. Drove it until it cobbled and i realised what i had done.

How much do you reckon a tank drain will be? Obviously need to write off the tank full of fuel. Balls.

anagallis_arvensis

Tank drain was £ 200 for me phoned rac and they sorted a local person. I didnt start it though.

tonyg2003

http://dieselhead.co.uk/

http://www.racshop.co.uk/car-maintenance/maintenance-essentials/product/rac-fuelsure-diesel-misfuelling-prevention-device.html

Used both on these on my diesels.

Probably £150 to get the tank drained and fingers crossed that the petrol hasn’t screwed anything else in the engine or ££££’s

hora
    Free Member

****. What car?

franksinatra

Peugeot 107, diesel in petrol engine

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Word of warning, don’t take it to a main dealer to be repaired or tell the main dealer if the car is still under warrenty.

franksinatra

Why the hell it it even possible to do this? My 5 year old daughter could design different nozzles for different fuels that don’t fit in opposing tanks.

neilthewheel

I did it the other way round, petrol in the diesel. It was my own car too and I’d had it for 6 years. Anyway, it cost me £200 to drain it and of course the cost of a tank of fuel. Dammit.

allthegear
    Free Member

I thought the pipe entrance was smaller on petrol cars to stop that being possible now??

Rachel

landcruiser
    Free Member

Isn’t that the difficult one to do? What with nozzle sizes and stuff ! What happened?

EDIT: though potentially the less catastrophic .

franksinatra

Not under warranty. Breakdown cover offered a drain tonight but that was 200 plus vat. Having it towed to my local garage that does my servicing, i know they are fair.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I work for Peugeot/citroen and to fill that 106 with diesel you have had to hold the diesel to the filler neck because it won’t fit in. But it still gets done regularly.

franksinatra

Nozzle just went in. Asda pump.

franksinatra

It does fit in.

convert

It would be so easy to put a little chip in the entrance to the tank and a sensor on the hose of the pump – a bit like those clever cat flaps. It senses the wrong one and it refuses to serve you.

Drac

It would be so easy to put a little chip in the entrance to the tank and a sensor on the hose of the pump – a bit like those clever cat flaps

IIRC it has been developed but has never been taken up.

carlosg
    Free Member

My sisters boyfriend did it the other way round , it cost him £250 including new fuel filter via a friend of a friend.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? Petrol filler necks are a smaller diameter and shouldn’t fit a diesel filler in. But it will go in partly but not fully due to a restriction. To stop this.

rickmeister

You know those cards that play birthday message songs.. Imagine one attached to the fuel cap that sings

Its petrol from the pump
    Do not be a chump
    Diesel is a pain
    Your tank will need a drain

Or t’other way round…

franksinatra

Scottish borders, filled up at Asda in Galashiels

downgrade
    Free Member

some good ideas here, they could make the pumps different colours as well I reckon

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Bit far for me to help you but ill give you a bit of bad news, in my experience 8/10 times in a few weeks/months the EML light will come on and the fault will be a cat ageing fault, the cat has been damaged beyond repair by the diesel and the porous oxygen sensor really don’t like it either.
    And you don’t want to know how much the cat is for that little 3 cylinder engine…

scotroutes

Great idea. I suggest green for unleaded petrol and black for diesel

Drac

. I suggest green for unleaded petrol and black for diesel

I suggest Red from premium petrol, green for normal and blue for diesel.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Did the same last week and rang the AA, they wanted £260 and took 4 hours, we rang fuel doctor and they were here within the hour for £125.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member
    Not under warranty. Breakdown cover offered a drain tonight but that was 200 plus vat. Having it towed to my local garage that does my servicing, i know they are fair.

This is what I did, AA wanted £200 + VAT or something similar, got them to drop it off at my local garage who did it for £120 all in (or figures around those amounts).

zokes
    Free Member

It would be so easy to put a little chip in the entrance to the tank and a sensor on the hose of the pump – a bit like those clever cat flaps

>> IIRC it has been developed but has never been taken up.

I know the latest Land Rovers are fitted with a device that won’t let you put petrol in them. Not quite sure how it works though (and as the owner of one, have no intention of finding out!)

Northwind

My mate Pete keeps putting diesel in his ducati. On the bright side it’s quite easy to drain the tank.

franksinatra

Still waiting for recovery, 1hr 25 min and counting. I am about a mile from home but need to stay with the car.

br
    Free Member

FS

You’ll be fine, when I filled my Misses (and having met her you can probably imagine the 5h1t I was in) diesel with petrol I had to get it drained by the RAC. But, then used the contaminated fuel in my petrol Beemer (RAC Man said it’d be fine) – so your Wife’s car should be fine once emptied.

br
    Free Member

I’d have left it in the car park, and sorted it tomorrow 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

chrisdiesel – Member

Such an apposite username.

luffy105
    Free Member

Petrol in diesel is not a biggy. I used to live in the alps and if I couldn’t get cold weather diesel used to put a litre of petrol in to stop it going to jelly. Did that in a few different cars with no ill effects and didnt have the tank freeze on me.

Unfortunately diesel in a petrol engine can be a real problem if you have driven it. Mainly because it buggers the catalytic converter. I hope that this is not the case here but be prepared for some expensively bad news. If you get away with a tank drain count yourself very lucky.

zokes
    Free Member

Petrol in diesel is not a biggy.

Apart from causing the high pressure fuel pump and injectors to catastrophically fail due to lack of lubrication, no, it isn’t 🙄

hora
    Free Member

IF it does bugger your cat see bow much your garage will charge to fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xpeugeot+107+catalyst+convertor&_nkw=peugeot+107+catalyst+convertor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

IF your engines knackered there are regularly those diddy like engines up for sale too due to rear end write off etc. A decent indie wouldnt take that long. (As a side note I think they only weigh 65kg?!).

Cracking little cars 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why bother with a chip. Put a triangular nozzle on one.

nealglover
    Free Member

some good ideas here, they could make the pumps different colours as well I reckon

Great idea.

They could write “diesel” or “petrol” on the pumps as well.

That would help surely 😉

StefMcDef
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member

Still waiting for recovery, 1hr 25 min and counting. I am about a mile from home but need to stay with the car.

Reminds me of a joke. What do you call a Scottish guy who’s about a mile from his house?

Hamish!

Nae luck OP – could see me doing that if I was a more-than-one-car household with more than one fuel type involved.

luke
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky if you do it on a range rover and call out land rover assist via land rover insurance they insist on replacing both tanks and the fuel lines and some other bits and bobs. A friend did it 3 times at the same petrol station over a six month period.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The good news is that if the tank was low on petrol when this happened then the diesel is probably fine to use again. Especially if you don’t use it all at once.

Your engine however could be borked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘just put a full tank of diesel…..’ is closed to new replies.